Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Simplex shifters are friction.

Riders often, like me at that time too, preferred the click shift, indexed shifting, of the Shimano levers.

Thanks!!

Great to know, I wonder if they were installed from the get-go. As a restoration project, is it worth finding and fitting the matching simplex shifters?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

​Anyone know where I can find an original seatpost? and also why the Shimano 105 shifters would have been used instead of the matching simplex ones?

Why do you say it's not an original seat post?

What make and size seat post are you after? We may be able to assist.

Remind me on Friday evening to look if I have a spare pair of Simplex gear levers to sell you.

The only reason really is that the guy at the bike store was convinced. Upon closer inspection,  the seat is a leather iscaselle, the seatpost seems to be a generic no-namer, size 26.4. Cant find any other identification on it?

Thanks!!

Great to know, I wonder if they were installed from the get-go. As a restoration project, is it worth finding and fitting the matching simplex shifters?

I think the Simplex retro friction levers were the best Downtube shifters ever made.

I think the Simplex retro friction levers were the best Downtube shifters ever made.

I agree, have a pair on my Zeus!

What type of Simplex shifters are you looking for...? I have a set with rear derailleur and front derailleur.

post-341-0-95179800-1437655914.jpg

Interested in the saddle, nice, found this looking up CYCSAD

Saddle?
An old Brooks. This particular saddle is rather special because it was made in SA under licence. It appears to have been a partnership that ended when Cycsad took over the manufacturing and branded the saddles as Cycsad (a standard on many old SA made dikwiels)
Except that this one's leather is buggered, so I'll be making a replacement out of rawhide and then covering it with sheepskin (just for a little local flavour). Graeme Murray will be assisting in the shaping of the saddle because he knows about those things.

What a pity a bit of dubbin every now and again could have resulted in a lovely saddle. Here is one I found the other day. Too far to save. Tried to soak it in water for a few days and reshape but did not work!

post-44986-0-13571900-1437802961_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loose cog

I've found an early Shimano square taper crank set from 1979, so obviously quite special and 'hard to find'.

Trouble is the square taper on the non-drive side is a little 'buggered', it's obviously been ridden while a bit loose and the square bit is now a roundish bit!

I've thought of inserting a bb axle and stuffing the 'holes' with plastic steel, but there may be a better way.

Anyone have any ideas?

Can someone with a machine shop 'reuild' the inside of the square taper?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Hi guys. I'm on the lookout for a set of pursuit bars in the shape pictured. Needs to have a clamp size of 26 mm. Other measurements and colour aren't important.

post-64130-0-95795800-1437806527_thumb.jpeg