Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Graham W said:

I have one you welcome to use. I'm in alberton PM and we can arrangeĀ 

Thank you for the offer. I will PM when I am coming out that way. I hope I can find one for sale as it's a very useful tool to have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 3:23 PM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Far as I'm aware, all SA Lejeune's will be English. Easiest way to get that cup off is to clamp it in a vice, hit it with a heat gun and then rotate the frame. That gives you a lot more leverage.

Hey Buff, i am going to hijack for a guick question.Ā 

I was on YouTube found your video on etching.Ā  Want to know if you have etched the decals on a frame?Ā 

Have a De Rosa Wind aluminum i want to give the frame a high polish with etched decals would the work or create weak spots in the frame.

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

Hey Buff, i am going to hijack for a guick question.Ā 

I was on YouTube found your video on etching.Ā  Want to know if you have etched the decals on a frame?Ā 

Have a De Rosa Wind aluminum i want to give the frame a high polish with etched decals would the work or create weak spots in the frame.

Not going to dip the frame but maybe the earbud route.Ā 

You could etch it but very lightly. The earbud route will work best as you basically just want to burn it rather than deep etch. Just bear in mind that etching will not work well if a part is anodized so make sure the frame is clean. Another option is laser burning.

1 minute ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

You could etch it but very lightly. The earbud route will work best as you basically just want to burn it rather than deep etch. Just bear in mind that etching will not work well if a part is anodized so make sure the frame is clean. Another option is laser burning.

Cool i will give it a bash. Frame is yellow and blue but i am going to strip the paint and polish.Ā 

I'd suggest doing a test piece under the BB first to see if you get a decent consistency before hitting one of the more visible tubes.

Will test. And what to use to get a gray etching salt or vinegar? . Salt for the first etch to get the depth or outlines.Ā 

And also, if you'd like to save yourself a ton of work stripping that paint, just have the frame vapour blasted. It's far less abrasive than sand or bead blasting and gives a great finish to start your sanding and polish process.

Just now, Barry said:

Will test. And what to use to get a gray etching salt or vinegar? . Salt for the first etch to get the depth or outlines.Ā 

Salt should do it but be careful of getting any depth. Those tubes are less than 0.5mm thick so go gently.

3 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

And also, if you'd like to save yourself a ton of work stripping that paint, just have the frame vapour blasted. It's far less abrasive than sand or bead blasting and gives a great finish to start your sanding and polish process.

Cool will look into that. Just a fun project have the bike laying around so time to play and try somthing different.Ā 

Salt should do it but be careful of getting any depth. Those tubes are less than 0.5mm thick so go gently.

Yep that was my worry but i will go for a burn and avoid any depth.

10 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Ā 

The vapour blasting sounds interesting.

Ā 

Ā 

Note to self .... Must read up on this ....

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Ā 

The vapour blasting sounds interesting.

Ā 

Ā 

Note to self .... Must read up on this ....

It's very interesting Chris, they use water and a fine glass slurry as abrasive material to blast. It's so much less abrasive than conventional sand blasting that you can even blast a piston without losing any tolerances so it's perfect for those thin tubed bicycle frames. It's very popular in motorcycle restoration for cleaning aluminum parts.