Whats the best way to replace MTB grips

garthzga

Any One have advice on how to replace MTB grips. I am replacing rubber with rubber (not Lock grips) and this doesnt look like an easy job.

Apparently windolene or rubbing alcohol, whatever that is, should be used. Let it dry/evaporate for 24hrs before riding.

No people.

Don't attempt to pull the grip off or squirt stuff between the grip and the bar. To get the grip off super easy, loosen your shifters/brake levers (depending what is right next to the grip, and push the grip off from the inside out using the shifters/brake clamp.

Slide on with sunlight soap and water mix. once on wait to dry. If the grips don't move, ride. If they do, put a small flat screwdriver under the grip to make a gap and drop some super glue in. let dry and ride. 

Some grips without ends can be installed with a plastic bag between the grip and bars. put the grip on and then pull the plastic bag out.

Spray paint on the inside of the grip and push on while still wet. TEST ON SMALL BIT OF GRIP FIRST!

I have a few more but that shoudl get you into a situation for starters.

One word: Hairspray.

Just spray a little on the bar and inside the grips and it slides right on. After a few hours the hairspray dries leaving a tacky layer preventing the grips from moving.

To get old grips off slide something thin (like a thin screwdriver) between the grip and bars and spray a little hairspray in the gap. remove the screwdriver and the hairspray should "bleed" around the grip allowing you to slip it right off.

A word of caution though. If you are using carbon bars or very thin aluminum bars you can damage them by sliding a screw driver between the grip and bar so be very, very careful.

Azonics method of removing grips also works very well.

Any One have advice on how to replace MTB grips. I am replacing rubber with rubber (not Lock grips) and this doesnt look like an easy job.

Do yourself a favor and look at foam grips like the Ritchey WCS (http://www.cwcycles.co.za/ritchey_wcs_light_grips.html) they are light and oh, so comfortable and cheap. I also tend to loaf on my bars, so take my word for it they are really comfortable.

To fit mine I rolled old rubber grips off, put a little oil on the rubber inner and slid them into place.  

The only way to remove grips without any solvent/soap/hairsparay etc etc.

Get a pump that has a needle fitting on it (The fitting you pump rugby/soccer balls with) pump into the one side and the other will fly off, this wont work if you have bar ends, or if the end of the grips are cut off. Otherwise if you replacing worn grips, just cut them off, warm up the new ones this makes them plyable and slide them on, when the cool they will tighten their "grip"

Super easy if you have access to an air compressor.

Lift the edge of the grip slightly and blow some air under there while you simply slide the grip off.

The same to put new ones on.

Don't roll them off, this tends to stretch them out.

Easy solution - get lock-on grips. So much better, and not that much more expensive. And you should just need to pull them off by pulling against the inner edge of the grips (the side closest to the shifters) if you try to pull them of with your hand wrapped around them, they just stretch and contract. If you pull them from the inner edge (pushing outwards on the same edge also works) then the grips shorten and expand.