SA ladies team for China Tour

Cruxpearl

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey hey well done to all the girls going!!!!you girls are awesome!!!

whoo hooo go robs!

you know this is the state of affairs in SA Sport.

Choose a race at the time of SA champs, somepro's don't want and aren't allowed to ride overseas, some pro's aren't allowed to race track in case they get selected for SA Team. 

But at the same time the 'pro's' need to learn what it is to be a pro. We have been very dissappointed by some big names in SA cycling in terms of loyalty. So this could be a good thing in that some titles won't be defended!! 

All this just makes it diificult for the next pro in the row! 

Any news of what the selection criteria was for riders to China , called CSA - no answer , and why miss SA's .

Any news of what the selection criteria was for riders to China ' date=' called CSA - no answer , and why miss SA's . [/quote']

I guess its difficult for the National team to hve the best riders going to China but you can look at it from many ways

As a sponsor the national racing scene is far more important that your rider going oveseas especially when it conflicts with National champs, afterall a win in the champs is probably more important for a rider than a trip to ride in a race that "they" get no coverage

I think its a good idea to blood young riders and the ladies going have a mixture of youth and experience a well as determination to do well.

it would be nice if Ronel, Merissa or Anriette were going but I think these girls have "been there done that" and riding for the National team is not high on their priorities. If it fits in the schedule then they might make themselves available.

The other solution... postpone the race until the girls get back from China... Possibly the best all round solution.

I asked why we are going and as understood we need UCI points and to qualify for the Olympics.  I looked it up and this is how I understand it  - but please correct me if I am wrong:

http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/2road-E.pdf on page 64 / 64 it explains what points can be scored at the National Champs /  one day and stage races etc.  The plan probably is that we try and score as many possible points still this year (over 1 weekend)!

The girls will score a certain amount of UCI points at SA champs (does not matter who wins).

The girls going to China will hopefully also score some points. (there no asia, europe / africa in ladies cycling - points go towards one ranking). 

But I think we should not make the mistake of underextimating the other teams and at that the chinese. Their girls are really doing well and won a mountain bike world cup a few weeks ago.

We are now ranked 16th ination in the world in ladies cycling.  If the girls don't go and score points somewhere there is a possibility that we might drop out of the top 24 teams on the rankings meaning we do not qualify the ladies for Olympics (top 16 teams qualify 3 riders and 17 - 24 qualify 2 riders).  If an SA rider finishes in top 3 at World B's we have 1 individual qualification which means an extra rider. Also if an SA rider is ranked in the top 8 individually - another one can go. So there is a possibility that a few countries will have 4 or 5 riders there.

If the girls stay in the top 24 and qualify SASCOC has to take 2 girls at least to Beijing.  Otherwise no SA representative in that catagory.

Having Yolandi competing in Europe also brings in points, but 1 girl scoring points is not enough, and as it goes she is doing well, adapting, but not yet winning abroad in the world cup races. (though we all holding thumbs)

1  1  GERMANY  GER  2412.74 
2  3  SWITZERLAND  SUI  1673.98 
3  2  NETHERLANDS  NED  1627.43 
4  5  GREAT BRITAIN  GBR  1430.33 
5  4  ITALY  ITA  1328.32 
6  6  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA  USA  1074.17 
7  8  SWEDEN  SWE  1016.51 
8  7  AUSTRALIA  AUS  871.18 
9  10  RUSSIAN FEDERATION  RUS  848.32 
10  9  LITHUANIA  LTU  843.66 
11  12  FRANCE  FRA  470.05 
12  13  DENMARK  DEN  449.31 
13  11  AUSTRIA  AUT  412.99 
14  14  KAZAKHSTAN  KAZ  406.66 
15  15  BRAZIL  BRA  246 
16  16  SOUTH AFRICA  RSA  213 
17  20  CANADA  CAN  187 
18  26  UKRAINE  UKR  177 
19  18  NEW ZEALAND  NZL  174.33 
20  19  POLAND  POL  169

For interest sake:  Yolandi is now ranked 50th with 85 points - Nicole Cooke leading with 1354. 

So - yes this might be the wrong timing to go on a tour - but the girls must get some points somewhere. 

This brings me to question:  it is now all good and well - but will the girls be of any competition at Beijing?  It is just more than a year - other countries have 3-4 year plans for Olympics.  Maybe Yolandi - she is the only one competing against the best in the world at the moment, but you can't be alone.  The federation wants the points to qualify them - and then? What is the plan to win the olympics or will we only be filling the spot?  Who are they getting ready for it? 

The girls will go race thier best for the points needed, achieve the needed points and get selected for the Olympics, then get given R2000,00 by CSA and then get told its an honour to ride for your country so you must get the other R100000,00 to get to China.

Oh almost forgot at the last minute the South African Olympic Comitee will give the riders a track suit.

The officials and the wives and husbands will be sent to see what lessons can be learnt, CSA foots all thier bills and 1st class air tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

interesting,but Yolandi is not scoring points in Europe ,hardly gets a start with A team Lotto and when does normally is dnf .All points have come from below par events with no international competeition only SA team mates to race against . 3 SA ladies are able to compete with best in world Marissa Chrissie Ronel and score uci points . no one else . Cherise totally over rated and Anke has passed sell by date at International level . Invitations to top events sanctioned by uci are given to first 10 nations and top 15 ladies pro teams as of 1st jan 07 . Not a great pictue .      

Well, why China. A friend of my dad was there a couple of weeks ago. The Chinese currency is about the same value as the Rand, so in terms of cost it would make sence. Though, you can buy much more with C1 than with R1.

Some of the sponsors said that certain people are not allowed to go to China due to SA's on the same weekend....it was in the papers..

Also have to agree with Crux' date=' this might not be a true reflection...but same goes for the team that was chosen, the line up might be different if everyone was available to race in China

So go Minolta and C-bist, please don't dissappoint and let pro line win...

AND THE POLITICS INTERFERE AGAIN
[/quote']

Cherise totally over rated 
Must say, best giggle I had in a long time!!!!

So a totally overrated first year Junior Cyclist finishes 6th at Junior Word Championships against girls mostly a year older???

How did that happen?

You call that overrated???

WOW!!!! You really have some issues!!!!
Cruxpearl2007-05-25 01:26:55

Have to agree with you Crux, i'm sure a totally overrated rider won't kill most elite competition most of them almost 10 years older than her. She also rode away from a lot of strong guys sunday in benoni!!!

Guest Big H

Grapkas en die res van die meisies gaan kick butt..... oppas net om te hoog te skop daai meisies is kort en jy kan haar dalk in die gesig skop..... nie dat mens dit sal agterkom nie maar dit sal nie nice wees nie. Oppas wat julle eet. Ek het lank saam met die chiaanees gewerk. 'n Alsation steak Cordon Bleu is baie lekkerder as Sweet and Sour Franse Poedel. Aap en slang kan ook lekker wees. Julle hoef nie bekommerd te wees nie julle sal die menu's nie verstaan nie en al verstaan julle die menus sal julle nooit weet wat eet julle werklik nie. Alles is ten minste lekker en onthou julle sal nie doodgaan van dit nie.!!!!!

Geniet!!!!!!!

Sernoche 1

I dont think you have a clue what Yolandi is doing and for that matter the races she is riding in Europe