Crater Cruise

mtbrd

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing the 56km but heard the 100k is flat and hard!!  Went for a 70km ride in that area last week, not alot of climbs...Vroetelvarkie2009-09-09 08:02:21

Hi, I have done all of them since started.  It starts with 8km road and then 70% of the route are open gravel road.  The new climb that was introduced 2 years ago throug a farm is tough.  The new single track portion is great.  At the end it is a long day in the saddle but the water poins make it worth it.  O yes and moset important, YOU WILL SHAKE YOUR ASS OFFFFFFFFFFFF.  I have already entered the 105 and the 56 the Sunday, see you there!

Long .. and bumpy, can also be hot and dry. Done three of them, last one I hit the wall and had to walk a lot but it was my first ride in two years since a back op (good excuse) but did manage to finish,... just. The added a last detour up a granite outcrop which I did not think was very funny... bliksems, otherwise well organised.

Its a beautiful part of the country, and I am so there coz I got a serious impact crater fetish and this is the mother of all caters, or remnants thereof. I think is almost a World Heritage Site.

Did it last year in blistering heat. Do some good solid training for this one and make sure to get used to some bumpy roads. GREEEEAAAAT water point at 75 then some shaking hit the tar then some single track up platklip then around the railway track with some short ups and downs then the magic bridge will take you home. Entered for the double which is the 101 and 56. see you all on the track.

I rode the blockhouse the other day next to a dude with slicks. Wish I was him most of the ride as a lot was on standard dirt and tar roads. You will see tar and quite a bit of standard off roads but most certainly single track sand and the rest as well. Sticking to my Maxxis Crossmarks front at 1.8 and rear 2.2. Found this the perfect mix for Epic as well.

If I recall the last climb over the "rock" has the words "SORRY" or "YAMMER" painted on.

I remember last year the 8 km section next to the river (up and down and up and down)was fun for the first few kays then got extremely tiring. Doing it agin this year.

Why cant they get SS timing to do the timing? Hate these bloody things where you have to wear the chip. I have the other one - the one they dont use in the CC - and I'm not going to buy a new one. Crap not to have an official time.

I agree with you. Why not standerdize!!!! I own SS chip for Mini Tri, Champion chip for CC, Winningtime for other and I just saw that I will have to fork out another R100 for some other chip in the Telkom Satelite. What are they thinking. I would like to go to 1 site and get all the info in 1 place. Eish. I recon this calls for a slow strike. I will thus do all my races and half pace Cool

Have done only one and I lost my sense of humour totally toward the end. Bloody long and hard. Think I am about ready to do one again.

Doing both rides again this year.

Not too difficult except for the corrugated part in the last bit of the race. Very fast race, so similar to blockhouse. I liked the timeout option halfway last year. Gives you a chance to recoup.

I did the 100km when it was 1st held and recall a number of riders doing it on rigid fork hybrids, have not done one since as its the same weekend as Race4Victory.

Going to (try and) do both. Pity I wont be timed though - not that I'll break any records but it is nice to gauge yourself against the rest of the field (not that they will be timed because I can't see everybody rushing off to buy chips)

Going to (try and) do both. Pity I wont be timed though - not that I'll break any records but it is nice to gauge yourself against the rest of the field (not that they will be timed because I can't see everybody rushing off to buy chips)

Agree, using all these chips at different races. If they organize a race you at least expect to be timed and have your position. Not to go out and purchase additional timing chips for that. There are also only a few doing this, but to go and purchase a chip that you might only use for 1 race a year is stupid. And if you look at the chip and housing it comes in, where do you put this thing.