24 hour at Rietvlei

Wendell

I did note a few Chumba riders going home after the storm - seems they didn't want to dirty their bikesShocked

Ja it's a little too soon for that XTR upgrade... not!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did note a few Chumba riders going home after the storm - seems they didn't want to dirty their bikesShocked

a couple of our guys went out... and came back after 500m , with so much mud clogging up the wheels that it wasnt' worth it to ride. We left, and went back yesterday morning...

Wait for the special from CWC. "Post 24 hour Groupset specials"

Our team almost had a fist fight over who was going to ride the single speed next.  Ride was great fun.

I thought the fight was over how will next sacrifice their drive train to the bog fairies to see if the new/newer route is ride-able. LOL  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Talk about sacrifice, seams the road bike was spared the bone fire?? Wink 

PS: Thanks again for allowing me to squat at your camp site. Clap

A big thank you to Wendell and everyone else involved in this event. This is one of the better events I have attended and enjoyed every moment of it.

Thank you.

Yes, thanks to Wendell who had a lot to do with the route but it was Dimitri from Omni-Motion that made it what it was...for the 10th year!?

Our team almost had a fist fight over who was going to ride the single speed next.  Ride was great fun.

I thought the fight was over how will next sacrifice their drive train to the bog fairies to see if the new/newer route is ride-able. LOL  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Talk about sacrifice' date=' seams the road bike was spared the bone fire?? Wink 

PS: Thanks again for allowing me to squat at your camp site. Clap

[/quote']

So true, after the first peat bog experience no one was eager to make the sacrifice.  A lot of research and collection was done until at 7AM the prognosis was that the trail was dry enough to try again.  (Un)fortunately half the team was not convinced, so more laps for me.  One pirate lap on the goose (forgot my number on the SS from the previous night) and finished off with 4 laps on the SS after that.  At least we had a good party after sunset.

ps my camp site is your campsite.  Pity Cat-i was not brave enough to face the dead marines..........

Guest Agteros

Omni-Motion results page down... Cry

Anybody know when it will be up and updated?

That is where I got my XT crank from just before the 24hr, decided not to put it on till after the 24hr.

What happened on the hub, my Avatar is missing and had a message saying something about you don,t have sufficient rights to post picture.

What happened on the hub' date=' my Avatar is missing and had a message saying something about you don,t have sufficient rights to post picture.
[/quote']

Gonna have to get that post count up....LOL

What happened on the hub' date=' my Avatar is missing and had a message saying something about you don,t have sufficient rights to post picture.
[/quote']

Gonna have to get that post count up....LOL

Working on it, maybe they must have another Shirt competition before Christmas.

?

Our team almost had a fist fight over who was going to ride the single speed next.? Ride was great fun.

Erm, not THE single speed MY single speed. At least we know you are converted now. And I know your arse is itching already.

Anyway at least we were able to enjoy the beers after we gave up. Great weekend though.

So true' date=' after the first peat bog experience no one was eager to make the sacrifice.  A lot of research and collection was done until at 7AM the prognosis was that the trail was dry enough to try again.  (Un)fortunately half the team was not convinced, so more laps for me.  One pirate lap on the goose (forgot my number on the SS from the previous night) and finished off with 4 laps on the SS after that.  At least we had a good party after sunset.

ps my camp site is your campsite.  Pity Cat-i was not brave enough to face the dead marines..........
[/quote']

cat-i was cleaning her bike:

20091207_144414_dirtybike.jpg

so sorry i missed you guys!!

What a hectic weekend - flight out of Cape Town was delayed on Friday because of thunder storms up in Jhb (should have taken the hint), with us only eventually getting to bed at about 2:30 on Saturday morning. Got up early to buy the last of the snacks and supplies before heading across to Alberton. After sitting in the traffic for about 2 hours (and almost heading off to Durban) we made it the venue 20 minutes before the start.

And then they gave me my race number - 13. (I really should have taken the hint)

I hastily got some kit on, put on some sunblock, applied some bum cream, gave Anton the pre-race evil eye and the next thing I knew we were racing. I had put my bike back together earlier that morning, but I hadn't taken it for a test ride, so that first lap was spent trying fine tune the gears, sort the shock out and generally try to find a rhythm on the bike, which at the pace we set off was quite difficult.

Where did you Jhb guys hide all the air? I always thought that people used the "thin" air as an excuse, but after experiencing that for the first time I now understand. And the heat - I got a max of 36C. I have a new respect for Jhb MTBers and cyclists in general.

The course was good, a little bit of everything for everyone - I was only too glad when they took that horrible section in the beginning out after the rain - it felt like I was riding aimlessly around a field looking for 10c piece...

The atmosphere in and about the camp was great - it is really cool seeing so many people making a weekend out of an event like this.

And then the rain came. I hadn't packed any rain gear (after all, it's summer and that means no rain in Cape Town!). That first lap after the rain took me about an hour - I fell 3 times, had to dunk my bike in the dam to free up the back wheel, and completely soaked my second (of two) sets of kit. The next lap wasn't much better, and after falling quite hard I decided to call it a night. The only problem being that we didn't bring a tent or any sleeping stuff. We managed to borrow some stuff from the Specialized crowd, and spent the next 4 hours crammed into the back of our hired Polo.

Just before sunrise, we got up, I put the wet and mud soaked shorts and shoes and a clean shirt on, and got back on the bike. Amazingly, my legs felt a lot better (I think I got out before the Jhb guys hid the air again), and put in some good laps. Any real chance of doing well was long gone, and being able to ride for fun was great. Anton had pretty much sewn up the race with some great laps early on, and then perservering through the night.

I think I saw several hubbers, but I have no idea who was who. I was wearing the yellow Maverick kit, and later the orange and grey Cycle Addiction kit.

To the organisers - a great event (and good improvising given the rainy circumstances), the riders - well done for surviving an interesting 24 hours of bike riding: from the winners right down to the guys riding in takkies and PT shorts - well done, the supporters: thank you - without you us riders wouldn't last 3 laps, and to the people that broke the showers - damn you!! I had to fly down to Cape Town looking (and smelling) like something the cat brought in! Thankfully we weren't delayed this time and eventually got to bed at 10pm after a long long weekend...

Some one asked me at the finish if I would be back, and I was rather non-committal, but a day later and I can say that I definitely will be back.

So true' date=' after the first peat bog experience no one was eager to make the sacrifice.  A lot of research and collection was done until at 7AM the prognosis was that the trail was dry enough to try again.  (Un)fortunately half the team was not convinced, so more laps for me.  One pirate lap on the goose (forgot my number on the SS from the previous night) and finished off with 4 laps on the SS after that.  At least we had a good party after sunset.

[/quote']

Now there is a first............  deep sections on a mountain bikeLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

[/quote']

Now there is a first............  deep sections on a mountain bikeLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LOL

when i saw her pop out of the long grass on the way back after having to abandon that lap, it looked more like a disc wheel!

Velouria, what a cool race report, thanks for sharing that lap we rode together, that was really something special.