Sad/Pathetic local cycling news!

shade

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not disputing the summons. but if you wanta avoid other sorts of action, let's get a coupla of facts right. i can tell you as a fact that he is no longer associated with bicycling itself

believe my info's a bit more recent (this morning) than yours. have it on good authority that ingpen has had nothing to do with the title for two years now.  

ten minste praat ek net strooi en piss ek nie mense af nie, as jy so anti telkom is hoekom kies jy nie 'n ander groep om sleg te se nie, daar is ander groepe, wat maak ons anders of ken jy ons almal persoonlik???

You still can't teach that dog new tricks, like your rottweiler do not LIKE you though

Dosntthe little paper we sign when we do races/ join ppa say we cant take legal action any damages or losses that happen during races

I've been told by a lawyer that these indemnities we sign really mean nothing if you can prove gross negligence on another rider or the oganiser's side.

Same as the "At your own risk" signs you see anywhere really.

If someone does something really k@k stupid or reckless and causes you personal injury or loss' date=' you can sue them irrespective of these notices.

[/quote']

Quite correct.

If one can prove negligence, there is a valid case irrespective of any notice or indemnity.

However in my opinion, it will be seen as a "known risk" by most courts if it ever gets there which is unlikely.

He is simply been opportunistic.

I would think (that of course if its true)' date=' that the PPA and CSA should been notified (officially), and they should inform the "sue'er" that if the case goes to court he cannot ride in any race / funride untill the court decide if cyclists can sue each other.

Remember now that its not only these 2 parties involved, but the orginisers and Cycling body.[/quote']

PPA are aware and corresponding, providing the official report, BUT have distanced themselves and made it clear they not involved as 'you enter at your own risk'

Bicycling Magazine has been incorrectly associated with legal action instated by Paul Ingpen against two defendants relating to a bicycle crash during a race in 2005.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />BicyclingonName> Magazine is one of the titles published by Touchline Media and its single purpose is to ensure that the individuals? experience of riding a bike is enhanced through credible, knowledgeable, informative and inspirational editorial. This single minded purpose has ensured that the title has struck and continues to strike a positive cord with the broader cycling public.

Neither BicyclingonName> Magazine nor Touchline Media have any involvement or bias what so ever in the action instituted by Paul Ingpen, it is a private matter and is done in his personal capacity and relates to his experience in a race participated in his personal capacity in 2005.?

hmmmm, ok, so considering i have witnesses (uninvolved 3rd parties who were standing next to the road watching the 'shova) when the dumb $%^* switched me last year, why don't i track her details down and sue her? let's see... 2 days in st augustines, 2 day procedures at wilgeheuwel, physio, etc, etc, pain and SUFFERING (yep folk, i confess to having cried from pain ever day since the plate was taken out on wednesday until i was switched to myprodols about 3 hours ago)... hmmmm, i could make a fortune.

thing is, i KNOW the risks involved in cycling and participation in these big events. it's a risk i was willing to take. what we do need to remember is that in SA huge emphasis is placed on "the reasonable man" point of view. as such i don't see anything going mr ingpen's way - due to his background he is reasonable MORE aware than the rest of us what the risks are.

people like this are pathetic and hopefully he will be prohibited from participating in future, i just have no clue on what grounds this could be achieved

Dosntthe little paper we sign when we do races/ join ppa say we cant take legal action any damages or losses that happen during races

I've been told by a lawyer that these indemnities we sign really mean nothing if you can prove gross negligence on another rider or the oganiser's side.

Same as the "At your own risk" signs you see anywhere really.

If someone does something really k@k stupid or reckless and causes you personal injury or loss' date=' you can sue them irrespective of these notices.

[/quote']

Quite correct except that the reasonable man test would still come into play and in this case it would be accepting the hazards inherent to a passtime of this nature. The gross negligence on the part of the organizing team would be more relevant if the race was to pass over say very dangerous terrain and no caveats were put in place to minimise this danger especially when they know that the bulk of participants are not professionals.

This sounds almost as ridiculous as someone having to provide me with "directions for use" with a cup of coffee!!! i.e. It's hot and hot could burn you!! Try and direct the contents into your stomach via your mouth and throat and preferably not over your head!!! Ala the McDonalds case. Instead of building an informed society most of liability litigation only succeeds in keeping stupid people stupid and ultimately rich!!

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />BicyclingoNNAME> Magazine is one of the titles published by Touchline Media and its single purpose is to ensure that the individuals? experience of riding a bike is enhanced through credible' date=' knowledgeable, informative and inspirational editorial. This single minded purpose has ensured that the title has struck and continues to strike a positive cord with the broader cycling public.

[/quote']

So that means u are a neutral party. so please inform us of this case in your magazine so we have the knowledge of who to avoid on a bicycle. come on investigate this.......your edition that carries this article will be sold out in minutes.

this guy is sad, so sad that i think he should be shot, that way the world wont have to suffer anymore.