worst broken part in a race

The Ouzo

20091105_092647_broken_handle_1.jpg

Tupperware on bikes is a scary thing when I see stuff like this! What make bar is that? Do you still have teeth?

They are BBB bars.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nought! Thats impressive. He never bailed?

I think I have lost count of the mishaps I've had. Snapped my frame during a sprint on the track.

Pulled out of a set of clipless pedals during a standing start on the track...landed on my gentles. (Not so much a breakage mishap as my own stupidity!)

Won a road race on a set of Gipiemme deep sections that were clincher, but I'd just 'placed' my tubbies on them and pumped them REALLY hard! How I didnt crash, only the good Lord knows!

Had a mate get his hand caught in the spokes between the forks after his hand slipped of the down tube shifters! Nasty crash, but helluva funny to watch!

But the dude who lost his one nut still wins! 

I was riding an offroad race and wasn't able to afford MTB shoes so was using my road cleats. About 2km, I was riding over a tricky bit and tried to unclip - no luck. Turns out the one bolt holding the cleat on the shoe had fallen out so when I twisted my ankle to unclip, the cleat just twisted.   Ended up having to take my foot out my shoe on every rough bit (and there were quite a few) and running along in my socks. Hee hee! Those shoes were never the same again.

HIJACK - reminds me - on that race, I was riding past a marshal in her car. As I got next to her, I saw a HUGE python crossing the road just there. The snake saw me and got a fright and headed for cover - the car. The marshal was sitting in the front passenger seat with the door open and as the snake headed towards her it reared up to try to get into the car! She closed the door JUST in time and the snake ducked under the car and into the bushes. Her screams must have been heard along the whole route! Man that was funny!     smiley36.gif smiley36.gif HIJACK OFF

Broken my headset cups half way through Eselfontein.

Actually broke my derailleur hanger on Sunday, had to pay R410 today for a new one. Suppliers won't have anymore for at least 3 weeks.

Putting a Saint derailleur on instead.

Broken my headset cups half way through Eselfontein.

Actually broke my derailleur hanger on Sunday' date=' had to pay R410 today for a new one. Suppliers won't have anymore for at least 3 weeks.

Putting a Saint derailleur on instead.

[/quote']

Now that WON'T break

Many years back...

I was lying in 1st position in the Knysna Cycle Tour (MTB).

Broke my chain at the top of the last downhill into town.

It had been a very muddy course which had obviously taken its tole on the bike. As I shifted into the big ring for the downhill, the chain just gave in.

I managed to freewheel down to the bottom of the hill without losing a place, but then.. those last few K's along the flat road into town I got passed by several riders while I limped along. I had to freewheel with one foot clipped in while using the other to push on the ground.

Very frustrating and probably my most disappointing racing experience ever.

I ended up in 8th place if my memory serves.

As a junior my Cinelli integralter bars broke like that 20kms from the wild coast sun race finish. I was in the middle of the bunch but kept the bike upright with the cable. As soon as it broke my feet were out of the pedals and caused a few sparks on the tar.

Also striped a pedal out of a crank at a race, broke a few chains and while training with Hanco the one day his ritcey crank arm broke in 2!

My worst was also in a MTB race, it was a 24hour and in the morning as I went over a little jump, the screws holding the stenctions sheared out and there whent my front wheel and pert of the shock. I fell face first into the ground and then hit my shoulder. My face was swollen for a week.

I zapped a beer from a spectaor, and dropped it at speed. It broke, and my spirit for the rest of the race as well.LOL

Ive had a crank come loose in the Barberton MTB race,

put 2 deraileurs into the rear wheel after slide falls at Glenburn Race and 50 Miler - glenburn meant the bike got shouldered and ran last km, and 50 miler abandoned completely as chain was too loose to do single speed.

I zapped a beer from a spectaor' date=' and dropped it at speed. It broke, and my spirit for the rest of the race as well.LOL[/quote']

Poor man, I was there!! He ran over to his broken beer and tried to lick it up. I felt so sorry for him, wanted to give him one of myne but i only had 5 left.

Nawt.

Wracking my brains for an incident in my 10 years of riding.............. Ermmummmmmm.................... Nope- nothing has broken with me. Sorry.Approve