Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

Anyone condoning vigilantism needs to think carefully about the reductio ad absurdum. Means we should all carry guns I suppose.

Naah, vigilantism is as stupid as riding in the middle of the road.

And the Cradle belongs to everyone, not some self-styled "I'm Special" wannabees with inflated opinions. Seems this applies to both residents and some cyclists.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vigalantism would never have reared its ugly head if these cyclists rode the way they were suppose too. So condoning it is not the point, Its happening and the cyclists are the ones screaming how dangerous it is and how it "ticks" them off, mind the pun :D

Hence me saying if you look for trouble you invariably end up finding it. They found it and now they need to start a process to rectify their actions which is going to be difficult becuase tempers are now flared. And i dont see anyone of the cyclists changing their behaviour to correct the situation.

My money is on this getting worse and worse till someone gets killed.

thanks the 2 guys with the blue subaru that had come back to clean up the tacks on the side of the road.

your welcome :) managed to pick up about 30 of the buggers... didnt see any on sunday when we went through there on the bikes, so hopefully we got the majority of them, and hopefully it doesnt happen again... even though im pretty sure that whoever did it, will do it again

The frightining thing of it, was that it was ONLY in the cycle lanes and all of them pointed up, nothing in the road at all, and hidden in the shady area's aswell, they planned it very well

post-12942-093866600 1286225956.jpg

post-12942-045784700 1286225947.jpg

Speaking of the cradle route, I would say that 90% of vehicles break the speed limit by a huge amount.

I think some well placed speed traps would do wonders.

I wonder if those "pins" would cause a problem for a motor-bike?.

Vigalantism would never have reared its ugly head if these cyclists rode the way they were suppose too. So condoning it is not the point, Its happening and the cyclists are the ones screaming how dangerous it is and how it "ticks" them off, mind the pun :D

Hence me saying if you look for trouble you invariably end up finding it. They found it and now they need to start a process to rectify their actions which is going to be difficult becuase tempers are now flared. And i dont see anyone of the cyclists changing their behaviour to correct the situation.

My money is on this getting worse and worse till someone gets killed.

I doubt that whoever is placing the tacks down can be called a vigilante, criminal springs to mind.

Speaking of the cradle route, I would say that 90% of vehicles break the speed limit by a huge amount.

I wonder if those "pins" would cause a problem for a motor-bike?.

yes they can, but it will not be as drastic as to a bicycle. However, I personally would pay a lawyer to pay a visit to any wanker that deliberately did something like this causing damage to my tyres worth over R1000 each

Will never help because none of those bikes has number plates. You need two people, one with the camera and one 1km down the line that gets radioed of which one to stop.

Will never help because none of those bikes has number plates. You need two people, one with the camera and one 1km down the line that gets radioed of which one to stop.

and if they have number plates, its covered. I've seen the latest they cover the plates with some sock that they just pull over it. When approaching a road block, they just take them off!

post-4760-042369900 1286260350.jpg

The tacs I picked up on saturday, times it by 5 as the 5man group I was in all picked up just as many (on the section from bergzicht down to the Circle)

Slippery slope when we entertain condoning thumtacks on the road as it means the means justify the end. not only around the cradle but other cyclist routes like Lido........

I got nailed on the Lido route a while back, couldnt pin it on anyone, but it was a miserable morning with 3 punctures. It didnt make me change tack, cuz i'm a nice rider already. So no point is made by leaving them on the road, except to show that the people dropping them are stoopid.

I got nailed on the Lido route a while back, couldnt pin it on anyone, but it was a miserable morning with 3 punctures. It didnt make me change tack, cuz i'm a nice rider already. So no point is made by leaving them on the road, except to show that the people dropping them are stoopid.

You hit it right on the head.

I'm sorry, but this is just Bullsh1t.

I ride through the Cradle most weekends and although is frustrates me that some cyclists behave badly, this type of reaction is not justified.

Fisrtly, we ride though the Cradle because it's very quiet, from a vehicular traffic perspective. Very few vehicles pass us on weekend mornings in the Cradle itself. I see many of the comments come from people in the Western Cape. This is not Chapman's Peak or Constantia Neck. How many people are actually being inconvenienced vs the number that are getting to enjoy this area.

Secondly, many of the Cradle residents have businesses that are supported by the cyclists and other related tourism. You can't tell the cyclists that they're not welcome and still expect them to come and spend their money there.

Thirdly, residents and bikers never seem to be obeying the speed limit. It's all vey well be hoot at cyclists as you fly past at 120km/h riding as close as possible to them.

I'm not justifying the way all people cycle in the Cradle, but the residents, how many of them are there actually, need to chill. I wouldn't do this, but it's not unlikely that someone reacts to the drawing pins and returns the favour. Then what?

Point being?

As far as the Lido goes i would not totaly exclude deliberate criminal intent, it would make you quite an easy target while changing a flat.

I So no point is made by leaving them on the road, except to show that the people dropping them are stoopid.

The point is probably just to be vindictive and cause minor damage and inconvenience, I doubt very much the intention was to hurt someone, although it seems to me there is a steady escalation of anti social behaviour in the area between the two parties.