Discs (rotors) made from?

AndreZA

What are they made off? Why are there so few companies that make them? Can you not take a design to a profile cutter to cut some custom ones?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend once made me a rotor for my TZR 125 motorbike...

So I'm sure they can be made...

Do you have some fancy design in mind?

they are steel. not sure if they are heat treated??

you could CAD them and have them laser cut. not sure how much it would cost?

If it can be done then I'm sure there is no limit on what you can design as long as it is not gonna be used for extreme riding.

How about some naked girls

http://www.dirtydogmtb.com/images%209-23/acemounted.JPG

or a dragon theme

http://www.dirtydogmtb.com/dragon/dragonrotor.jpg

as far as I know its made from a high grade stainless steel. If you take a rotor to any engineering company that does laser cutting, they should be able to help you with material used and everything.

It is stainless steel, the same grade as army piss troughs - 18/8. Cheap, common and easy to laser cut.  I'm also surprised that no-one has done this locally yet. Laset cutting itself is cheap.

I like the Aces and Chicks but I poep myself at the thought of what the dragon one can do to flesh, even if just in a wheel washing accident.

It is stainless steel' date=' the same grade as army piss troughs - 18/8. Cheap, common and easy to laser cut.? I'm also surprised that no-one has done this locally yet. Laset cutting itself is cheap.

?

I like the Aces and Chicks but I poep myself at the thought of what the dragon one can do to flesh, even if just in a wheel washing accident.

?

?
[/quote']

18/8 = 304, correct?

Yes. The cheapest. But I"m sure some manufacturers will claim this or that grade just to get a marketing edge. At the end of the day, you don't have to weld or work the material for a disc and just about any grade will do.

The ideal material for disk brakes is cast iron but a cast iron disk the thickness of a bike's disk will be as brittle as a Marie biscuit. And it will rust.

I'm keen to try - will see what the cost will be and post here. Got a mate who will knock together the CAD design.

Johann. What about some rotors that are not meant for sintered pads- are they made of a lower grade steel?

also do you have the exact specs of the IS 6-hole setup?

I can measure a disk, but would prefer some link to the actual specs.brussel2009-11-10 10:30:15

while on this topic of discs and rotors.

why do you have different size rotors? If your brake pad is only of a certain size,  then why should a larger rotor have more stoping power.

while on this topic of discs and rotors.

why do you have different size rotors? If your brake pad is only of a certain size' date='  then why should a larger rotor have more stoping power.

[/quote']

We discussed that just yesterday. Search for "Stop a truck"  I think that was one phrase in the discussion. Also, search for 203 mm and only what was posted yesterday.

I'm keen to try - will see what the cost will be and post here. Got a mate who will knock together the CAD design.

Johann. What about some rotors that are not meant for sintered pads- are they made of a lower grade steel?

also do you have the exact specs of the IS 6-hole setup?

I can measure a disk' date=' but would prefer some link to the actual specs.[/quote']

I have no idea why some disks are not meant for sintered pads. If you have such a disk handy, please test it with a magnet and tell us what you find. It may lead to the answer. 

I also don't know what the specs are but just copy the 6-bolt layout of any disk. It is an ISO standard so it must be published somewhere but I won't even bother looking. Just copy.

Also, the holes are quite a bit bigger than the bolts. This is evident from the amount of play in discs before they're torqued.  The thickness can also be gauged from measuring a new disk or the inside of an old disk.

I had a set of Deore rotors (I think) which specifically said for resin pads only...sold them with other wheels so sorry :) cant check