Barloworld in TDF

Grietjie

Let's make it a challenge - We'll go to Tuscan BBQ (All-you-can-eat) and see who is the undisputed' date=' ultimate fatboyLOL[/quote']

Eating is not my strong point... Wink How about drink-all-you-can Clap

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cox is recovering from surgery or some such.

I imagine the team could only include Hunter and Augustyn.  Rest of the team should include Efimkin, Guidi, Cardenas, Pedro whatshisname and the rest pretty much whoever is fittest at the moment.

My guesss is that only Hunter will be there, which will make it nothing more than a Phonak / SouthAfrican linked team.

So, why all the hype regarding just another international team.

I guess coz the money comes from SA and if the local okes lift their game they have a chance of being offered a contract by a SA team that gets a TDF invite... it's still early days, gee kans Pops.

BUFF, barloworld is 'n internationale co. nou as ek dit ook nie mis het is hierdie team se licence in Italie uitgereik.

So, daai ander sa outjie wat vir fd de jeux (something in daai lyn ry) behoort mos dan ook sulke main opskrifte te haal

ek sien nog steeds nie waaroor die b'world bohaai gaan, of het ons maar net daai span toe ge-eienpopeye2007-05-31 04:54:53

Was the TDF intended to be shown live on supersport or will Barloworld now sponsor a live feed for the 3 weeks?

Popeye ,JL has got a very good chance to be there,he is there form rider at the moment and one of the main reasons they got this invite!!

If Ryan did not have this problem he would have been included as well ,they rate him very high as a tour rider and by far one of the best climbers in the team!!

Knappy/Phen that eating contest sounds great!!!

Cox is recovering from surgery or some such.

I imagine the team could only include Hunter and Augustyn.  Rest of the team should include Efimkin' date=' Guidi, Cardenas, Pedro whatshisname and the rest pretty much whoever is fittest at the moment.
[/quote']

Hmm, at the risk of sounding unpatriotic, Barloworld is really not a SA team in my view.

Its registered in Great Britain and the majority of its riders are foreigners.

True, Barloworld has done wonderfull things for SA cycling, and continue to do so, but they have slowly moved out of the SA sphere and gone global without most of us noticing.

They are an international team with SA roots, but in my opinion lack a strong SA identity.

Well, Barloworld is a SOUTH AFRICAN multi-national company, and over the past years we have seen riders like Cox, George, Kannemeyer and more recently Hunter WIN international tours (albeit Cat 2 level) for Barloworld.  This sets the setup apart from the situation where a McLeod or a Hunter is a possible starter for a pro tour team.  Presently there are only four Saffas in the roster of 16 (Hunter, Cox JL and Perry), but at least the team has raced in SA consistently over the past few years..so yeah, I feel there is  strong SA connection here, and this will still serve to be a vehicle for talented SA riders to get into top-class racing.  My 2 cents....