Barloworld in TDF

Grietjie

I see Astana has also been invited and hopefully we will see a good showing from Vinokourov this year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only 2 types of cyclists.

Those that ride Cannondales and those that aspire to riding a Cannondale.

Guest Big H

SL-C is that Fantomas in your Avatar??????? Jeepers that takes me back to my youth watching movies at the Pigalle in Sunnyside!!!!!!!!!

Well done to BW - everything of ther best in July.

On the theme of what bike is better than the next  - to paraphrase a famous TDF winner "?t's not about the bike - it's about what you take!"

But then, riding an American frame is the equivalent of riding Japanese equiment - to be avoided if you are serious about cycling.

There are only 2 types of cyclists.

Those that ride Cannondales and those that aspire to riding a Cannondale.

No those who ride cannondale and aspire to riding a bmc slco1!! hehehehe!!

No im only joking the cannodale is an awesome bike!!

Stuff the bikes they ride ... what a TDF feast we have in stall this year ... hopefully a cleaner tour, a SA sponsored team, hopefully at least 2 South African riders (most ever), a great contest like in the Giro ... and off course the stunning Alps ... I can't wait!!!

http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/presentation/us/images/phrase_date.gif
http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/presentation/us/images/tt_actualite.gif

http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/presentation/images/affiche_2007.jpg

Issy-les-Moulineaux, Wednesday, 30th, June

21 teams in the Tour de France 2007

The organisation of the Tour de France has decided to ad three wild cards to the 18 teams which had already been selected on December 12th, 2006.
Therefore, 21 teams of 9 riders (189 riders) will take part to the 7.9 kilometres prologue in the centre of London on July, 7th.

The pre-selected teams

Germany
Gerolsteiner
T-Mobile Team

Belgium
Predictor - Lotto
Quick Step - Innergetic

Denmark
Team CSC

Spain
Caisse d'?pargne
Euskaltel - Euskadi
Saunier Duval - Prodir

United States of America
Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team

France
AG2R Pr?voyance
Bouygues Telecom
Cofidis, le Cr?dit par t?l?phone
Cr?dit Agricole
Fran?aise des Jeux

Italy
Lampre - Fondital
Liguigas
Team Milram

Netherlands
Rabobank

The three wild cards

France
Agritubel

United Kingdom
Barloworld

Switzerland
Astana

This is awesome news!!!!!

Looking forward to watch the TdF.

why did astana get a wild card entry? shouldn't they be a pre selected team? because they are a pro tour team! Lancealot2007-05-30 15:04:37

The pre-selected teams were already announced in Dec 2006 and one can only suspect the doping issues that kept the team out of TDF 06 were still in the air, negatively influencing a pre-selection. With Vino & Kloden in the team they are difficult not to include as they will no doubt be looking for stage wins hence I believe them to be an obviously "late" entry.

As far as I know Astana doesn't hold a Pro Tour licence (due to legal issues, the licence was owned by Manolo Saiz and his management company, even though he has no team). There are only 19 Pro Tour teams this year, unlike the 20 in the past 2 years (Unibet took Phonak's spot and Liberty Seguros' licence wasn't awarded to another team).

Nope, wrong...

Astana was awarded a Protour License with Unibet in January 2007... but...

ASO say they recognize only the 18 teams that held Protour licenses as at end December 2006 as Legal Protour teams, thus 18 Protour teams with automatic entry into the tour, and Astana, although a Protour team, but not so recognized by ASO, receives a wildcard entry like a Pro Continental team.

.....Hopefully now they will be noticed and someone will come forward and sponsor them with decent Bikes!LOL

Er, Cannondale is part owner of TBL if I remember correctly.

Great for BW and SA. Now for a stage win for Robbie in the TDF as he would be included as a sprinter and not a support rider. And Best Young Rider for John Lee....

That would be great.

Oh and all Cannondale prices in SA went up 100% this morning.