My mtb dilemma!

T-girl

I have a 3 week old 2010 anthem x2, awesome ride. Stay away from hard tails, the anthem is as pure a racer as you will need and infinitely more comfortable.

Nothing wrong with a x3. If you have a smooth pedal stroke the float R is just as good and you don't need to lockout the shock (I never do). The fork is the same and the SLX components are very good. Rather spend the money on reliable tubeless wheels later.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I was informed when I bouht the Merida, if I knew better I would for sure go with the Silverback Surplus 2. And this is not because I ride a Silverback road bike.

Ok to throw a curveball I'm now also looking at the Trance x3...

And it turns out the Anthem x3 is not all slx; its slx and deore, and I'm not sure if deore is so great? 

The most important thing is the feel of the bike which will be the same x2 or x3. The deore crank and brakes are not bad at all. Just don't buy x3 and start upgrading to XT, it will cost allot more that way.

As for Anthem vs Trance most mountain bike racing terrain in SA will be classified as cross country which is great for the Anthem which works better the faster you go. Even if you do more trail riding you can always fit higher riser bars and a shorter stem to change the geometry while keeping the lower weight and at under 60kg durability is not an issue. Only if you are spending all your time in forest trails get the Trance. Better still try both and tell me I made the right choice :)

t-girl, i have a trance and i absolutely love it.

the geometry makes you sit more 'behind' the bike than the anthem - this makes drops and downhills much easier without you having to drop your bum behind the saddle (although i still do, because i rode a hardtail for years)

people will say it's not made for longer stuff, but i've done ride2rhodes on it, which is kind of longish :)

where are you? if you're gauteng-area, we can maybe meet at groenkloof one day in december, and you can take the trance for a spin? also try to ride an anthem, and all other bikes that people recommend - and then see which one you likes best.

Thanks for the posts guys Smile

cat-i I live in Durban so unfortunatley won't be able to take your Trace for a spin, thank you for the offer tho!

I'm going to give both the anthem and the trace a test spin, hopefully the bike will indeed 'choose me'! Tongue

Any idea of the prices of the Meridas? Aren't their shocks not a standard brand so more hassle to replace/fix?

Most of the Meridas I have picked up feel very heavy! Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones...

Wish I was informed when I bouht the Merida' date=' if I knew better I would for sure go with the Silverback Surplus 2. And this is not because I ride a Silverback road bike.[/quote']

Why dont u like the Merida , every one else raves about them?

Anyone have any thoughts on Commencal or Cube bikes? They look sweet and components seem great. I suspect you pay more for the name tho...?

Anyone have any thoughts on Commencal or Cube bikes? They look sweet and components seem great. I suspect you pay more for the name tho...?

Hey T-girl. My best advice would be to go and ride the bike. Commencal offers demo bikes, which you can try out. Speak to Dave Wiseman Cycles in Durban, they are the Commencal dealer in durbs.

Ok between commencal meta 5.5.2 (2007 model, 17k) with fox front and rear fork, sram x9 rear, x7 shifters, weight 13.3kgs; or Giant Anthem x3 (also around 17k) which weight around 11.5kgs, slx rear derailer, deore front, fox front and rear fork?

Test rode the commencal on the road today, felt really nice, except maybe a bit heavy. i'm thinking the Giant even though the components aren't as good is weights quite a bit less!

Any thoughts?

ride the anthem as well.

decide then.

if alls still equal then, then the prettiest one, of course. or the one that you want - which sounds like the anthem :)

They are aimed at different styles of riding.

The commencal is a more All-mountain bike with more travel.

and the Anthem is more of a cross-country bike.

Personally I would take the Commencal but by the sound of things the Anthem would be sufficient for you.

I haven't heard complaints from people with either bike.

As cat-i says try out the Anthem and see how that feels.

here are to reviews of the bikes

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/meta-552-09-19714

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/anthem-x3-09-32593