has anyone ridden a 2010 96 3000d

Lukep

2010 Merida 96 3000d

I am leaning towards the Merida as a choice for a new bike!

Has anyone ridden one and how does it ride in comparison

1. Epic

2. Yeti ASR

Luke, the Merida is a XC bike with only 96mm rear travel. The other two mentioned are more trail orientated and aimed at a different market. You can still do XC races on them but they don't fall in the same category.

Luke' date=' the Merida is a XC bike with only 96mm rear travel. The other two mentioned are more trail orientated and aimed at a different market. You can still do XC races on them but they don't fall in the same category.[/quote']

Confused - Always thought that the Epic was an XC bike ........

jislaaaaaik, I want the time machine you guys use ......... I also want to be in 2010 .... no wait .. maybe not.. means the DD went past wiffout me.

I also thought that all the bikes listed are XC bikes.

I have ridden all of them expect the Merida hence my question.

I didnt like the Yeti too much it was okay but in my humble opinion it is way over rated! And it Creeks all the time it was like riding through an orchastra!

The Epic was great I have ridden both the 07 Sworks and an 09 Expert great ride quick and effcient but over priced for what you get other than a brain fade rear shock that  most people seem to think will be more of a pain in the butt in the long run.

Thats why I am more than likely going to go with the Merida it has a remote lock out for the rear shock (so almost like a brain except I will have to my brain to know when to lock out) and it has a carbon rear stay so it is the same as the yeti in that regard. Compnents you can change! so all thing equal it sounds like a winner.

Plus the Durin Race front fork looks wicked and the write ups on it say the same.

All three of those are definitely XC bikes. Must be said that the Epic and Yeti will cope with mild trail riding better than the 96 as it was designed to ride as close as possible in feel to their hardtails. That's how the team riders wanted it for when they jump between the bikes for some events or stages.

Epic is similiar in design, but has slightly slacker angles - the reason it copes better with trails.

All of the bikes mentioned are mighty fine bikes and I'm sure any of them will give you great joy. Will be best if you can ride them before you swipe.

Just don't buy an Epic with Spez own brand fork or shock. They are rubbish.

Where do you ride and what type of riding do you do? What is your budget?

Go for the Merida, the ride is awsome and the bike looks stunning!!

I am getting mine next weekTongue Can't wait to tuck and roll that bike on the dirt roads!!!! 

Whoooohhoooooooo!!!!

I ride all over the show I am from Stellenbosch but live in JHB now I am lucky enough to visit Stellies failry often so I ride in Jonkershoek and I enjoy the signle track there .

Up here in JHB I have been looking for places to ride and have been doing the majority of my riding at teak and reitvlie . I am coming off a stumpjumper which I loved but I have decided to do more stage races like Jhb2C/ Epic etc. Hence looking to change bikes.

Budget is R20 000

Hi Lukep,

I am also doing the 2010 Epic and did a lot of research on which bike to buy, the Merida 96 3000D stood out for me and i got it at a really good price(Because of the good exchange rate at the moment). For me it was between the Merida and the Giant Anthem X2.

Hi Lukep

Took the Merida for a test drive 2 weeks ago!

We had lots of fun and the bike handles like a dream.

Are also looking at upgrading to it, between the Giant and other Merida that I have I prefer the Merida.

Pricing is definitely a lot better

Good luck on the shopping

Bought the Merida and I got a sweet deal I got upgraded

Rims

RD

Crank

Brakes

Bike is light lightning non pedal bob or loss of power from the pedal stroke and handles like a dream

I highly recomend this bike to people in the market for an XC racer.

Hi Owned a 2009 SPEZ EPIC expert with full xt up 2 two months ago and the bike really performs well in xc conditions. Then borrowed a freinds bike Merida 96 2009 with xtr and the bike was the shizzzzz nizz. A real rocket ship of an xc bike. And now three weeks ago I built up my own SCOTT SPARK rc with full xtr and YUMEYA shrown in with DT swiss carbon forks and the works and this baby Is the SHiZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ NIZZZZZZZZZ. The geometry is perfect. BUT I DIGRESS, the Merida by far represents the best value for money proposition. UNfotunately the Spez is overpriced and the Yeti OVER HYPED. MERIDA all the way like toyota.    smiley1.gif smiley17.gif

Racer X

I got the following upgrades

Rims- DT 4.2D

RD XTR The resto of the bike is as per the spec the Magura Durin Race is an unbelivable fork, and the X fusion rear shock has zero bob it is perfectly tuned for the bikes geometry.

I am chuffed with this machine