greeting etiquette

geoffro

As a rookie cyclist(1 year into this great sport), I am trying to figure out the "greeting habits" of cyclists.Those of you who will get offended, realise I am stating my experiences and NOT at all generalising.I tend to greet almost every cyclist I ride past (quick wave or vocal hello depending how much I'm gasping for air!).I tend to get a blank stare from many roadies with fancy "logo kit".Maybe its the cheap no name brand kit I wear, but as I progress in the sport I will spend more money on kit.I dont mind sticking to my own thoughts while practicing and not greeting but it just seems like good manners.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know how you feel. I try to greet everyone. I even greet people on horses and sometimes they greet back (the horses, that is).

I greet everyone but I am a mountain biker. Most people don't greet back but I don't care. I generally just raise my fingers as a wave whilst still holding onto the handlebar if I am out of breath.

I throw things' date=' always get a reaction.[/quote']

littering? Shocked

must be a roady... Confused

I throw things' date=' always get a reaction.[/quote']

littering? Shocked

must be a roady... Confused

oi, probably there are other offences done too!

On one of my regular rides i often pass a guy that greets me if i'm on my road bike but ignores me on my MTB, I find runners to be the most friendly.

Agreed scotty, runners are very friendly and almost always greet and we are not even running!Same story with mtb as well, I ride my road bike seldomly(because I'm a mtb'er) but do get a little more nods when on the road bike.I think lifting a few fingers to a fellow rider costs nothing.Although this morning I was pleasantly surprised when 98% of the "vets and masters" greated me! AND I was on my mtb! thanks to the "toppies" for being friendly! 

in the most cynical of ways ... do you greet everyone you walk pass ?

do you wave hello to other people in cars ?

not all cyclists are friendly, some are downright rude!.

Runners are the most friendly.

I greet everyone on my bike (mtn or road) I even say yello to taxi divers LOL

some guys actively try to maintain a straight face as if you didnt exist. frankly, that type is the worst kind, cos they actually try, and wildly succeed, to not have basic manners. I've come across that type with both the MTB and roadie rank and file. Some even succeed to convey a sense of self superiority with that straight face attempt. It's bizarre, and to be very honest, I just laugh. Some ppl just cant get over themselves.

Young man, pay them no attention!

I haven't read the full thread.

Most of these guys are so "good" they can walk on water and thus it is below them to greet a peasant like you.

If you don't wear the right color socks, ride the right brand bike, wear undies under your Lycra, haven't got the latest helmet...., and oh, shave your legs, your'e not in the league.

Just go out there and enjoy your riding, it is such a privilege to do so!   smiley1.gif

I greet everyone but I am a mountain biker. Most people don't greet back but I don't care. I generally just raise my fingers as a wave whilst still holding onto the handlebar if I am out of breath.

I also raise my finger but get real rude replies !!!! Should I rather raise my thumb and not middle finger ?

I also raise my finger but get real rude replies !!!! Should I rather raise my thumb and not middle finger ?

The middle finger is fine. Just raise your index finger as well and the rude replies will cease. Peace!

How does one greet a cyclist that you are overtaking. I greeted a roadie going up Tiekiesdraai today. I passed him on the gravel and waved, he swore at me Big%20smile