Cyclist hit by plane?

idrive

No, before the start of the Joburg City triathlon a cyclist was hit by a car. And just after the start a plane crashed on the cycling route.

No' date=' before the start of the Joburg City triathlon a cyclist was hit by a car. And just after the start a plane crashed on the cycling route.[/quote']

Good lord. And I thought raod cycling was dangerous.

I'll stay away from triathlons, then...

The story we heard was that the cyclist was knocked over early and helicoptered to hospital. It was unconfirmed that the cyclist later died? Anyone know the facts?

As a result, the metro police doing road closure were called off the road closures to deal with the issue. The triathlon was delayed by about 40 minutes until the police came back.

While we were in the swim, the plane crashed, requiring the police to leave the road closure again. We went straight to the run with no cycle.

Stories are that the plane went across the cycle course, at road level. It would possibly have taken out a number of triathletes had we started on time.

A tragic and strange chain of events.

Well done to the guys who organised the triathlon for keeping it all going in challenging circumstances.

I know there are many reasons why this is not funny, but I just can't help myself.

I have never thought a plane would fall out of the sky, or overshoot a runway and crash into my car. The odds are just too small to imagine.

When I began cycling, I never thought this was even a possibility.

But the past few weeks, first in Durban, then PE, George and now Germiston, I am beginning to wonder.

Damn, imagine getting taken out by a plane while you are cycling?

Gives new definition to low flying.

Apparently the Piper Arrow aircraft lost power straight after take-off and landed back but did not sufficient space to stop and crashed through the boundary fence. Both pilot and co-pilot walked away from the crash unhurt. Well done to the pilot! Clap

I heard the cycle accident was fatal. Surprised I haven't seen anything in the press or here.

On the plane crash, we can be a little more frivolous as there were no injuries.

From a triathlete's perspective, it gives new meaning to being in the "aero" position.