Why do people hate cyclists?

gummibear

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A big guy drafting a little guy' date=' have they no shame....? Mmmph glad to see it doesn't only happen to me. [/quote']

LOL  Like I said, that didn't bother me so much, it was the hit and run, and then the implied threat later that bothered me...

35 000 members of that website  - and this is the kicker - in just two months. We've got be be doing a lot wrong to piss so many people off in such a short time.

sharks - like the real kind - are more than likely not to try to eat you than a stupid fu****ng motorist.truck driver/taxi driver is to try to ride you out of existance.  ****em all cause I see both sides of this tragic occurance.  Both from a riders perspective and from a rescue perspective. 

A big guy drafting a little guy' date=' have they no shame....? Mmmph glad to see it doesn't only happen to me. [/quote']

It's part of man's inhumanity to man that the big guy has to work four times as hard on a bike as the skinny bugger; and when it's his turn to draft, there's sod-all cover.

Not referring to anyone in particular.

Is there also a group on FB saying....

I hate people who do not buckle up?

or

I hate taxi drivers

or.....well you get the picture...

just a should be group saying " hey we all human beings here so lets not try to kill each other" or something like that.

just a should be group saying " hey we all human beings here so lets not try to kill each other" or something like that.

There already exist several such groups. Pick a religion...

There are some awesome bike photos in the group album, seems the cyclists are taking over (insert evil laugh here) smiley36.gif

Quote from the site, 'Encouraging hate and violence is wrong. How do you not get that. hate mongers always end up on the wrong side of history.'

As already mentioned some cyclists are their own worst enemies, and unfortunately all cyclists are then labeled. As a motorist I am dreading the build up to the Argus because of the sheer number of inexperienced cyclists who take their bicycles out of storage around this time of the year to suddenly start training for the Argus.

There seem to be a lot of similar threads and the consensus seems to be that cyclists as a block should do as much as possible to not irritate other road users and if possible stay off the roads altogether.  I think the issues is completely different. 

I have lived in Amsterdam for 6 months, so I have the benefit of having seen a place where bicycles completely dominate the landscape.  What is needed in South Africa is a mindshift from a culture of "yuppy" cycling to respect of a cyclist as a commuter and fellow road user.    We also lack a critical mass of cyclists on the road.  Then a cyclist may or not delay you when driving your car, but you wouldn't condem all cyclists everytime something happened - compare this to when a car cuts you off on the highway, you don't go on to condem everybody that owns a car (or go online and rant about it for that matter).   Personally I am a lot more irritated by poor driving, especially taxis, than of the occasional cyclist.

Ghandi once said that a society can be judged by the way it treats its weakest members.  By analogy, cyclists are clearly the weakest members of the road traffic, and as in so many other areas than concern morality and civilisation, we unfortunately come out severely wanting.
Feltrider2010-01-11 06:01:01

In The Netherlands, the motorist is assumed to be liable for any collision between itself and a cyclist.

In SA, you have to be killed for the authorities to take notice.

The mindshift indeeds starts with all road users but that touchy feely approach goes nowhere unless there laws and law enforcement

people hate cyclists because a lot of the time we behave like inconsiderate tjops on the road/trail... we are our own worst enemy

the general tone of the responses on this thread also highlights this... instead of trying to understand the reasoning of a 35000 strong group on FB, we immediately become defensive, citing jealousy as their motivator

Saw a guy 2 weeks ago get hit by a BMW. The cyclist had skipped a stop street.

What happened next - the BMW pulled over onto the side of the road with the driver clearly shaken up by the incident.

The cyclist got up dusted himself off and made a beeline. Not the decency to go over to the driver and apologize or check for damage to the car. Just got HIT and RAN.

People hate cyclists because we disobey the rules of the road, this is not rocket science.

we do? Please let me be like Paul with the christians then, I'd rather not be a cyclist then...

Ghandi once said that a society can be judged by the way it treats its weakest members.  By analogy' date=' cyclists are clearly the weakest members of the road traffic, and as in so many other areas than concern morality and civilisation, we unfortunately come out severely wanting.
[/quote']

Diep vir 'n Maandag.......