lawyers letter sentto cradle residents

chucky

Thanks for posting that IanJ. But probably the greatest number of "offenders" are not part of clubs or on the Hub. What plans are being made to educate those riders?

Get a cop, to pull them over , fine them, don't be concerned about someone lying about their identities. Cops know how to find out, and if the person lies, BIG TROUBLE.

Letters won't help anything, its just gonna irritate the public more. Show respect, and you'll get it back. Also had been on the receiving end for telling idiots to stop at redlights, ride single file on busy roads etc. I don't mind them getting hit by cars, its the innocent I'm worried about, like me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned in the letter above last Saturday saw the first of the CGC awareness campaigns where they were stopping cyclists and handing out brochures of the CGC code of conduct.

As far as law enforcement bodies getting involved.... watch this space.

Well done to all involved, good to hear its going to be rolled out further than just the cradle area.

One thing that is for sure is the amount of business cycling is creating in the area. Not just MTBing but road aswell. Alot of people park at venues along the route and start from there. That one little country in or something on the Avianto road is always packed and the cars even park outside. The one at the beginning of the Avianto/Kloofzicht road close to Muldersdrift is also doing alot of business.

Good work , to all involved thanks a stack. Would be an example to follow in other areas if this can be pulled of successfully.

As mentioned in the letter above last Saturday saw the first of the CGC awareness campaigns where they were stopping cyclists and handing out brochures of the CGC code of conduct.

Sounds good, but was it one of those once-off things in the area or are they planning on continuing it in the area? Is the message getting to the Argus-94.7 fun rider type riders as well as the more dedicated riders like the type found on the Hub?

Just seems that there is little point in "preaching to the converted" so to speak.

Sounds good' date=' but was it one of those once-off things in the area or are they planning on continuing it in the area? Is the message getting to the Argus-94.7 fun rider type riders as well as the more dedicated riders like the type found on the Hub?

Just seems that there is little point in "preaching to the converted" so to speak.
[/quote']

It is widely accepted that clubs are being very proactive in getting the message across, unfortunately members are not always listening to the message and sticking to the rules.

The CGC campaign is aimed at both clubs and individual or small group riders. The campaign will certainly be an ongoing effort and as mentioned will be taken to other areas as well.

Sounds good' date=' but was it one of those once-off things in the area or are they planning on continuing it in the area? Is the message getting to the Argus-94.7 fun rider type riders as well as the more dedicated riders like the type found on the Hub?

[/quote']

It is widely accepted that clubs are being very proactive in getting the message across, unfortunately members are not always listening to the message and sticking to the rules.

The CGC campaign is aimed at both clubs and individual or small group riders. The campaign will certainly be an ongoing effort and as mentioned will be taken to other areas as well.

Glad it is aimed at individual and small group riders as well. Of course there are club riders who don't listen nor abide by the rules but it is easier to get the message to them, unlike the indivudual small group riders. Glad to see an effort is being made to reach them as well.

Guest Big H

Well done Ian and others involved. I really hope that we are on the way to create a lasting solution that will have enduring ripple effects.

One thing I would still like to advocate for is that all cyclists sign a "Code of Conduct" and visibly display it on their bikes.

The other is a "number plate" or some sort of visible identification linked to the owner of the bicycle to streamline any law enfrocement that will and may take place.

I and not is RSA to help with this but please foster, streamline and inplement these ideas.

It is widely accepted that clubs are being very proactive in getting the message across' date=' unfortunately members are not always listening to the message and sticking to the rules.

[/quote']

I was riding in the Cradle on Saturday and the Clubs were riding fine.

What I noticed (and Stephan will attest to this) were single and groups of triathletes riding in the middle of the road or across the road with very little discipline.

I suppose to a motorist any cyclist - whether Club roadie or triathlete - looks like a cyclist and they don't see the difference.

Can I start a **** the triathletes thread?

I was riding in the Cradle on Saturday and the Clubs were riding fine.

What I noticed (and Stephan will attest to this) were single and groups of triathletes riding in the middle of the road or across the road with very little discipline.

I suppose to a motorist any cyclist - whether Club roadie or triathlete - looks like a cyclist and they don't see the difference.

Can I start a **** the triathletes thread?

100% agreed. ShaunH and I can also confirm this.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to add to the rather positive and proactive element of this debate and suggest that we look at the opportunity being presented by the Avianto race on the 16th May ( see my post under the Events Forum).

Granted it is an MTB event and may not be of benefit to the roadies but, it is clear that some of the businesses in the Cradle are trying to promote cycling in the area and we should do everything possible to support them. I would like to promote that we approach this race as an opportunity to develop this race (which is new on the calendar) as well as positive relationships with the landowners in the Cradle.

So please let's support the race and give feedback to Tim Garner the race organiser. (For the cynics let me declare upfront - I am not involved with Avianto or the race organisation, I do not live in the Cradle, but I have a good knowledge of the structure of the World Heritage Site because of my involvement in the development of the intrepretation centres at Maropeng & Sterkfontein Caves)

All done and said life would be so much easier if cyclists respect cars and cars respect cyclists. It amazing the difference in mentallity between us and first world europian countries.

I personally am forced to use the road during the week for a bit of training, but thanks to all the wonderfull trails (and the people who develop and maintain bike trails in and around SA) It is such a pleasure to ride these trails and not have to worry about getting crushed by a motorist that is'nt paying attention or feels its an impeachment of his constitutional right to not use breaks and drive in the yellow lines.

Exactly my thinking!

Does this mean you're going to do the race and contribute to the development of another trail?

Exactly my thinking!

Does this mean you're going to do the race and contribute to the development of another trail?

Firstly NIIICE ridgeback I have two myself :)

And yeah im going to enter races, but admittedly more for the fun aspect that to compete, which serious racers will probably give me flack for.

But hey I am doing this for fun and fitness.