Commuting to work

Canaris

Now that I am back at work, I have started with the short commute.  I decided that one gear is enough, so the single speed has become the weapon of choice.  However, as I work on top of that hill in Pretoria, I use light gears to get to work and then coast home.  THis is great until I meet up with other cyclists on the way.  Then I get the wonderful training of a cadency of over 150 just to get some form of power to the wheels.  Oh well the solution is to use heavier gears and then really suffer in the mornings...........

Yeah, I also got some great uphills on my daily commute every day. Would be not a problem but this morning I had a laptop + full 3L bladderin my Camelbak.

It was tough but this is Africa.

canaris you lucky easy home lol..

my commute takes me 30 mins to get to work which is funny enough only 5 mins longer than by car........ but going home i need a extra 15 mins.. more up than down going home with a reall mean one.. well mean for me in my unfit stage

my commute takes me 30 mins to get to work which is funny enough only 5 mins longer than by car........ but going home i need a extra 15 mins.. more up than down going home with a reall mean one.. well mean for me in my unfit stage

...haha! I'm in the same situation. 45min there... 60-75min home (depending on how much energy work took outta me). Darn those hills as I cut through Randburg! haha!

I cycle 45mins to work (mostly uphill) and then 35-40 home. Maybe I'm just more keen to get home smiley5.gif

How far are your commutes to the office?

Mine is 20km each way and I do it on my MTB faster than I would if I sat in the traffic Big%20smile.

Cannot really rate my cycle to work as exercise. To work 14 min, back, 14 min.  To do same commute with car... to works 35 min and back (if leaving after 5pm) 30 min, 45 if between 4 and 5pm. 

Cannot really rate my cycle to work as exercise. To work 14 min' date=' back, 14 min.  To do same commute with car... to works 35 min and back (if leaving after 5pm) 30 min, 45 if between 4 and 5pm. 

[/quote']

LOL JHB traffic...........I suppose at least mine is a 40km training ride

13.5 kays each way, but sometimes longer depending on the swampy-ness of the spruit and the darkness of the hail clouds.

it's only 10 by car, but that's on tar and the swamps are far nicer and traffic-free :)

cat-i2010-01-21 14:06:45

10 k's in and 10 ks back.  But have alternative 25 and 48 k routes to work if I can get my lazy bum on the bike earlier in the morning.  Working on that though.

...haha! I'm in the same situation. 45min there... 60-75min home (depending on how much energy work took outta me). Darn those hills as I cut through Randburg! haha!

It takes me 30 minutes by bike to get to work uphill (7km) but about 10 minutes by car/motorbike (5km).

Going home takes 15 minutes when I'm in a rush (5km) but by car it can take 15-20 minutes downhill. And this is through side streets.

Now I don't have a car and the reason for getting the bike was because my wife was getting peeed that her normal 2minute drive to work (800m from home) was now taking 25-30 minutes in the morning.

Solution to problem, got the bike. Wink