Morewood Kwela build

Aurora

Hi Guys

Im thinking about getting a Kwela frame (white). Now what build kit would you use on it? Not going XX, not worth the money

Will use X0 rear derailer and shifters but after that I am not sure what to use with cranks and brakes etc.

Wanting to know what build you guys would do on this frame if you were me. Fork, wheels, bars, stem etc etc etc

What do you guys think?

> Full KCNC cockpit, use an Easton bar if you want a riser.

> No Tubes Podium MMX wheelset.

> Sram XX 990 Cassette or XTR.

> Dura Ace chain, 10 spd.

> XTR front derailleur.

> Sid WC fork or Fox RLC FIT.

> Saddle, well thats sorta your choice really as are tyres.

> ESI Chunky grips.

> Crankbros Eggbeater 4 Ti pedals.

> KCNC Headset and Seatpost Collar.

> Get in a KCNC BB from Clee Cycles in the UK then throw on a Middleburn RS8 crankset.

> Brakes, I'd go for the new Hope X2 Races.

Think thats about it. That'll give you a sub 9 Kg build depending on tyres. Not super light but light enough, use a 100 mm fork/ riser bar and it can double up as a light trial bike.

Alloy/ Ti bolts are a cheapish upgrade and'll shed a few grams if you're that way inclined.

Cheers
Racer X2010-02-02 02:11:33

Racer do you mean the new 9-speed sram cluster @ 179g ? Looks sweet for 9speed but bloody expensive !!!

And hows the AC hubs these days ? Better bearing life ?

What will you use the bike for ? XC, marathon, light trail or what ?

This looks sweet for Marathon but for XC I think you can go a bit lighter.

Ie. Formula R1 brakes with carbon levers, alu bolts and other rotors.

Magura Durin SL or DT swiss maybe ?

Ceramic bb/headset

kmc chain

2x9 setup perhaps ?

The frame is a Chinese frame and weighs over 1.5gr. So it is not a show stopper.

Stick with X0 and maybe gripshifts.

Red Noir cranks.

Fox RLC fork.

Stans wheels or the Hope Stan's wheels in the classifieds.

Thomson seatpost and stem.

KK headset and BB.

Ritchey WCS alu bars.

Yeah thats the new one one thats just come off the sram shelves. AC hubs are pretty good hey, there have been bearing issues, as you said, in the past but as far as I know they have addressed those problems.

Ie. Formula R1 brakes with carbon levers, alu bolts and other rotors. New Hope Race units have the same claimed weight.

Magura Durin SL or DT swiss maybe ? You can get a Lefty down to to under 1100 grams.

Ceramic bb/headset, cost per gram makes them fairly pointless given that a bog standard M 970 weighs 90 grams or less. There are units out there that are as little as 50 grams. How ever you gotta remember that BBs are high wear items. Going super light is cool but then you gotta replace them fairly regulary.

kmc chain - Yaban are lighter ;)

2x9 setup perhaps Middleburns RS8 duo is a double setup.

We can go down this path all day and end up with a Kwela in the lower end of the 5 KGs . How ever you have to remember that the Kwela was not designed to be a super light weight rig, the frame has a bare mass of 1400 grams, claimed. Top end plastic HTs are now comming out at +- 950 grams.

If I was hamster dog and wanted a no nonsense, cheap (relative), lightweight setup then I'd go for a full XTR groupset including wheels, Fox F100RLC FIT fork, KCNC Bar, stem, seatpost. Slap on a pair of Eggbeater SLs, a Gobi saddle and some Kenda Karmas and you have a solid 9.5 Kg bike.

XO rear Der

XT front Der

X0 Gripshifts

XT brakes

XT cranks

FOX RLC

Mavix 819 rims with XT hubs or Factory XT wheels

Ritchey riser bar....no bar ends

Ritchey WCS stem

Ritchey WCS seatpost

Then you'll have a bomb proof bike that wont break the bank.

The frame is a Chinese frame and weighs over 1.5gr. So it is not a show stopper.

Why a Chinese frame?  Aren't all Morewoods built in Gauteng?

?

Why a Chinese frame?? Aren't all Morewoods built in Gauteng?

Morewood are not build in GP. They are build in Pietermaritzburg. BUT, the Kwela is build in the east and finished in SA.

Why a Chinese frame?  Aren't all Morewoods built in Gauteng?

Morewood are not build in GP. They are build in Pietermaritzburg. BUT' date=' the Kwela is build in the east and finished in SA.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up  Thanks M!

go shopping online at cwcycles......get a RS sid, grip shifts, thomson post, ritchey stem/bar etc.