Buying & selling protocol on The Hub

Robodog

I'll sell to the first oke that shows me the money.

It happens way to often that someone says "please hold it for me" then disappears like mist before the sun.

I agree that in a perfect world, if someone says they'll take it, they will. But this is far from a perfect world and blacklisting or marking someone for taking the first cash is bad form.

just my first cash offer of 2cMaxUmis2010-02-18 05:53:11

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think there should be some process like ebay where u get rated as a buyer and seller with a place to give an view feedback' date=' not sure how much effort it will take to set up but could be usefull and add the buyer rating to the hubber id. If you look at  the level of activity on the Classifieds then it  makes sense.   [/quote']This has been suggested before but nothing has ever come of it.

Think there should be some process like ebay where u get rated as a buyer and seller with a place to give an view feedback' date=' not sure how much effort it will take to set up but could be usefull and add the buyer rating to the hubber id. If you look at  the level of activity on the Classifieds then it  makes sense.   [/quote']

maybe that's part of the revamp admin has planned?

wonder when that revamp will be implemented & go live

Think there should be some process like ebay where u get rated as a buyer and seller with a place to give an view feedback' date=' not sure how much effort it will take to set up but could be usefull and add the buyer rating to the hubber id. If you look at  the level of activity on the Classifieds then it  makes sense.   [/quote']

From your lips to admin's ears?

I see normal business protocol doesn't apply on the hub. I'll only deal with guys with a reasonable number of posts from now on.

I'd say it's completely normal and acceptable business protocol to try to minimise risk by giving priority to suppliers or customers with whom you are familiar.

I'm extremely wary of dealing with people posting anonymously, with no history that I can use to judge them.

Edman2010-02-18 05:56:36

It happens way to often that someone says "please hold it for me" then disappears like mist before the sun.

I agree that in a perfect world' date=' if someone says they'll take it, they will. But this is far from a perfect world and blacklisting or marking someone for taking the first cash is bad form.

just my first cash offer of 2c[/quote']You tell the guy with the cash to wait a bit, you have to offer to the first interested party. Then you ask that party and give them a certain time to respond.

What I have done before on here is I PM the buyer. If I see he has read the PM but not responded in a reasonable amount of time, I move to the next guy.

slick2010-02-18 06:02:45

Think there should be some process like ebay where u get rated as a buyer and seller?with a place to give an view?feedback' date=' not sure how much effort it will take to set up but could be usefull and?add the buyer rating to the hubber id.?If you look at? the level of activity on the Classifieds then it? makes?sense.   [/quote']

?

It is indeed! We'll be moving to a more established forum platform which will allow us to implement a number of much needed features! Buyer and seller ratings being one of them.

More details to follow next week. smiley1.gif

I agree that in a perfect world' date=' if someone says they'll take it, they will. But this is far from a perfect world and blacklisting or marking someone for taking the first cash is bad form.

just my first cash offer of 2c[/quote']You tell the guy with the cash to wait a bit, you have to offer to the first interested party. Then you ask that party and give them a certain time to respond.What I have done before on here is I PM the buyer. If I see he has read the PM but not responded I move to the next guy.

That's fair, and in all likely hood what I'd do too.

I just think the problem is more with the potential buyers out there, than the sellers.

It's because of flaky buyers that guys adopt a first cash strategy...   

It is indeed! We'll be moving to a more established forum platform which will allow us to implement a number of much needed features! Buyer and seller ratings being one of them.

More details to follow next week. smiley1.gif

Clap thanks admin

This has always been a tough subject...

When I first started selling stuff on the hub I tried to give stuff to the "dibbers" but after being jerked around a number of times I moved to "first guy that puts cash in my hand gets the goods".

Sometimes the dibber delay was genuine (a kid needing to convince his parents) but sometimes the guy just wanted to "book" the goods while he made up his mind. Either way - the longer the dibber makes you wait the less likely you are to sell the item.

just my first cash offer of 2c[/quote']

Agree, there is an old Chinese proverb that says

"He who shows the money first, gets the goods", what's all this blacklist talk Slick, while we are at it lets ground (no tv for a week) the son of of the  guy who bought it.

I have personally found that the first pm that gets through is normally the one who gets the deal.

You tell the guy with the cash to wait a bit' date=' you have to offer to the first interested party. Then you ask that party and give them a certain time to respond.What I have done before on here is I PM the buyer. If I see he has read the PM but not responded in a reasonable amount of time, I move to the next guy.[/quote']

Nope...I've had it where I kept it for someone for a "reasonable" time, just for the person to pull out and for the other interested party to have purchased goods else where.

Sorry, first guy with mula gets it.

Something was bothering me about this thread and I just figured it out...

Sean - what the hell are you doing trying to buy Crank Bros pedals in the first place? All they're good at is trapping your foot in place when you crash and attaching themselves to your shoe instead of your bike so you end up walking around with an axle on your bike and a pedal on your foot. Very uncomfortable for portages...

LOLLOL

Ok now you can Ouch me.

I can get you some Shimano ones - the only difference bwteen them and the wifeeggbeaters is that the Shimanos work...

I advertised my MTB for sale. The first guy sent me a pm 16 minutes after my post and another guy posted about a half an hour later calling first dibs.Thereafter I had another guy interested.However, the 1st guy got the bike as he was first because imo responded first.

If I am very keen on an item I will always pm than post a reply.

just my 2cshaunh2010-02-18 07:43:48