Buying & selling protocol on The Hub

Robodog

I'm referring to this for sale thread.

This morning I spotted the sale before anyone else and knowing I was going into a business meeting made a quick post to firstly secure the sale for myself and secondly to let other buyers know that I had done so. This was 8 minutes after the thread was posted. Obviously I'd arrange details after my meeting finished some time later.

The OP responded to my query while I was away but a few minutes later decided to sell to another buyer. He duly goes on to state that he received the other buyers PM before my post although that buyer posted in the thread an hour after me.

Please tell me what the correct protocol is here?

Do we still have blacklisting of buyers and sellers?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's only an offer to sale. seller can choose who he wants to sell to. maybe the other buyer was a more convenient sale?

Slick, the same thing has happened to me.

Money talks & bullsh!t walks.

PM the seller first then post on the site and there's no guarantee that you'll get the goods.

Its all about credibility. Sure maybe the seller did get a pm from the other dude before he saw your reply, and maybe he didnt specify he would accept a pm or responding post. Perhaps he can send you a screenshot of his pm's received, else you know not to deal with this one again.

I'm with the seller here. A lot of guys display interest and then you don't here anything. You should sell to whoever suits you, unless of course you have indicated you would hold the goods until a specific time for someone. That obviously did not happen here.

I have sold a lot of stuff on the hub and some "buyers" really give you the run around. I am sure you wouldn't have Slick but just a different perspective.

Always mention in PM that 6 beers will also make part of the deal . That will secure the sale 99.9% of the time .

Its a difficult one, I would personally give the guy who 'dibs' / offers to buy first preference, but sometimes you also stand the risk of the guy pulling out, and you turned away guys with the cash ready...Guess it will come down to 'Cash is King' with the first one in, taking away the blingTongueWow thats some lame rhyming.

I've been burned my fingers with "DIBS". Rather commit 100% and say "I will definitely take these. Take it as a confirmed sale".

Even then its still up to the seller, but dibs is like calling shotgun. You only do it to annoy your kid sister.

I'm with the seller here. A lot of guys display interest and then you don't here anything. You should sell to whoever suits you' date=' unless of course you have indicated you would hold the goods until a specific time for someone. That obviously did not happen here. [/quote']

yup, had the same thing. there was a hubber on a tight budget, so i decided to offer something i wasn't using but wasn't planning on getting rid of for a pittance. waited and waited?heard nothing. now i'm donating it to that emperors dude.

I'm with the seller here. A lot of guys display interest and then you don't here anything. You should sell to whoever suits you' date=' unless of course you have indicated you would hold the goods until a specific time for someone. That obviously did not happen here.

I have sold a lot of stuff on the hub and some "buyers" really give you the run around. I am sure you wouldn't have Slick but just a different perspective.
[/quote']I disagree. If a buyer gives you the runaround but you have a number of guys wanting your product, then by all means drop the first idiot. However, give this first buyer a chance. I have sold and bought plenty on the hub. I've even been offered more by subsequent buyers but stuck with the guy who responded first at the indicated price.

When I'm selling stuff, I will usually sell to the first person to PM me a firm offer for my asking price. If it's someone out of town or with only one or two posts, I might wait a few hours to see if I get a more convenient or lower risk offer.

I see normal business protocol doesn't apply on the hub. I'll only deal with guys with a reasonable number of posts from now on.

Think there should be some process like ebay where u get rated as a buyer and seller with a place to give an view feedback, not sure how much effort it will take to set up but could be usefull and add the buyer rating to the hubber id. If you look at  the level of activity on the Classifieds then it  makes sense.   

Think there should be some process like ebay where u get rated as a buyer and seller with a place to give an view feedback' date=' not sure how much effort it will take to set up but could be usefull and add the buyer rating to the hubber id. If you look at  the level of activity on the Classifieds then it  makes sense.   [/quote']

maybe that's part of the revamp admin has planned?