MTN Mountain Bike Seeding

KevinT

Ok, so how does this work, and what does it mean?

Does the race index have anything to do with your seeding? Because all my race indxies (sp?) are less than my over all seeding. So its not a simple average...

A race like Sabie this coming weekend... Would anyone know how many batches, and what seeding would put you in what batch?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

Ok' date=' so how does this work, and what does it mean?

Does the race index have anything to do with your seeding? Because all my race indxies (sp?) are less than my over all seeding. So its not a simple average...

A race like Sabie this coming weekend... Would anyone know how many batches, and what seeding would put you in what batch?
[/quote']

Read this posted in Jan on the Barberton thread:

WvdW' date=' what races are taken into account? marathon length or shorer ones as well?
[/quote']

Everything we have data for, supplied by organisers, all we need are the results with ID number.

AS a Event; events are graded A-D as per SA-MTB according to Prize money, amount of participants, and importance of the race. A = 100% B = 90% C = 80% D = 70%

We only use the following distance as prescribed by SA-MTB:
1/2 Marahton     Marathon    Ultra
36-50km             51-80km         81+km

Ultra "A" = 100%
Ultra "B" = 90%
Ultra "C" = 80%
Ultra "D" = 70%

Marathon "A" = 90%
Marathon "B" = 80%
Marathon "C" = 70%
Marathon "D" = 60%

1/2 Marathon "A" = 80%
1/2 Marathon "B" = 70%
1/2 Marathon "C" = 60%
1/2 Marahton "D" = 50%

So in short your seeding gets faster adjusted the bigger the race and the longer the distance is that you do.
Other than that you get handicapped for the time and position that you finish behind the winner.

Hahahaa Dangle....

30km isnt fun...

I did the 60km this year and came 16th does that count for more???

Alot of people race the shorter distances so it is something to brag about...

Winning a kiddies race on the other hand....

I still want to enter the 94.7 kiddies race on my tricycle and win lol

I remember a certain person mentioning how he was up there in the front with Mannie for like....what? 5min while doing the 20km race at Emperors......while starting in the wrong bunch. Does that count for bragging? Because if it does you fit the profile of a "bragger" to a T.

Ahhh BoredGirl my favourite argument picker on the hub...

Yes I did say that, but it was more like 5km not 5mins and I only started in the wrong bunch as it was so badly run anyway...

Im allowed to brag and I have the accolades to....

I think im allowed to brag with my achievements more from the tricycle side then the MTB...

I mean after all im the only person who has ever attempted the Jock Hillclimb on a tricycle and completed it under an hour while still not coming last and doing a sprint finish...

I have quite a few top 10 finishes in shorter distance mtb races...

Ive won my start groups a few times in road races those being the Old A groups or a B group depending on if my charity riding had stuffed up my seeding or not.

So what can you brag about????LOLLOLLOLLOL

After all its fun isnt it?Wink

I cannot tell you how touched I am for getting that title!

You're allowed to brag as much as you like. But then don't be surprised when the responses are not flattering. People do not like braggers. Humble people are way more well received than braggers. Leave it to others to point out your achievements, then they might be recognised for what they are.

I do not have anything to brag about as I don't believe good results in short distance races are considered an achievement. Personal achievement maybe, where you've beaten your previous time, or gone as hard as you can for under 2 hrs, but besides that nothing much to talk about.

I guess its just your view. Its like athletics some view the 100m as the benchmark. I prefer the 200m.

So in the end its all about distance and your liking to one or the other.

Same as in track cycling... Its different disaplines not everyone has to go ultra distances....

Im out now will be back to reply after 2

hanlie booyens is a 32.5
yolanda speedy is a 19' date='75
nicky booyens (who won the swazi thingy a few weeks ago) is a 50
samantha oosthuizen is not there (or i can't spell her name)

[/quote']

Sam has 33 surname is with a Y

Guest Agteros
I don't believe good results in short distance races are considered an achievement.

Kurrekt
smiley4.gif

Amongst runners there is a saying that those who can't run fast, run far. And those who can't do that properly, run very, very far..

Same with cycling I'll say. Some people might find they cannot go for hours on end, but can pack a blistering 35km, and for others they cannot stand the heat in the kitchen with a short, sharp, fast race so they go long.

So are blessed in that they CAN go short, sharp & fast, and are looking for another challenge, which means going long.

At the end it has everything to do with genetics and training tactics, and neither makes you a lesser/better sportsperson, just a different type of ability!

I don't believe good results in short distance races are considered an achievement.

Kurrekt
smiley4.gif

Amongst runners there is a saying that those who can't run fast' date=' run far. And those who can't do that properly, run very, very far..

Same with cycling I'll say. Some people might find they cannot go for hours on end, but can pack a blistering 35km, and for others they cannot stand the heat in the kitchen with a short, sharp, fast race so they go long.

So are blessed in that they CAN go short, sharp & fast, and are looking for another challenge, which means going long.

At the end it has everything to do with genetics and training tactics, and neither makes you a lesser/better sportsperson, just a different type of ability!
[/quote']

Thankyou I AgreeBig%20smile

i'd be careful, rad ... your favourite nit-picker might just kick some serious dust in your eyes ... i remember a time when she was doing lots of ridescos she needed the prize money for a new bike - i believe she's got the bike - for a while now.

cat-i2010-02-24 13:20:12

i'd be careful' date=' rad ... your favourite nit-picker might just kick some serious dust in your eyes ... i remember a time when she was doing lots of ridescos she needed the prize money for a new bike - i believe she's got the bike - for a while now.
[/quote']

Cat-i I love youWink

Hahaha thats funny....

Congrats on your wins BoredGirl so is paying for your bike not an achievement? Flip I wonder if I started winning the short races I might have a job lol...

Hahahaha bring out the popcornLOLLOL

BoredGirl I hope you know Im just taking the mickey out of you?OuchNo hard feelings I hope?Embarrassed

My Seeding is 67' date='With the Sabie Classic i'm in batch D. This is the last bach to go. Thought I'd at least bee in C batch or so.Disapprove[/quote']

MJ loves MTB2010-02-24 23:16:58

Kurrekt smiley4.gif

Amongst runners there is a saying that those who can't run fast' date=' run far. And those who can't do that properly, run very, very far..

?

?

?

[/quote']

Agteros, the abitlities of different people have nothing to do with what I was saying. I prefer doing short distance races myself. Or say anything up to 55km on the MTB. I like that you can go hard the whole time. As you say it is a different ability. But I do not go boasting about how I did at them because no one cares. If you've noticed at Babbas only U16 riders (or something of sorts) gets prize money at the 35km. Young people are faster but cannot do the endurance, so there's the shorter races entrants. Also for beginners and so on.

So if you only have short races to your name don't go and wonder why your seeding isn't good. When last did you do a short race on the road so that you can get a good seeding at the Argus?

My seeding isn't amazing either but I surely am not wondering why. I know why. I take waaaaaaaaaaaay too long on long distances and they have 2 or 3 of those in my list. It is bad enough when my times are compared to the winning girls' times never mind the overall winning times as they are doing it. So instead of complaining about it I now have to decide whether I care about it enough to train harder, longer and then race longer distances and do better hence improving my seeding or leave it as it is and start towards the back.

Cat-I thanks! smiley1.gif Unfortunately the winnings never came close to what a new bike was going to cost but they did go a long way when I purchased my first pair of Assos at the 94.7 expo. And a few other bits...it's amazing how whatever the intentions are, whatever the winnings are you need discipline to channel that extra bit towards the intended end result. I am not very disciplined so I might have spend it on pancakes instead smiley4.gif

Guest Agteros
Kurrekt smiley4.gif

At the end it has everything to do with genetics and training tactics, and neither makes you a lesser/better sports person, just a different type of ability!
[/quote']

Agteros, the abitlities of different people have nothing to do with what I was saying. I prefer doing short distance races myself. Or say anything up to 55km on the MTB. I like that you can go hard the whole time. As you say it is a different ability. But I do not go boasting about how I did at them because no one cares. If you've noticed at Babbas only U16 riders (or something of sorts) gets prize money at the 35km. Young people are faster but cannot do the endurance, so there's the shorter races entrants. Also for beginners and so on.

You want to tell Ussain Bolt that his 100m world record is nothing? You want to say GreyOwl's prowess in the 1500m track events are nothing?

I reckon it is an even greater achievement for older people to go fast than to go long. Everything to do with protecting that fast twitch fibres which disappear with growing age....

The only reason older people do better at endurance type of events is because they loose their fast twitch muscles fibre (which will tire out earlier than slow twitch muscle fibres), and hence they can go longer (but not necessarily faster). This is the ONLY reason why the older sports people are more partial to endurance events, not because of greater strength, but solely because of disappearing speed.

But hey, each to his/her own according to abilities

Rearox, as I said earlier, you are correct and I see your point, my argument here is that the shorter events comprises mostly of weekend warriors, fun riders and youngsters, any competent rider "racing "there and bragging about it must have a screw loose.