Rude cyclists

zoonie

Lol I rode the Dischem ride for sight and what a sight. I havent been riding road for a while so I was seeded in G. Lol what a joke the guys from the start was bitching and moaning about keeping up the tempo and kakking on each other. After 40km they were finished anyway!! I was trying to tell some of the guys on how to ride the paceline and was told to ****off!!!

So I did!!! He He!!!! After 40km that is!!! Thanks for the guys that worked together im excluding you!!!

So its not much better down the seeding, just bigger wannabees!!!!!

Must say and this is my own opinion that mountainbikers are much friendlier than roadies!! But I will never give up my roadbike!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I rode the Dischem ride for sight and what a sight. I havent been riding road for a while so I was seeded in G. Lol what a joke the guys from the start was bitching and moaning about keeping up the tempo and kakking on each other. After 40km they were finished anyway!! I was trying to tell some of the guys on how to ride the paceline and was told to ****off!!!

So I did!!! He He!!!! After 40km that is!!! Thanks for the guys that worked together im excluding you!!!

So its not much better down the seeding' date=' just bigger wannabees!!!!!

Must say and this is my own opinion that mountainbikers are much friendlier than roadies!! But I will never give up my roadbike!!!
[/quote']

You wanna know one of the big reasons cyclists are so rude. It is because cycling being such an expensive sport is normally performed by either rich kids or rich people. Unfortunately the rich kids are "normally" spoilt and just act like this out of there upbringing and rich people are normally people who are at the upper levels of business or corporate structure and forget that the crap attitude they treat their employees with should not be taken out to the rest of society, it doesn't actually belong at work either cause a good leader leads. Notice who is doing the shouting in bunches like that, normally the guy on an expensive bike who is a bad manager at some company or had his bike bought by daddy.

Rode my first competitive road and mtb race last year. Do not want to generalize' date=' but the 'vibe' at the mtb event and road event differed a lot, with the mtb one being more relaxed & friendly than the road one. Sure, I encountered some rude riders in the mtb event but not nearly as many as in the road race. Mtb riders just seems more tolerant/friendly/helpful during a race...[/quote']

That cause MTB is more of a TT than a bunch thing. You probably only find people being rude when they want to get past. Else no real reason. In a bunch it is very different, plenty to get upset about.

It is actually Ironic as being friendly gets you much further than being aggresive. You give a gap or say sorry or be helpful and roadies/mtb guys will remember and return the favor. You be rude and tune and they will try their best to spit you out the back.

Competition, pressure to succeed, rivalry and ego-battles can lead to very unpleasant vibes! I experienced my 1st verbal 'interaction' during Sunday's race in Paarl.   smiley6.gif And, I was holding my racing line and letting others pass on the right. Yet, I was still shouted at.

Cycling is such a lekka sport. Beautiful rhythmic poetry on wheels. That altercation took a lot of enjoyment away.

smiley17.gif

Tough sh!t. If you aren't a good enough cyclist to find a way past' date=' sit behind. Hell Yea! If you aren't a good enough human being to avoid being an a$$hat, find some other sport. Amen

[/quote']

What you said +1 Bikemonster.

If these guys were really that good, Robbie & Daryl would have some Saffa company on the Pro Tour.

Gits.

Tempers will always flair in any sport especially at the top. And this is not new it has happened for years even between the top riders themselves even over seas it happens. And i agree that there should be a little more tolerance from the Pros, But having said that lets face it, whether you are an MTBr, roadie or even trackie the top guys put in a hell of a lot of time and as some one might have mentioned it is their job, and should some one suddenly move off their line abruptly for what ever reason it may not only be one rider that will fall but possibly the entire bunch. Time off the bike for them is lose of income besides the possiblity of broken bones (had a few in my day not pleasant) and then the time to get ones self back into form so that you can perform to the full potential that is required by your sponsor. Failure to do so could mean you lose your contract which as you can understand means lose of income. A couple of years ago in the 94 someone stopped suddenly in the middle of the highway and one of the pro ladies who was coming up from behind had no where to go, result was that the pro ended up been taken to hospital rather badly cut up. Lets try and be more tolerant and careful from both sides so that we can all enjoy this fantastic sport CYCLING.

A couple of years ago in the 94 someone stopped suddenly in the middle of the highway and one of the pro ladies who was coming up from behind had no where to go' date=' result was that the pro ended up been taken to hospital rather badly cut up.  [/quote']

Who was this and when?

There are no slower groups on the 94.7 for the top riders to run into.

A faster rider being abusive to a slower rider always shows them to be "no-class" imo.

Thank you first and all to everyone that made the Dischem ride an absolute pleasure to ride ..ok almost !!

Why do the pro's think they can be rude to us non pro's ?? I'm still new and maybe still getting into the swing off things but HELL I almost lost it !! would have loved to give one rider a piece of my mind and ask her HOW would she feel if I yelled at her to move up !!! I moved up all right off the road!! luckily for me I ride a mountain bike the guy infront of me not so lucky PUNCTURE!!!

Come on guys remember you also started at the bottom!! and yes you are PRO's but please remember our little guys also!!

If you are not pulling your weight and riding like you need to then you should not be at the front of that bunch else you ARE interfering with their work. If they don't perform they loose their job end of season and unlike you, many of them don't have a comfy job to go back to on Monday and rest the tired legs from the weekends joy ride out.

It is not about being rude, it is about having to put up with "plonkers" every weekend because the races are not seperated into correct categories or other riders jump on the back from shorter events or or bunches they have been dropped from.

At least this is how they view it. It is hard enough out there without all the extra stuff that goes on when they know that there are only a few of them out there that are going to the line for the money whilst the rest just sit wheel for as ong as they can and get in the way.

Unfortunately we have all been there and so there is no real solution so best we can all do is try and understand al points of view.

Still no reason to be rude. As long as the guy in front of you is not swerving drunkenly across the road (and by swerving I don't mean gently moving over by 30cm to avoid a pothole or whatever) he has the right to be where he is. If faster groups end up tangling with slower groups on a route, it is the fault of the organisers...take it up with them. Keeping left should be a standard in any race. Maybe organisers should create dedicated "lanes" for the faster riders?

Either way...as a non-competitive rider I will attempt to be considerate where at all possible, which means I will try stay out of your way. I will NEVER move if you are abusive...I may just "wander" even more into your path out of "shock".

Maybe we should ride with bells!!

Great suggestion. I like it. I like it a lot!   smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

http://fengshuihouse.co.uk/images/bells-whisky.jpg

Still no reason to be rude. As long as the guy in front of you is not swerving drunkenly across the road (and by swerving I don't mean gently moving over by 30cm to avoid a pothole or whatever) he has the right to be where he is. If faster groups end up tangling with slower groups on a route' date=' it is the fault of the organisers...take it up with them. Keeping left should be a standard in any race. Maybe organisers should create dedicated "lanes" for the faster riders?

Either way...as a non-competitive rider I will attempt to be considerate where at all possible, which means I will try stay out of your way. I will NEVER move if you are abusive...I may just "wander" even more into your path out of "shock".
[/quote']

If I understand the original post complaint it was about "moving up" and not holding a line and ended with a few cyclists off the road. This was probably because someone jumped and the whole bunch started to chase, it seems the thread poster was blocking the upmoving channel and so preventing the pro and others from going with the move which may have resulted in them missing a break or getting dropped requiring a big effor to get back on. Reason poster left the road was because in an effort to get through the pro had to work her way through which probably scared the non-pro riders a bit making them nervously leave the road. So I can understand why she shouted, but am sure the fact the riders left the road was due to them not being used to someone riding so close to them through a small gap.

Maybe we should ride with bells!!

Great suggestion. I like it. I like it a lot!   smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

http://fengshuihouse.co.uk/images/bells-whisky.jpg

Brilliant!