Force vs Ultegra?

wonduhboy

thanks for all the great advice about carsAngry fortunately I am building up a bike...

Anyway' date=' I heard the double-tap system is intuitive, but does it work well.

Also, need to bear in mind what wheels I will put on - obviously if I go with Force, shimano wheels are out - what else would look good on this - easton ea90slx maybe?
[/quote'] SHIMANO AND SRAM GEARS ARE COMPATIBLE!!!!!  I told you to searchAngry

Now back to the cars...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also' date=' need to bear in mind what wheels I will put on - obviously if I go with Force, shimano wheels are out - what else would look good on this - easton ea90slx maybe?
[/quote']

As far as I know - which may not be very far at all - Shimano and SRAM cassettes are compatible, it's just Campag that's different.

When Force came out it was aimed to compete against DA. Rival was aimed to compete with Ultegra.

I'm a big fan of Shimano but the thing that I don't get is the way they design their cranks. You have to replace the rings with it's own otherwise it does not look good anymore.

That's why I settled for a Force GXP crank, Ultgra shifters and deraileurs and Tektro R750 carbon brake callipers.... mix match and see what works for you... so I wont tell you about the Campy titanium seatpost etc etc :-)

The problem I have with the vette and the Viper is that they are no real supercars' date=' more musclecars.? They look good in a straight line only!? The GT says 'style' to those who know and has performace to match.? A bit like SRAM.[/quote']

Corvettes have done very well in (?) GT4 at Le Mans for the last few years. The Americans have worked out how to deal with corners.

thanks for all the great advice about carsAngry fortunately I am building up a bike...

Anyway' date=' I heard the double-tap system is intuitive, but does it work well.

Also, need to bear in mind what wheels I will put on - obviously if I go with Force, shimano wheels are out - what else would look good on this - easton ea90slx maybe?
[/quote'] SHIMANO AND SRAM GEARS ARE COMPATIBLE!!!!!  I told you to searchAngry

Now back to the cars...

i know they're compatible, but they wont 'go' - would you put slicks on your full-susser... ???

I have Shimano on my old bike (no my training bike) and Force on my new bike, which means I can just swop out my PT-wheel when I switch over from one bike to the other as the clusters are compatible.  If I had bought Campy I would not have been able to just switch wheels between bikes.  That's why I opted for SRAM

BTW, is a Ferrari really the right image for Campy?  I mean it's not like Ferraris have no electronic bits in them and too many gears is it????

One of my friends ride with SRAM Red and he said that he would rater go back to SRAM Force.

I alsow like SRAM, I havent even ride with it yet

Also' date=' need to bear in mind what wheels I will put on - obviously if I go with Force, shimano wheels are out - what else would look good on this - easton ea90slx maybe?
[/quote']

As far as I know - which may not be very far at all - Shimano and SRAM cassettes are compatible, it's just Campag that's different.

I don't think it's a compatibility issue but more astetic (how do you spell that?) issue. I would also not put Shimano/Campy branded wheels on a Sram bike even if it was compatible.

BTW' date=' is a Ferrari really the right image for Campy?? I mean?it's not like?Ferraris?have no electronic bits in them and?too many gears is it????[/quote']

Would you want more Italian electronics?

If you're not riding single-speed, you're not allowed to make comments about "too many gears".

A mate of mine got the new Sram with Easton EA90 aero wheels on his Spaz SL3. Looks awesome and he really likes the way Sram works and feels.

(Needs a bit of adjustment though, as its really quite noisy!)

Sram All the way... the double tap is really easy.  also like the smaller levers and hoods.

the carbon looks much nicer than ultegra and is lighter.

Plus I think the shifting is much more positive with sram and requires way less adjustment.

Here is my question for the individualists - if everyone has the same thing, does that not mean that it is:

(i) Priced well

(ii) Efficient

(iii) Easy to maintain

(iv) Has readily available spares from a large number of shops?

Italian electronics? How many of you ride a Alfa?

Gasping, some times it's worth foregoing some of the possible advantages that you mention.

FWIW my Campagnolo setup was:

1. Very well priced (on special at the time)

2. Efficient - it works well.

3. Easy to maintain. Better - it has been fautless

4. Spares that I've needed (so far just chain, but cassette will soon be required) have been readily available.

I went in with my eyes open, knowing that spares would be spendy, but you can't run with the wolves and p!ss with the puppies. If cheap spares were that important to me I'd be riding Sora.

(At the risk of repeating myself, nothing wrong with Sora, it works, it's just not sexy.)

Just remember CRC has Ultegra gruppo's going for under R5k (not sure if they still do), that makes it about R5,700 landed which might just affect your decision... I wouldn't stress about warranties either, costs about R100 postage to return anything to them if necessary and they will deal with the warranty.

No sweat Bikemonster - it was just a question and a possible list of considerations.

So let me get this straight [stirs pot with large wooden spoon] people buy Campy to be different, but the first and any chance they get they try and convert others to their side.

So in another couple of years time [changes to a double grip on the wooden spoon and stirs harder] Campy will be pass? and Shimano will be fashionable?

Can't wait!

[does not stop stirring, but pauses to see the effect ...]