2:50 Argus

udxcob

I did a 2:50 Argus on this bike in 1991, i wish i kept the bike though.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/udx-bmx/scan0055.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unreal how much things have changed in a relative short time. Weird how I cant imagine seeing a rider riding sub-3 with something like this. 

FanieFiets2010-03-01 10:02:37

HUGE Respect I cant even get it on a Cannondale and Ive been trying for a few yrs now...sniff sniff

I last rode the argus 16 years ago and have been off a road bike ever since, i have been back on the road bike for 8 months now and have been doing quite a bit of riding, i am hoping for a 3:15 to 3:30 to start it off again.

I last rode the argus 16 years ago and have been off a road bike ever since' date=' i have been back on the road bike for 8 months now and have been doing quite a bit of riding, i am hoping for a 3:15 to 3:30 to start it off again.[/quote']

That's a long break.

You've obviously upgraded to a carbon job ?

Good Luck.

Ja its a long break, i have been riding and racing bmx. Yes a carbon Bianchi is the new bike.

1991 yes, those were the days, I did a 3:11 on an all steel ZINI with then state of the art 105 gruppo. I was a 40year old laatie still...  

In 1994 I did my first with the finish in Camps Bay. I uses a steel Sancini with 105 groupset. Did a 3:14 and I stopped at every watering point because I did not know how much tougher the race was going to be. I even carbo loaded with horrible Leppin carbo load for 3 days before.

Just goes to show, all these fancy innovations, carbon this, aerodynamic that, ceramic bearings etc, etc, etc have shown very little improvement in the overall times.

I would like to do an exercise where one can compare the performance of the top riders from then versus the top riders of now and see if all this new bike technology really does have performance benefits.

Then of course there is the new training techniques which may complicate matters.

When I was young & stupid (now just stupid) I did it on a steel Alan and did my personal best of 2h48 Now It takes me that long to go up Hospital hill!!

Just goes to show' date=' all these fancy innovations, carbon this, aerodynamic that, ceramic bearings etc, etc, etc have shown very little improvement in the overall times.

?

I would like to do an exercise where one can compare the performance of the top riders from then versus the top riders of now and see if all this new bike technology really does have performance benefits.

?

Then of course there is the new training techniques which may complicate matters.
[/quote']

You've forgotten one of the biggest variables of all, the dope! The doping heyday was back in the 90s when okes like Riis had red blood cell counts well above 50%.

I regularly ride both modern and retro bikes like the one in the pic. In my opinion there have been only two major improvements over the years: Sti/Ergo levers and weight. I left out aerodynamics because I think there were some pretty aero bikes and wheels around in those days.

The increase in speeds is just something the component manufacturers do when they can't think of anything else, when they need to keep up with the comptetion, or when they need an excuse to charge more for a chain/cassette that lasts for less time.

Now compare the development of mountainbikes over the same period. Remember the dreaded cantilever brakes, unreliable gears, non-tubeless tyres, terrible suspension?