DealExtreme

ridr

Be careful buying from DX... Your few orders might've worked this time.

DX's customer support is non existent.

DX sometimes takes WEEKS to refund you.

They show items in stock which never are in stock. If the item IS in stock' date=' it'll be ok... if it's NOT... you'll end up waiting months before it's shipped in some cases.

9 of my DX parcels never arrived... I wasted hours fighting with them and they never refunded me. I waited too long before claiming from PayPal... I now open a dispute very quickly and claim quickly...

Cool for you with the Magicshines... but read the threads below the DX item page... LOTS of problems with those lights... Many of them blew or broke after a few rides... not to mention those with charger and battery problems...

I've completed a few 100 DX orders in the past. Some took a few months for them to just source the items, while it showed in stock when I payed!!!

I've long since moved on...
[/quote']

Noted on the DX customer service and delays if product not actually in stock.  But why flame the product?  They are only distributers themselves and ive seen many good reviews on the product.  You seem rather biased here since you offering the same product.  I suppose the moment one starts ordering directly from overseas you run the risk of customer service / warranties ect, but at that price you can buy 2 for what 1 would cost in SA.

I don't have to flame the Magicshines... they flame themselves... *pooof* did another one just blew?

Just see the how many batteries, chargers and lights broke by reading the threads below the DX sales page.

I've indeed sold a few Magicshines to first timers who didn't want to pay, but I warned them pretty clearly.

If you're serious about it in the long run, get a real light and invest now.

Like GoLefty said: If you've never used a proper light, the MS will impress you. I've you've used the best, the MS is a piece of crap.

There's a reason some of us give 2 year and 5 year guaranties.

Hey BL I dig your technical input on the hub man, the stuff you often say about tires, your reviews of stuff etc, It rocks.

But you are being a little seriousif not OTT about the lights dude, I know It must hurt because its your area of expertise and It does seem like a lot of people are going for these M- Shine lights, but bro, Fact is, We dont all race night time Profesionally or ern the bucks to validate spending the cash on one of your lights.

I for one probbably do a nightride on my mountainbike once every 2 weeks during the winter and on my roadbike which I use every day, I use the light I made myself (parts from DX- Yes the order they messed upWink) as its more for others to see mee than me to actually see because here in the city there are streetlights. So For me to go buy a R3000 plus light system for the 20 times maximum uses per year is not worth it so I will eiter buy a R800 light that will serve 95% of my perpose or not get one at all. I will much rather put the bucks towards a new fork, which I use every time, and I can not do with out. So dont slate me for going the cheaper option, rather give advice as I might actually end up getting a "proper" light oneday when I take it more serious.

Peace.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Bos,

You're right. I take it a bit too seriously. I get excited because I'm seeing a lot of these Magicshines breaking, and people still buying them.

I've stripped them down and know what's inside. It's not good. So when yours break, you're stuck. That's my concern - where a good quality light will last you 5 years or more. Then the R4000 is actually not that much.

Peace back :)

I dont want to step on toes here BL, And I admire you for making these lights, shy to admit but Im a product designer my self, studeid 4 years Industrial design, and Ive been to china many times, Its really sad somethimes when I have no real other option than to buy the cheapo chinese ripoff myself.

However, If mine breaks I with the help of my mate who helped me build drivers and circuits for my other light should be able to sort it out. Maybe even drop the output a bit and make sure the light cools properly.. I know others might not be in the same boat as I . But for me, It will be a learning curve. In 4 years time, I might just get your latest light, that might be evenbetter. Or I might make my own, from what I learnt  in my Magicshine adventure..

I had a car flashing me last night because the MS was to bright for them Tongue

Was really dark yet and i used the strobe function (just because i wanted too).  The light is pretty ok for my needs, and if it breaks, then its tough luck.  I'll chalk it up to lessons learnt.  But right now im far from being a pro, just trying to get back into the game and loose some weight and MS is perfect for that on the roads at night time.

Admittedly i havent done any offroading with the light yet and that will propably be the true test.

FYI, the Magic Shines I ordered earlier this week have been shipped. So it looks like they will be here for the Southern Skies 24hour.

Now just need to order a couple of adventure racing lights from CRC and Kurts and my night riding equipment is sorted.

Now just need to order a couple of adventure racing lights from CRC and Kurts and my night riding equipment is sorted.

?????  What is an adventure racing light?????

?????? What is an adventure racing light?????

Have a look at the Hope Vision 1 on CRC

• 1 month later...

I collected my light yesterday.

Very happy at this stage, put it on the bike last night and will be trying it out tomorrow.

It's very bright on the highest level, so it could wake a few people up.

Absolutely no problems with Deal Extreme Thumbs%20Up

I even got them to remove the tracking number for me' date=' the thing is if there are no tracking number you dont pay any customs or vat. At some point i had orders lost, all with tracking numbers, so far not one lost that didnt have a tracking number.

[/quote']

Sampie I just placed some orders with DX and was wondering how you managed to get them to remove the tracking numbers?

I sent two orders to SA and one to my wife in the Channel islands...now to see which arrives first...

Thanks!

How secure is that O-ring mounting setup on those magicshine lights? Anyone had a problem with then moving around or falling off?

Bos, you can go fetch the package at Cape Mail depo, next to Grand West.  Once you have the DX tracking no, you can phone SAPO tracking who can give you the local tracking no on the phone (once it arrived).

Do you have a phone number?

I emailed DX with a request to send parcels untracked and had a reply overnight.

They queried whether I wanted to send regular (untracked) airmail, it is possible if requested.

After reading some forums on DX I realized that tracked airmail is probably safer, so asked to just revert to registered airmail..they already confirmed. Quick customer service.

I am not sure if it's worth getting parcels sent regular untracked airmail to hopefully avoid customs and VAT?

Went for a ride this morning, the light is GREAT.

Bright enough on the lowest setting.

@Jeff, the O rings are thick and the light sits nice and sturdy on the handlebars.

@goatman, I paid just over R100 for vat and clearance fees. I don't think its with the risk for R100.

Good Luck guys, I can definitely recommend Deal Extreme.

Went for a ride this morning' date=' the light is GREAT.

Bright enough on the lowest setting.

@Jeff, the O rings are thick and the light sits nice and sturdy on the handlebars.

@goatman, I paid just over R100 for vat and clearance fees. I don't think its with the risk for R100.

Good Luck guys, I can definitely recommend Deal Extreme.

[/quote']

I agree!

How long did you wait for your lights?

I see that DX has some spares for these lights now too, I ordered some extra lenses just in case...seeing as I "never" crash

@goatman, mine took one month from the date I paid to the date that I could have collected them.