And then came Cancellara

Joss

BB, yep, thats true - CanceLLARA isn't riding by the sounds of things, but CanceRELLA is.... oh well, it just makes it sound more like Cinderella... coming from the ashes.... blah blah! WinkClown

In the last km the breakaway guys seemed to slow right down and look at each other.  This made me shout at the telly "GET GOING THEY'RE BEHIND YOU!!! Much to the disgust of 14yr old son.

Anyway, does anyone know why they did this? Did they have no chance, is there an arrangement between teams?

It really looked like they could have made it.

I think it was a case of simply not seeing the bunch around the corner, so thinking their gap was bigger than it really was, so they started trying to out fox each other... They managed that pretty well

In the last km the breakaway guys seemed to slow right down and look at each other.  This made me shout at the telly "GET GOING THEY'RE BEHIND YOU!!! Much to the disgust of 14yr old son.

Anyway' date=' does anyone know why they did this? Did they have no chance, is there an arrangement between teams?

It really looked like they could have made it.

[/quote']

its old tricks by break away riders - playing cat and mouse games with each other coz after 230 odd kms in a 4 man break, which one of the 4 is going to take the stage victory?  Specially when its 4 different team riders.  You're not going to give a stage victory to your opponents now and that playing around normally results in a catch by the bunch chasing.

<snip>

its old tricks by break away riders - playing cat and mouse games with each other coz after 230 odd kms in a 4 man break' date=' which one of the 4 is going to take the stage victory?  Specially when its 4 different team riders.  You're not going to give a stage victory to your opponents now and that playing around normally results in a catch by the bunch chasing.

[/quote']

More proof that 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all considerered as good as nowhere, amongst the TDF riders.  Only winning the stage counts.