Danger - Chartwell North-Northern Farms

brettaust1

This is all helping with my decision to move capewards next year. I rode alone every day while in Plett and never once felt unsafe.

Its just up here that there is this k@k. Sure it happens elsewhere' date=' but now its become a weekly fixture.

[/quote']

I'm sure if you ride close to a squatter camp in the cape it will also happen to you.

o ya and you getting a full susser! there is only one place to buy bike in the Wcape and that is conerstone cycles in Paarl speak to Denis he will hook u up 

o ya and you getting a full susser! there is only one place to buy bike in the Wcape and that is conerstone cycles in Paarl speak to Denis he will hook u up?

Probably would have bought it before then :) Hopefully even by the time the weekend ends.

Know of any jobs for newly qualified CA's? Need to start looking now.???????

This is all helping with my decision to move capewards next year. I rode alone every day while in Plett and never once felt unsafe.

Its just up here that there is this k@k. Sure it happens elsewhere' date=' but now its become a weekly fixture.

[/quote']

I'm sure if you ride close to a squatter camp in the cape it will also happen to you.

You are correct.

That is the problem up here. So im gonna go somewhere where there are less camps like diepsloot, and hopefully ride in peace.

The solution is to not ride near them, but diepsloot is freakin massive, and no matter how much u try avoid it when riding that part of the world, its pretty much impossible.

Even though I love SA and sing its praises every opportunity I get, I am very glad I live in France now.  When these idiots are encroaching on such a fantastic lifestyle it's just not fair anymore.Angry

Cycled 125km on my own the other day, flipping brilliant.

o ya and you getting a full susser! there is only one place to buy bike in the Wcape and that is conerstone cycles in Paarl speak to Denis he will hook u up 

Probably would have bought it before then :) Hopefully even by the time the weekend ends.

Know of any jobs for newly qualified CA's? Need to start looking now.???????

We have loads of Ca's working for us there always seems to be a need for more

checkout our website there is an HR link there it is www.paarlmedia.co.za

good luck

And again.

Last week I sent out an e mail about bike jackings in Chartwell.

Today I sadly have to advise you of a hijacking that took place at the farm this morning.

Outside of the fact that it is sad to hear of fellow cyclists having their bikes stolen at gun point, it is even more depressing to know that this was done in an area that was clearly designated as a no go area.

We put up signs in an attempt to manage the use of the farm effectively and safely, and if you choose to ignore these signs for whatever reason then it goes without saying that YOU must bear the consequences of your actions.

PLEASE avoid areas which are designated as NO BICYCLES EVER and similarly obey the directional signs in the interests of your own safety and that of fellow farm users.

The old technical route leading from the bottom tunnel back to the clubhouse was closed due to the risks associated with the fence between that area and the road having been stolen.

Unfortunately the risks we were trying to avoid have today realised due to people choosing to ignore the no entry signs.

We are now going to resort to placing someone at the entrance to that tunnel to endeavour to prevent a recurrence.

For those who choose to abuse this poor individual as they have abused the guard attempting to prevent people from leaving the farm from the top gate, ignore this at your own peril.

Please understand that NFRUG and the volunteer base that runs it will NOT continue to suffer your abuse and arrogant behahviour, frankly the farm should rather be closed to recreational use and you can find someone else to abuse.

For those of you who know of people who use the farm and do not subscribe to this newsletter, please ask them to subscribe so that they may be kept abreast of these issues.

Sadly

Simon

On a side note, I think it is naive to think the Cape is any safer. These crimes are unpredictable and not opportunistic. That part of the country is just as dangerous as any other.

I think it is only a matter of time until they spred to Teak for' date=' so they give northerns a rest so everyone thinks it is safe while they work the teak area and then the go back to northerns when no one expects it! I suggest people look at joining clubs, 4 to 6 people are no challenge you need big numbers to make it work! I used to ride alone alot but not anymore the only time I ride alone these days is on the trainer!?

[/quote']

That's unfair on Teak. Very different venues. Different ownership. Different setups. Scare-mongering is dangerous.

I ride in the Cape on my own all the time. Tokai forest, Jonkershoek, Silvermine etc. I see girls riding on there own all the time. I never have problems - its like chalk and cheese compared to JHB. The Cape is WAY WAY safer than JHB. Its time for someone to take out a few of these criminals, they know they can get away with it so they are never going to stop. I say two in the chest and one in the head and you will see the bike jacking stats drop.

Is it not possible to charge extra entrance fee and the proceeds going towards those armed guys that ride around on Motorbikes ?. I would gladly pay double the entrance fee to know that there were guys like that cruising around Northern Farms.

• 2 weeks later...

how hard can it be to set up a sting operation in liason with a local security company and the police?

the facts:

1. we know these guys are waiting at the "paintball ruins" at the grass farm

2. we know that they do it on saturday mornings

3. we know it is the same duo - one with a gun, and one with a knife

4. we know their escape route is across the river towards diepslut

so why can we not:

1. send in two undercover cops on bikes to get "hijacked"?

2. can we not have a few armed guys in camouflage lying in the grass around the paint ball area as back up?

3 have armed guys wait at and block their points of escape as a back up measure?

4. make an example of these F@#$%rs!?

everyone is quick to bitch, or choose to avoid the area like the plague, but why should we back off in fear and find new "safer" places to ride?

c'mon people, we are all grown men!

we have contacts, resources, organisational skills, and time. how hard can it be to set up a sting for these guys?????

we need 20-25 people to sacrifice maybe two consecutive saturdays and i guarantee you we'll catch them red handed.

how can two thugs terrorize us like this?

lets take a stand!

• 6 months later...

This is ridiculous! I can't believe how bad "bike" crime has gotten... also a reason why I want to move Cape side...

I'm keen for a big group ride otherwise perhaps another area besides Fourways/Broadacres side?

I often cycle in the South/Alberton side and this does not happen as often as it does here in Fourways it seems.

That's unfair on Teak. Very different venues. Different ownership. Different setups. Scare-mongering is dangerous.

Have to agree, a very stupid comment to make. Wether it does occur or not.

By the same token I feel I do have to disagree with Simon's statement on CT being as dangerous. A read through the ISS audit on crime trends is an eye opener, with approx 80% of crime occurring across 3 major metropolitan areas. Guess where the majority of that 80% is concentrated.

Still none of the above is a comfort to anyone who has gone through the trauma of crime and the NF guys put in an enormous effort for a largely thankless task.

The incidents of people abusing the staff are just not on and are damn disgusting.