Going 2x9

stewie911

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke my Crank Brothers crank so was forced to replace it, I always felt that my granny gear was a waste a as I only ever used it for those impossibly steep climbs you could basically walk faster on. Did Sani2C this year and basically lost my granny gear anyway the mud did not allow a shift to the granny gear.

So I replaced with XX 42/28 running a 34-12 on the back X0 med cage rd and x9 FD with my 9 speed chain. It was a straight bolt on for the XX + BB and a FD tweak and that was it.

Shifts beautifully now.

I haven't tried to climb anything serious yet but did the Blockhouse a few weeks ago and that tarred steep climb was fine, I do feel that I might go smaller than the 28 in front, maybe 24 if the 120bcd will allow.

Any thoughts on replacing the 28 with something smaller would be welcome?

I ran the KCNC 29/42 for the last 7 months and loved them! Just means less shifting up front. Cranks were actually stiffer than the set of FSA K-Force Carbons I took off, and lighter.

Just got my bike with XX on, so will see how that compares, but am going to miss my KCNC's.

Seems like a lot of cash for the weight reduction...not having a go at anyone but is it more of a status thing, to say you are riding 2X9!

Double cranksets are not to improve status/weight, it is to improve your chain line and maintain the same effective ratios you had on a 3x9 setup.

It is not expensive either. On my new 29er build I converted a standard XT crankset to double by using Blackspire Super Pro 38/26 chainrings and after selling the standard XT chain rings the crankset worked out cheaper than a standard XT crankset.

Double cranksets makes lots of sense to me.

I ran the KCNC 29/42 for the last 7 months and loved them! Just means less shifting up front. Cranks were actually stiffer than the set of FSA K-Force Carbons I took off, and lighter.

Just got my bike with XX on, so will see how that compares, but am going to miss my KCNC's.

you selling any of your old stuff?

Double cranksets are not to improve status/weight, it is to improve your chain line and maintain the same effective ratios you had on a 3x9 setup.

It is not expensive either. On my new 29er build I converted a standard XT crankset to double by using Blackspire Super Pro 38/26 chainrings and after selling the standard XT chain rings the crankset worked out cheaper than a standard XT crankset.

Double cranksets makes lots of sense to me.

Where did you get the Blackspire Super Pro 38/26 chainrings from?

Where did you get the Blackspire Super Pro 38/26 chainrings from?

are those the blackspire's CRC has?

I bought the Blackspire Super Pro chainrings from CRC. Those rings are very neat and apparently they last long as well. Time will tell. They shift very good.

My order from Starbike finally shipped today! (they only had 2 tires in stock and I orderd 4 :-(

But now I've bought DarrenG's KCNC XC1 cranks, so I won't need the new 104/64bcd chainrings I ordered - 2x 42 & 2x 28. (And I'm loving my hardtail so much now, that I'm not buying a 29er or full-susser yet, so I see no point in keeping them). I'll confirm prices when they arrive...

My order from Starbike finally shipped today! (they only had 2 tires in stock and I orderd 4 :-(

But now I've bought DarrenG's KCNC XC1 cranks, so I won't need the new 104/64bcd chainrings I ordered - 2x 42 & 2x 28. (And I'm loving my hardtail so much now, that I'm not buying a 29er or full-susser yet, so I see no point in keeping them). I'll confirm prices when they arrive...

If youre selling a 28t chainring.. I would definately dig one.

Busy waiting for my custom 38/24 chainring set for a Jones Mod XTR crankset.

Their in the post. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually find I shift more with 2 rings as I used to just ride all day in the 32t ring, now I shift between my 26t and my 36t rings - think its time I go back to a single ring upfront again - 1x9 or possible when the cheaper 10sp comes out I'll go to 1x10.......

I actually find I shift more with 2 rings as I used to just ride all day in the 32t ring, now I shift between my 26t and my 36t rings - think its time I go back to a single ring upfront again - 1x9 or possible when the cheaper 10sp comes out I'll go to 1x10.......

Keep the 36 and drop the 26. For a place like Tokai, 36 is all I need (11-32 on the back. I just kept the 24 as a backup.

Just put on a 38/24 setup with 11-34 on the back

You could also get a 9 speed 12-36. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31059

Then you don't need to get a new shifter setup.

not sure about the 36t with 29" wheels.......plus the 32t I have is a proper single ring which does help - 32 x 11-36 will be spot on (already have a MRP 1.X guide)

that Deore cassette is a boat anchor, will wait for the X9/7 level 10sp bits......

not sure about the 36t with 29" wheels.......plus the 32t I have is a proper single ring which does help - 32 x 11-36 will be spot on (already have a MRP 1.X guide)

that Deore cassette is a boat anchor, will wait for the X9/7 lever 10sp bits......

Aaah yes, makes a difference with 29" wheels, my bad. I wonder if they're going to bring out an SLX ot XT version of that cassette. It's also possible to buy just 36 or 38 tooth rear sprocket, you remove the smallest one so you still have 9 speed.

PM me if you want the details of the sprockets