Going 2x9

stewie911

I'm scared to ask' date=' but what's the price? Maybe I should have kept my Extralite E-bones W. Going to order the Specilites TA rings soon if no-one mentions any other options. Anyone else want anything from starbike?[/quote']

price is in the page of link   smiley36.gif

not so different from a Extralite crank ( one of the worse i have had ...and i live only 40 km far from Extralite headquarters ...)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like my aerozine 29-42, but at 708g for complete crankset they may be a bit heavy for you ridr.

They are cheap though. About R2300 from ebay.

@brussel: want some Specialites TA chainrings? Should be about R700.

@eliflap: Now I see it! They look beautiful! But I think I'll stick to Specialites TA chainrings for now. My weightweenie days are over (bank account not happy!)

@stewie911: Not too concerned about weight at the moment. What is the bb width on the aerozine? Do you have to use spacers? I think I'll probably just change the chainrings for now.

stewie911 I see CWC has the triple for R2100 on their online shop.

ridr...not too bad a price...hmmm

OK so here is a second question: what do you do for 29er bikes.

The 29 front-34 rear combo is OK for a 26er but a 29er has a larger ratio because of the larger wheels hence XX offering two different combos 28/42 and 26/39)

OK so here is a second question: what do you do for 29er bikes.

The 29 front-34 rear combo is OK for a 26er but a 29er has a larger ratio because of the larger wheels hence XX offering two different combos 28/42 and 26/39)

39/26 with an 11/36.

I am riding this combo and have no problem with it.

I had a KCNC 42/29 for a few rides and tried the 39/26.

I have shoved the KCNC in to a box (anyone keen on a slightly used crank, give me a call)

For the 2 X 9 riders there is a cassette available that goes from a 12-36.

As you can see I went with the XX

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/wrxipmreza/PICT0014.jpg

Have done the 2x9 conversion on my XTR M970 using the PMP rings and still going strong 40/28 and 11-32 for my 26".

Then just about a week ago did my Stylo carbon 40/28 for my 29er with 11-34 making use of the Starbike TA Specialtes rings , best shifting i have had - got 2 sets of 40, and 1x28 and 1x26 with courier cost R1300 odd bucks.

Instead of the spacers etc. easier to get the shorter bolts for the 104 ring from probolt.co.za bit high at R35 per bolt but works real good

Tarmac is running a 29er with 28-42 and 11-34 casette and he's not having any problems

He is stronger than us.

bos - the x9 cranks look great any idea of release date?

No Idea, Brussel, I think they are avalable on that site. I might put in an order from there. for the 2 blades. I will go 29-42 and a 11-34 casette.

I was thinking of 32 in the rear (I have 26'' wheels) but then my last race (dirtopia 75km)  had 4 hills which we all walked so If my current 22-32rear didnt work, I dont want to try it 32 rear and 29 in front. Although there is a question of what you can actually ride as far as technicality and gradient goes..

Would say for XC 40/26 is best and for more marathon stuff 42/28 should be fine - then you can change the back depending on the terrain - 11-32 or 11-34 or even 12-36 for the SLX shimano cassette me thinks

bos - the x9 cranks look great any idea of release date?

No Idea' date=' Brussel, I think they are avalable on that site. I might put in an order from there. for the 2 blades. I will go 29-42 and a 11-34 casette.

I was thinking of 32 in the rear (I have 26'' wheels) but then my last race (dirtopia 75km)  had 4 hills which we all walked so If my current 22-32rear didnt work, I dont want to try it 32 rear and 29 in front. Although there is a question of what you can actually ride as far as technicality and gradient goes..

[/quote']

Your sig is actually rather funny when reading your post LOL LOL