Going 2x9

stewie911

I was running 2x9 (36/26) with an 11-32 on my 29er.

I have since put on my modified XTR960 crank with a Blackspire 32 chainring, therefore running 1x9 still with the 11-32 cassette. So far so good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running 2x9 with 27/42 and 11-34 on my Niner - works for me.

It is a Middleburn Duo crankset with 180mm cranks.

bos - the x9 cranks look great any idea of release date?

No Idea' date=' Brussel, I think they are avalable on that site. I might put in an order from there. for the 2 blades. I will go 29-42 and a 11-34 casette.

I was thinking of 32 in the rear (I have 26'' wheels) but then my last race (dirtopia 75km)  had 4 hills which we all walked so If my current 22-32rear didnt work, I dont want to try it 32 rear and 29 in front. Although there is a question of what you can actually ride as far as technicality and gradient goes..

[/quote']

Your sig is actually rather funny when reading your post LOL LOL

Me?? not sure why? something I said in the post? anyway, the quote by itself is rather funny, especially comming from Conrad.

I am running 2x9 with 27/42 and 11-34 on my Niner - works for me.

It is a Middleburn Duo crankset with 180mm cranks.

You see, the 27 is the key here.

OK so here is a second question: what do you do for 29er bikes.

The 29 front-34 rear combo is OK for a 26er but a 29er has a larger ratio because of the larger wheels hence XX offering two different combos 28/42 and 26/39)

i have a 37-23 now on a Flash 29er and a 37-21 on a F29er

http://www.zorlonisnc.191.it/prodotti.htm

I just have to double check my FSA cranks bcd and make sure a 42 middle/ 28 small doesn't touch the chainstay, then ready to rock and roll!

Have done the 2x9 conversion on my XTR M970 using the PMP rings and still going strong 40/28 and 11-32 for my 26".

Then just about a week ago did my Stylo carbon 40/28 for my 29er with 11-34 making use of the Starbike TA Specialtes rings ' date=' best shifting i have had - got 2 sets of 40, and 1x28 and 1x26 with courier cost R1300 odd bucks.

Instead of the spacers etc. easier to get the shorter bolts for the 104 ring from probolt.co.za bit high at R35 per bolt but works real good[/quote']

You've got nice stuff! Good taste. Wink

Finally placed my starbike order. Ordered an extra set of Specialites TA Chinook 42/28 104/64 BCD if anyone interested. Should be here next week.

it means less shifting up front and less redundant gears. In a standard 3x9 setup about 25% of the gears are duplicated somewhere in the ratios

Seems like a lot of cash for the weight reduction...not having a go at anyone but is it more of a status thing, to say you are riding 2X9!

Seems like a lot of cash for the weight reduction...not having a go at anyone but is it more of a status thing' date=' to say you are riding 2X9! [/quote']

I think people will forver experiment and try new ideas but as to whether it actually makes you a better or faster rider - IMO, its not about the bike. I for one love my granny gear on those unrideble climbs we always get in races in the Cape...

Seems like a lot of cash for the weight reduction...not having a go at anyone but is it more of a status thing' date=' to say you are riding 2X9! [/quote']

It's not all a weight saving issue and not that all expensive. My 2x9 setup is about R1000 cheaper than xtr cranks and it's lighter

I don't need a granny. You can basically walk faster than that.

Check out this thread where I posted the graph. You'll see that you don't lose that much