CALLING THE EXPERTS

PIETERMAN

MERIDA 96 CARBON XX / SCOTT SPARK 10 / VOLCAN FS PRO

Which one?

I race XC, southern storm, the odd 24hour and plan the Freedom Challenge next year (2300km).

Any advice, suggestions, pointers wellcome.

Thanks

Of the 3, I would take the Spark.

Personally, I like the idea of 120mm travel over the other race snake 100mm options.

You are probably going to get a hndred other suggestions now...

just like this one. Why just those three? What about a Morewood Zulla or Santa Cruz Superlight?

Amen to the Superlight :) Climbs like a mountain goat and descends ever so smoothly. I could not be happier.

And you can get them to weigh a decent amount. I have mine at 11.3kg with a Recon Race RS and my new Hope Pro II's and 355's. Under 11kg is should not be a problem.

What is your height and weight. I ask this because I had an Anthem, off the shelf. I am 6'5" and let me tell you riding with my arse way higher than my hands just becomes a pain in the shoulders after 5 hours. And at 90 kg,s, 3" of travel on the rear wheel is not nearly good enough not to speak of the 100mm of fork travel.

My point is that what you ride is very specific to you. Do not buy a bicycle that Burry looks good on hoping you will look just as good.

Shop around, look at all your options carefully and try all the bikes before you buy. That's my advice.

just like this one. Why just those three? What about a Morewood Zulla or Santa Cruz Superlight?

Hi Mampara, stop pushing the Zula.

I would like to keep it boutique(?spelling?)Wink

?

?

Hi Mampara' date=' stop pushing the?Zula.

?

I would like to keep it boutique(?spelling?)Wink
[/quote']

Agreed :)

You spelt is perfectly

Thanks for the advice;

I'm off (from PE) to Gauteng next week and will "try" a Merida XX at Bester Cycles, according to Chris Willemse Cycles there is no more Scott RC in stock...

What LBS should I try in Pta for Scott, Volcan, Santa Crux?

Thanks

Pieterman, for something like the freedom challenge I'd go for an ali bike over carbon and one with as few shock pivot points as possible. That said, the Zula and Superlight would be great choices but probably more costly to get the same kind of build as the mass market guys like Scott and Merida can offer...