Noisy Avid Elixir Brakes

AlsDad

I also got tired of noisy Elixir brakes that also faded under heavy prolonged braking. I fitted SLX levers and calipers and XT Icetech rotors and the braking was transformed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna change mine to ice-tech's too soon following mayhem's advice. If my calipers explode then it's his fault... My xx front caliper sounds like the dot fluid is boiling under heavy breaking... weird sound, but it still STOPS.....

You should hear the Tektros on my XCAMHT. Ai yai yai!

I also got tired of noisy Elixir brakes that also faded under heavy prolonged braking. I fitted SLX levers and calipers and XT Icetech rotors and the braking was transformed.

Erm, you would have found the same (if not better) performance by just changing to Ice Tec rotors as Maxxis has done. No need to waste additional money by swapping out an entire brake system, just because the rotors and / or hoses are the root of the problem.

It's like trading your Audi TTRS in for a 135i because the air-con needs re-gassing.

Erm, you would have found the same (if not better) performance by just changing to Ice Tec rotors as Maxxis has done. No need to waste additional money by swapping out an entire brake system, just because the rotors and / or hoses are the root of the problem.

It's like trading your Audi TTRS in for a 135i because the air-con needs re-gassing.

True - I just much prefer the short 1 finger levers on the SLX as opposed to the clunky 4 finger levers on the Elixir 5's I had.

True - I just much prefer the short 1 finger levers on the SLX as opposed to the clunky 4 finger levers on the Elixir 5's I had.

True... But I have elixir 5's and all i did was move them in, and bring the reach closer in. Et voila - one finger braking!

Plus - aftermarket levers for them are AWESOME!!!

True... But I have elixir 5's and all i did was move them in, and bring the reach closer in. Et voila - one finger braking!

Oh I forgot the one thing I really hated about them was the fact that the front caliper wasn't square on its one mounting tab with the result that once you'd centered the caliper on the rotor and then tightened the caliper, it moved relative to the disc. Basically a poor quality casting.

Guys some really cheap 2010/11 cr/r elixirs online for between 37/57 pounds, worth getting or stick to 2012>?

Elixir 9 Carbon

Elixir R Carbon

CR Carbon

Edited by ............

THnx boss,tryna squeeze some upcoming orders to max,want the hopes but R1700 per atm breaking me. Might get just 1 cr rear in the meantime & can experience the elixir.Just changed my TranceX to sram & been loving less slap. :thumbup:

Now, the brakes brake... they really do... I'm still toying with the idea to stick some Ice-Tech rotors on, - any comments on that? reasons why not?

I'm really doubtful about the claimed differences those discs will make. Firstly, consider that discs dissipate heat by radiation and some conduction. Radiation happens into the airstream and conduction into the hub.

Now consider the difference in construction between a standard stainless steel disc and an ice tech one. The standard stainless steel one has a solid stainless disc an the ice tech one a stainless-alu-stainless sandwich. We know that aluminium is an excellent conductor of heat and stainless steel a poor conductor. However, the radiation surface on both is stainless, so where does the difference come in? Surely not on the tiny little exposed ridge of alu right around? Radiastion is just a function of surface area and alu and stainless radiate just about the same (but conducts differently).

I think the only difference between ICe Tech cooling and standard is ziltch and was post-rationalised when they made the sandwich disc due to its lighter weight. Weight is at the core of it all, not function.

I am running G3 rotors with my previous gen XT brakes. No problem. NEVER. It is the Elixer brakes (or the pads) that is rubbish. Not the rotors.

Hi Guys

The rear brake in particular on my Scott Spark is very noisy. The bike is new and lovely, but the brake noise is unpleasant.

Anybody know of a fix? Chamfering the leading edges of the pads? A different pad compound? Less "holey" disk?

Oiling the disk just a little bit? smiley2.gif

James

I have Organic compound pads on the back and metal pads on the front of my XX brakes.The rear brake is much quieter than the front when braking.

Try organic pads before you do anything else.

Just remember that you may have to re-align the calipers when you put new pads in. They new pads rub against the disks and there is very little space. You may want to sand the pads down a bit before putting them in.

I'd love it if noise was the only problem I have with them!! First the back went, after a month of having a new bike! Had them bled about 5 times! Eventually I found there was a fault in the mechanism of the lever?? Was sent to Cape Town to be repaired!

Now the front has gone too! Basically, I can pull the lever all the way to the bar and feel nothing! Considering sending the front in now or just spending some money on decent brakes! Rode Maguras for 3 years with not one issue!

Anyone else have similar issues? They're Elixir 3's!

I'd invest in a new 2012 SLX or XT if I was you.

I have 2012 XX World Cups and they suck compared to SLX/XT, so I can only imagine how bad the 3's must be!

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, don't think your Elixir3's will ever compare to your old Magura'a even.

Believe it or not, that's good news to me! Everyone I spoke to told me Avid's are the best and I just couldn't see it!!

Will be upgrading, soon!!! Thanks! ;)