Noisy Avid Elixir Brakes

AlsDad

Believe it or not, that's good news to me! Everyone I spoke to told me Avid's are the best and I just couldn't see it!!

Will be upgrading, soon!!! Thanks! ;)

I'm sure they had ulterior motives... let me try to explain it in a poem:

There are things that we don't want to accept, but have to accept

Things we don't want to know, but have to learn

brakes we can't live without, but have to let go

braking isn't about finding Avid's you can live with

It's about finding Brakes you can't live without

Shimano XT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a new bike one month ago with 2011 Avid Elixir 5 brakes and G3cs rotors. Almost immediately they developed a shudder front and rear under moderate to hard braking also making a grinding noise. Continued riding for 250 km and no change so took it back. The shop put on new pads and blamed it on improper bedding in. Bedded them in properly and 2 km later same problem (front and rear). Shop replaced rotors claiming they were warped and yes you’ve guessed right, after proper bedding in exactly the same happened. Brakes are now sent back to Avid.

I never worry that I will accidentally ride into a dassie at Rietvlei because of my Avid Elixirs ..... :(

Bought some XT's off Vinny (dabutcher) this week though, my woes will be over soon :)

I never worry that I will accidentally ride into a dassie at Rietvlei because of my Avid Elixirs ..... :(

Bought some XT's off Vinny (dabutcher) this week though, my woes will be over soon :)

hahaha, poor dassie's... such a hard life laying on rocks in the sun all day, every now and then having to duck for mtbiker....

biggest news in dassie land is always about the ones "who had enough" with the dassie life, and jumping into ben's line...

Edited by TheV

I have the Elixir CR on my bike. I actually though after you spend so much hard earned cash on a bike, you would have a proper brake system. The Elixir is crap breaks and seriously consider going XT....the only problem is to convinced my dragon (wife) that i need XT after I just bought the bike and spend quite a bit on it as well!

I have the Elixir CR on my bike. I actually though after you spend so much hard earned cash on a bike, you would have a proper brake system. The Elixir is crap breaks and seriously consider going XT....the only problem is to convinced my dragon (wife) that i need XT after I just bought the bike and spend quite a bit on it as well!

It could have been worse, you could have paid 3x as much for XX World Cups....and still had the same *** brakes....

hahaha, poor dassie's... such a hard life laying on rocks in the sun all day, every now and then having to duck for mtbiker....

biggest news in dassie land is always about the ones "who had enough" with the dassie life, and jumping into ben's line...

One of these days one of them's gonna get it :devil:

Only 1 person liked my XT poem?

you bunch of no class, no culture hubbers... hmfp!!! :thumbdown:

If you kill it you have to eat it?

Sorry dude but you're not exactly a 'bard' now are you .... I suppose reasonable if it were your first attempt at 'prose'?

Sorry dude but you're not exactly a 'bard' now are you .... I suppose reasonable if it were your first attempt at 'prose'?

Not that... :whistling:

This:

Shimano XT

Not that... :whistling:

This:

Shimano XT

I like that :thumbup: , hope though to get mine fixed so that I can live with them.

Only 1 person liked my XT poem?

you bunch of no class, no culture hubbers... hmfp!!! :thumbdown:

Made me feel violated as I have Elixir brakes :(

I had similar issues with my Elixir CR brakes (particularly the front). I tried everything: New pads (numerous times, various compounds), new rotors (Avid rotors everytime), different rotor sizes (from 160 to 180). In the end I gave up and got a pair of Formula R1's and fitted the Elixirs to my wife's hardtail as her old XT brakes were shot. They are silent and seem to be ultra grippy. The only thing that is different is that she has XT centrelock rotors on her bike. I think there is merit in the theory that the current Avid rotors contributes to the problem.