Magiclight vs Sigma Mirage Evo & Evo X Pro

splat

I know there are already a lot of 'what lights?' threads and there are several schools of thought and lights for every budget and application. I would like to do weekly night rides this winter (having not done it before), but am not into 24 hour races or Trans Baviaans etc.

After much consideration and going around in circles, I have narrowed my choices to the above two systems. They seem to be in a similar price range, but one is a single light and the other is a double light system. I dont know how to compare lux and lumens and watts. I would like a bit of backup and support if anything does go wrong and I would like to be able to buy spares and accessories if necessary (ie not keen on the Deal Extreme lights).

Thoughts and opinions please.
splat2010-05-03 00:56:56

Magiclight uses a single SSC P7 emitter and is one of the few LED lights that has a proper reflector which is partly why it works so well. Its a knock off of a Lupine Tesla and has about 700 lumens maybe less. Cant comment on the sigma but my magiclight is very good - bright enough for s/track at speed and very low weight. Batteries doe give problems but local guy Brad will sort you out if it fails.

As far as I know the sigma has been on the market quite a while, unless you get a really good deal its not worth it. Check the new Sigma's as well.

I know there are several users of the Magic lights and everyone seems happy. Does anyone use the Sigma's? What are they like?

Any reasons I should choose one over the other?

There were many Magiclights at the 24 hour. The Marshalls even complained that we were blinding them... I doubt that there were many brighter lights out there... pardon the pun BL....

Evo X + Evo X Pro system is crap. After 2 years I have to through mine away because 1. the battery only lasts 45 minutes when using the 10w head unit and will be R800 to replace and 2. the 10w head unit just popped and will be a few rand again to get fixed. The best performance I ever got out of the light was to take it off charge just before riding and then I got 1.5 hrs with the 10 head. In the beginning I only got about an hrs power using both head sets at the same time.

I use the sigma Karma, had the Evo X system before and was very disappointed. Totally crap burn time.

The Karma is bright enough for singletrack but I need one on my head too now I think.

I have not seen the Magicshine but in terms of Lumens it will make the Sigma's look like candlelight.

OK thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.

What's best for a single light: handle bar or helmet mount?

(I imagine one on each would be better, but I can only do one light at the moment)

I used a single Magicshine on my handlebars (forgot my 2nd one at home for my helmet) at the 24hr. Used it on medium setting and worked brilliantly. Best value for your money I think.

(I imagine one on each would be better' date=' but I can only do one light at the moment)
[/quote']

Personal preference, but I say bar mount if you only have one light.

how does the magiclight compare to my princetonTEC 3?

Haven't seen the magiclight's beam pattern, but for output your light will look like a candle next to a P7.

OK thanks' date=' that's pretty much what I thought.

?

?

(I imagine one on each would be better, but I can only do one light at the moment)
[/quote']

Bar-mounted is the best place to put it if you only have one light.

The closer your light is to the ground, the easier it is to distinguish obstacles in the trail ahead of you.

When the light is shining from more or less the same angle as your eyes in relation to the trail, the shadow which the light casts on the rocks, etc is hidden from your view.

It sounds strange but its actually the shadow which helps you see what you need to see on the trail at night.

A helmet light makes a great addition to your setup as it allows you to see around the corners in singletrack etc, and its handy when you stop and need to see your surroundings or make trailside repairs, etc