Feedback on buying Garmin 305 overseas

slowjoe

Remember some oaks were interested in the total extra cost for importing a Garmin Forerunner 305 vs buying it locally.

I bought the 305 off an ebay store, cost $212 (new) plus $30 shipping.

It was shipped on thursday, its at the post office for pickup (thats 4 business days)

Total extra cost paid at the Post office ........ R68

So, the total cost of my new toy is R1762

So to places like have2have that sells it for R4050, UP YOURS!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO Big%20smile

(can u tell im happy)

Well done SlowJoe...

It's brave souls like you who allow us to try our hand at the cheaper route...

So - what ebay store was that at?Wink

The diff isnt that much to actually make a profit too Tongue

Im also sure they duffed it at the post office, surely i shud have paid at least VAT. Anyways, Im not complaining, i beat the system (for once) LOL

You are very lucky!! When I brought 2 Sigma cycling computers in from Oz I paid more at the post office than that. The computers cost me R350 each (total of R700) and the post office smacked me with R100 to get them.

The diff isnt that much to actually make a profit too Tongue

Im also sure they duffed it at the post office' date=' surely i shud have paid at least VAT. Anyways, Im not complaining, i beat the system (for once) LOL
[/quote']

Yes, you should have paid VAT, but there is no import duty on navigation equipment at present. On most other cycling gear you will pay duty too.

Was the R2999 Sportsman's Warehouse special not on the Edge 305 HR (& CAD??) ?

now that is a good deal if you got it with the hr monitor and cadence unit as well. The cadence unit is R600.00 alone  dont know how much the hr moniter is. I bought mine for R2999. from sportsmans warehouse complete but comfort i have is that if there are problems with it i can just take it back. But hell man its really neat toy and fandacious gave me a cool tip . Sportstracks have some cool software that you can use really awesome enjoy your Garmin !!!!!

Hagar, note that you got the Edge 305 (the cycling specific model)

Don't know if you got the cadence unit included for R2999.

Slowjoe ordered the Forerunner 305 which is the runners model (wrist watch type). This model is cheaper and AFAIK it cannot take a cadence input.

I am also getting the Edge 305 (for the bigger screen). Will not be getting the cadence sensor for now - doubt if I will use it.

Listed on ebay for US $227.95 (immediate sale, no bidding)

Shipping to RSA is US $29.95

Total US $257.90 (approx ZAR1750 + VAT etc)

mounty it does have candence support, and you select whether ur running or cycling, so its more a duathlon type monitor than the edge which is spec to cycling.

In SA the price is the same for the 2 models. I preferred the forerunner because I can go jog with it , cycle with it and take it to gym for spinning classes. Didnt make sense to buy a brick that you have to carry in your pocket if ur not on the bike.

Slowjoe ordered the Forerunner 305 which is the runners model (wrist watch type). This model is cheaper and AFAIK it cannot take a cadence input.
The Forerunner305 takes the same cadence sensor as the Edge305 

Accessories for the Forerunner 305
http://www.garmin.co.za/images/accessories/thumbnails/010-10644-00.jpg
GSC 10 Speed/Cadence sensor

010-10644-00
A bit of topic, but I notice that this post is no. 100 for me!Thumbs%20Up steynja2007-07-25 15:40:04

Thanks guys, I stand corrected - the Forerunner 305 does take cadence input.

However the US $ price for the Forerunner 305 is cheaper than the Edge 305.

The Edge has a bigger screen - easier to read on the bike.

Forerunner can be worn as a wrist watch and is more suited to be used for different sports.

As a matter of interest, Mikes Bikes in Greenside has just been appointed a Garmin retailer and as a special, they have the Edge 305 for sale at R 2 299.

As a matter of interest' date=' Mikes Bikes in Greenside has just been appointed a Garmin retailer and as a special, they have the Edge 305 for sale at R 2 299.

[/quote']

that doesnt sound possible, Garmin SA's recommended retail is R3800.

Either ur referring to the Edge 205, or those things fell off a truck.

that doesnt sound possible' date=' Garmin SA's recommended retail is R3800.

Either ur referring to the Edge 205, or those things fell off a truck.

[/quote']

Normal retail is R 3 200.

Nope & Nope