29er suspension forks

Brian Fantana

What 29er shock do you ride and why?  

1. 1. What 29er shock do you ride and why?

• White Brothers Magic/Fluid
    • Rockshox Reba Team 9mm QR/Maxle Lite 20mm QR
    • Suntour Epicon 15mm QR
    • Fox F29 RLC 9mm QR/15mmQr
    • RST M29
    • Manitou Minute 29
    • Marzocchi 44 TST
    • Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti

These are just a few 29er suspension forks out there.

I am busy building a 29er and want a very nice shock for it.  I had the RST M29 for a year on my single speed but I didn't like it very much.

Please give comments on why you ride your current 29er shock, and also what you like and dislike.

Based on web reviews most people complain about stiffness on 29er forks but most people on those forums are geeks who sit behind pc's all day during winter.

Hoping to hear from you all.

Currently have a Maverick DUC32 (OK, not in 29er mode, but it is a very easy conversion which is endorsed by Maverick)

Stiff fork, nice and plush too.

What about a Lefty Carbon fork ?

I have a Reba Team on my Scandal but do swop it out now and again to a carbon rigid.

i have a RockShox Reba Race. Was the only thing available 2yrs ago when I build my Niner. Has been reliable but I've also made sure it's serviced regularly.  Upgraded to Enduro seals and proper set up has kept it smooth so I'm not complaining too much. Has been stiff enough, but planning to upgrade to a Fox F29 RLC 15QR soon. 

Ride the Reba Team - had no problems (did Epic and training), but have not ridden with others to compare. The hard thing is to get a comparison....hard just trying to get a test 29er, so you go with what you can get.

Like The Thug I have a Reba Team on my Scandal and a Carbon Rigid on the SS Scandal. I am very happy with the performance of the Reba Team.

My next bike / dream bike will be the Carbon One One with a Carbon lefty fork

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I seriously considered the lefty carbon fork because of their unrivalled combination of weight and stiffness, but they are = $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

At the moment I am deciding between the Reba and the manitou minute, as both have good performance and weight at a very good price.

Easy maintenance is also a big factor for me.
Stephan2010-05-19 10:07:47

To date I have been happy with my RST M29 and will keep using it till it falls apart and then get the Fox 29er.

If you want stiffness, reliability and light weight how about this puppy? (The fork not the bike!)

If anyone's interested in the fork let me know...sorry bout the hijack Stephan...!

20100521_085251_15042010565.jpg

20100521_085147_15042010564.jpg20100521_084351_On_One4.jpg
XTC12010-05-21 08:53:16

• 4 months later...

So what forks should I be looking at for a 29er conversion I want to do?

Explain what you mean by conversion.

Do you have a 26er frame and want to do a 69er conversion, or squeezing 29er wheels into the frame, new bike, etc.?

Explain what you mean by conversion.

Do you have a 26er frame and want to do a 69er conversion, or squeezing 29er wheels into the frame, new bike, etc.?

Its a 20" frame that has a fork for 26" wheels at the moment, so I wanna by a new fork that can take 29" wheels and convert it into a 29er with a new set of 29" wheels as well.

You can get the XX or Sid version Rock Shox for very good prices compaired to the Fox forks which just are ridiculously priced and are heavier

You can get the XX or Sid version Rock Shox for very good prices compaired to the Fox forks which just are ridiculously priced and are heavier

What are XX forks - Rock Shox? :unsure:

I have a DT Swiss shock ,carbon stanchions,XCM 100 FOR SALE(spare)and also a set of ZTR RIMS fitted with Industry 9 hubs(spare set of wheels)0824943904 Ben.Can have all for R8400.00(postage inclusive.Comes with a set of rotors and a set of JC Jones XR(I think)tyres.90%thread left.(These can be compared with new parts.No difference.

Its a 20" frame that has a fork for 26" wheels at the moment, so I wanna by a new fork that can take 29" wheels and convert it into a 29er with a new set of 29" wheels as well.

You can put a 29er fork and front wheel on a 26" frame but you can not put a 29" wheel on the back. Unless you put road tyres on.

I have a DT Swiss shock ,carbon stanchions,XCM 100 FOR SALE(spare)and also a set of ZTR RIMS fitted with Industry 9 hubs(spare set of wheels)0824943904 Ben.Can have all for R8400.00(postage inclusive.Comes with a set of rotors and a set of JC Jones XR(I think)tyres.90%thread left.(These can be compared with new parts.No difference.

How much for the wheels alone? Im just starting too look around and just priceing at the moment, which ZTR rims are they?:)