29er suspension forks

Brian Fantana

What 29er shock do you ride and why?  

1. 1. What 29er shock do you ride and why?

• White Brothers Magic/Fluid
    • Rockshox Reba Team 9mm QR/Maxle Lite 20mm QR
    • Suntour Epicon 15mm QR
    • Fox F29 RLC 9mm QR/15mmQr
    • RST M29
    • Manitou Minute 29
    • Marzocchi 44 TST
    • Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti

You can put a 29er fork and front wheel on a 26" frame but you can not put a 29" wheel on the back. Unless you put road tyres on.

.......and 69'er's ride like crap.

Guest coenie

Just a quick question, is there a difference in the axle to crown length between 26 & 29 er forks?

.......and 69'er's ride like crap.

Really???

Why would you say that?

My rigid 69er conversion rides better than it did with a 26" wheel up front.

@Crack: remember that 29er wheel will raise the front end of the bike, so get a fork with a shorter A-C to compensate for it.

This is the reason a lot of 69er conversions use a rigid fork. A 100mm (and some 80mm) suspension corrected forks will fit a 29er wheel in with plenty room to spare.

Stay away from Fox F29 RLC 15QR 2010 model, if you can get a 2009 one then yes. The 2010 model is really rubbish.

I need to buy another one to replace this one, you cannot ride mnore than 50km before its gets hard and become rigid, have tried serviceing etc, but no luck. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Crack,They are ZTR 29er 355 Rims.Not a mark on them and they are true.R4400.00 inclusive of postage.

So much of nice, If only its was Christmas bonus time this month. Those Industry Nine hubs are the bomb :)

Really???

Why would you say that?

My rigid 69er conversion rides better than it did with a 26" wheel up front.

They handle awkwardly, they climb like pigs, they are sluggish in tight single tracks, perhaps more work on getting the geometry more specific could fix some of the issues around 69'ers.

There is no room for them, they were a bad idea to start off with.

Of course it rides better with a 29 " wheel up front, the wheel soaks up some of the bumps on a rigid fork that the smaller wheel can't deal with and it will be more comfortable over corrugations because of the wheel size.

But ultimately it sits in the middle ground half the benefits one way and half the other way.

a 29'er is just that, a 29'er which means TWO big wheels, no middle ground.

Perhaps maybe there is a place for them, I will say it's probably cool to play with.

They handle awkwardly, they climb like pigs, they are sluggish in tight single tracks, perhaps more work on getting the geometry more specific could fix some of the issues around 69'ers.

Of course it rides better with a 29 " wheel up front, the wheel soaks up some of the bumps on a rigid fork that the smaller wheel can't deal with and it will be more comfortable over corrugations because of the wheel size.

But ultimately it sits in the middle ground half the benefits one way and half the other way.

Perhaps maybe there is a place for them, I will say it's probably cool to play with.

Personally I would prefer a more in between size, like a 27.5", best of both worlds wouldnt it be?But each to there own I suppose. Its for my old hardtail, so more for playing about on - Or is it a stupid idea? and rather stick to 26" - So much of confusion now :blink::unsure:

Personally I would prefer a more in between size, like a 27.5", best of both worlds wouldnt it be?But each to there own I suppose. Its for my old hardtail, so more for playing about on - Or is it a stupid idea? and rather stick to 26" - So much of confusion now :blink::unsure:

We assume that it might be ideal, till we ride it we will never know.

Hence the reason you compensate for the ride height by changing A-C of the fork.

Each to their own I guess though.

Been considering doing it to my GT Sanction, it's got the Maverick DUC32 which will take a 29er, no problem.

650B is what you want then.

There is a big movement for them in the US and UK.

It is a lot easier to do a conversion as same frames will fit the 650B wheel in the back, also many standard 26er suspension forks fit a 650B wheel (I believe all Fox forks will work)

650B is what you want then.

There is a big movement for them in the US and UK.

It is a lot easier to do a conversion as same frames will fit the 650B wheel in the back, also many standard 26er suspension forks fit a 650B wheel (I believe all Fox forks will work)

Whats 650B all about, do tell, or send me a link please :)