Chain reaction cycles shopping

Mtb2009

Is it cheaper buying from crc?

Is the total in the basket the real amount that i will pay?

This seems to come around a lot. You might try doin a search for CRC if you havent already and see what other threads say whilst waitin for replies on this one.

Yip, I have found them especially cheap when ordering components and wheel sets. Cycle clothing also well priced and you just get stuff you cant find here. They have also been very good if you encounter any problems with stuff and have to send back.

?

Yes, but when it arrives you will pay VAT and IMPORT DUTIES

ignore misleading over-generalisations as above. The person above is of course correct in that when working out the cost of the CRC item, you need to factor in VAT and import duties, IF ANY.

Note: Most bicycle components are DUTY FREE, so u see where the lame and misleading over generalisation comes from. Clothing, protective gear, electronics etc are nto duty free, and the relevant percentage duty rate can be obtained from either SARS, or a clearing agent, or someone clued up about customs duties (try hubber Ngala24).

Often, and more often than not, even with VAT, and sometimes even including Customs, the item is cheaper from CRC than the local BSers.

But do the math proper, and make sure you look at total cost before going with either option, ie CRC or LBS.

Also, keep in mind, that when purchasing from overseas, the warrantees are not honored locally, so the item will have to be sent back to CRC. The hassle there is time and the cost of sending it there. But dont let this minor hassle deter you from spending at CRC. Hassles exist everywhere smiley2.gif

Todate, I've spent a near indecent amount of money via CRC. I've had my issues with them, but it's minor in comparison to the savings I've made, and the fact that i've obtained things nearly impossible to find locally.

Fully agree with your comments and just to add to it...get the parcel sent to your P.O.Box and don't use UPS for the quicker delivery.

Their clearing fees are 4 times higher and the paperwork too.

Post office clears the parcel regardless of size for R25 and then charges VAT on behalf of SARS at the landed value across the counter when you collect.

Happy shopping!

Buy parts and you fine on the duties, don't buy clothes...thats where they nailed me with import duties!

From my understanding the duties on clothes is not very consistent. Sometimes they pick up and sometimes they don't. So far I have heard of far less times that some has landed up paying the duties.

Fully agree with your comments and just to add to it...get the parcel sent to your P.O.Box and don't use UPS for the quicker delivery.

Their clearing fees are 4 times higher and the paperwork too.

Post office clears the parcel regardless of size for R25 and then charges VAT on behalf of SARS at the landed value across the counter when you collect.

Happy shopping!

hmmmm this is the strangest thing ive heard. I get my goods delivered at the PO Box & not once have they charged me the R25.00 handling fee.

All they charge me for is the clearing fee

Im not going to complain though. If its the useless person behind the counters fault then they are to blame. I did everything legal eagle

Do a good check on the local market as you can get some very good prices at the moment from Chris Willemse and Solomans.