Cannondale Scalpel - Yes/No

Renrew

That Piesang shape does it for me.

i dont like Lefty shocks (not scientific reasons just that it looks weird)

but the more i look at it the better looking it gets.

It has kind of like a minimilistic thing going on.

For 11k i would buy it. or save 9k more and get a cube.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I built up a Scalpel Team on the Hub.

I've been riding it for the last 5 months after riding a Stevens F9 Team

for 2 years.

I could never go back!

It's a real dream machineThumbs%20Up

20100526_060605_DSC04555.JPG

That looks so stretched.... but that is an awesome bike......

I'm currently riding a 2010 model Scalpel and love it.  It is however very much geared towards racing rather than trail riding, so it depends on what you are after.

Also be aware that there were a lot of complaints with the older models with the chain stay detaching from the main frame.  When you but second hand you do not get the warranty, so understand that you are taking an elemnt of risk.

BTW the seat stay is a carbon composite.

http://www.cube-bike.co.za/images/stories/AMS/HPC/ams-hpc-team.jpg

Surely this doesnt sell for R20 000......

If so.... where can I get it.....

http://www.cube-bike.co.za/images/stories/AMS/HPC/ams-hpc-team.jpg

I'll take this over the plastic banana bike any day, cannondale or not.

The wheels on that alone will swallow half your 20K budget, and the groupset the other half. 

The wheels on that alone will swallow half your 20K budget' date=' and the groupset the other half.?

[/quote']

And I want a set of those wheels....

hello ....  yea I got a 2005 Scalpel 2000, also 2nd hand  that I paid R19k for in 2005. It had done Epic and was still in good nick.

I really enjoy it, that front suspension is just da bomb and I always keenly anticipate a bumpy downhill.  Rear doesnt have that much travel but does help a bit, and has remote lock out.

I have recently done almost a complete rebuild and update, and its in top shape now.  SRAM X0, Noir crankset, Hope X4 brakes etc

You can still get spares and service kits for it. I just redid all the bushings in the rear seat stays, which on the 2005 are composite (plastic). It needed the new bushings because it was seriasly creaking on the Lion Man, but all good now.

So you might want to factor in a major service,and upgrade components as you go along.  The latest lefty forks look a lot sexier, but its the same technology.

Let me know if I can be of any futher help.

kosmonooit2010-05-26 07:49:54

The wheels on that alone will swallow half your 20K budget' date=' and the groupset the other half. 
[/quote']

And I want a set of those wheels....

Slight hijack, where can I get some info on those wheels ?

Thanks,

WW.

I see the Scalpel as very much a race bike, not a play bike. So, it depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. If you are looking for  something to get up mountains and tackle the downhills and jumps and so on, I'd look at something more all purpose - like a Zula or one of the other 100 - 120mm travel bikes out there. My 1/2 c

Hi Guys, was out for a bit - The thing is this:

Sure I need to up my budget if I want to get something that is relatively new,say late 09/10, but that is not my plan. I can reliably buy a Scalpel 07 or maybe 08 within my budget (Maybe a bit more) and get a top performance bike for a third of the price of a "New" top of the line bike.

I am not going to be doing any "jumps" but will be doing single track/rougher of Cross Country routes here in Stellenbosch. So a racer is what I want.

One can easily get a 07/08 Scalpel, as bicycles depreciate exponentially, for between R1k5 and R21k. And the fact that most riders that buy Scalpels have money and like to upgrade every year, so this would in theory be possible - The only problem is that they are so hard to find second hand and in the right year. 2005 is a bit too old as I would like to go, but seems Scalpel owners hang on to their bikes like hell! There are 3 2005 Scalpels for sale but that's just too old for me as I would have to spend another R3k to get it a bit better where I would rather spend the money on a newer model.

Sounds a bit stupid, but I have my hopes set on a Scalpel.A very bad situation.

hello ....? yea I got a 2005 Scalpel 2000' date=' also 2nd hand? that?I paid R19k for in 2005. It had done Epic and was still in good nick.

?

I really enjoy it, that front suspension is just da bomb and I always keenly anticipate a bumpy?downhill.? Rear doesnt have that much travel but does help a bit, and has remote lock out.

?

I?have recently?done almost a complete?rebuild and update, and its in top shape now.? SRAM X0, Noir crankset, Hope X4 brakes etc

?

You can still get spares and service kits for it. I just redid all the bushings in the rear seat stays, which on the 2005 are composite (plastic). It needed the new bushings because it was seriasly creaking on the Lion Man, but all good now.

?

So you might want to factor in a major service,and upgrade components as you go along.? The latest lefty forks look a lot sexier, but its the same technology.

?

Let me know if I can be of any futher help.

?

?
[/quote']

Sounds great - And especially at that price in 2005. I know approximately what Scalpels should go for in each year, especially given the economy and how much Bicycles depreciate, but can't seem to find a newer model than 2005 second hand.

I don't want to have to go for anything else.

Your bike aside, I think 2005 is a bit old especially given that the chainstays are known to give trouble in earlier models. And YES, the seat stay is not Carbon on th 2005 model.

One Question - What Size bike could I fit into, optimally and comfortably if I am 183cm tall?

There is a Cannondale Rize 3 with LEfty for sale and it's a Medium....I think I would be a Large but would a Medium do?

And the LAST question - What are the main differences between the Cannondale Scalpel,RZ and Rush? From a performance view point, suspension and maintenance?If one considers the top model in each class...

There is a Cannondale Rize 3 with Lefty for sale for 22k. Brand New - Is this worth considering? How does it compare to the other models, ie the Rush and Scalpel...Not sure of it's components. Seems like it might be a bottom of the range Cannondale Ful Sus... smiley5.gif