Rudy Project vs D'Arcs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have taken the rudys sell them and bought 2 or 3 pairs of Darcs. But thats just me....

Thought of doing that but a set of D'Arcs with prescription lenses is R920 randts (R400 frame + R420 for prescription lenses for inserts). The prescription inserts are not universal so the Rudy inserts would need to be chucked.

Also found out from Rudy themselves that inserts are not across models. (Consider that I need to take this deal with the inserts and the prescribed lenses).

With CWC awesome deals, whats the chance of selling 2nd hand sunnies for more than R1K - not worth the time and effort on my side.

cbrunsdon2010-06-04 05:04:47

I have some nifty blue framed blue reflective tint lensed darcs and they look cool and work well. I rate them. Then again I havent ever worn Rudy's and pobably never will because I cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money.Cool

Just because something is more expensive it doesnt necesarily mean its better, it just means they have a better marketing team. :)

(ok not in all cases) but more often than not. I tried the rudies tried D'arcs and even though D'arc doesnt look that cool, i find it much more comfortable both frame and lenses are softer on my eyes

covie, very often yes, the price is in hte marketing. but having extremely sensitive eyes and having been though cornea transplants for both eyes differences in refraction and glare reduction are very obvious to me.

of the cheaper brands though, d'arcs are the best - as i said before i used them for adventure racing but only for the "high risk" sections. anything else the difference in quality for glare reduction etc was worth using the Bolle's (i was lucky and was sponsored my Bolle's and the insurance payout on those left minimal extra to pay in to get the rudy's when i had to replace)

Love my D'arcs - never tried Rudys.

I think for me the Rudys was a let down. To be fair to RPs, this is not a 2010 or 2009 model and its not like I was told here are 30 different models now select the one you like the best.

But I'm doing what I did 2yrs ago when I got my normal prescription glasses. I tried 5 different pairs, selected the best 3 and then waited a day before I decide.

My optom even allowed me to take the 3 frames home to decide (but it was my risk if I lost them).

End of the day I walked away with the most comfortable frame I could find (and it was not the most expensive either, but neither the cheapest).

Rudy RB3 is more than 10 years old - really crazy argument to even try and compare with Rudy (by the way did anyone notice Rudy Project riders got 1,2&3 in the Giro - not bad).  Consider also Rydon was originally launched in 2003 and is still the best Cycling eyewear in my view - that model has a long list of awards won over the years and the ImpactX photochromic lenses are the best out there in my view.  Also saw these new models on the new www.buycycle.co.za website - really cool!

For R1290 (RRP) with Photo Clear lenses I think it's worth checking out!

20100604_124536_swifty_frozenas.jpg

Guest Agteros

Expensive glasses are just as overrated as expensive bicycles, expensive gear and expensive supplements. These are merely tools to perform certain functions. So go for the cheapest you can get to perform the function. Anything more is merely to stroke the ego, and any attempt to justify the waste of money is an attempt to self delusion!

Agteros2010-06-04 13:07:51

Wow - that's heavy...and a little depressing!!  ...on top of that it makes no sense :)

Rudy RB3 is more than 10 years old - really crazy argument to even try and compare with Rudy (by the way did anyone notice Rudy Project riders got 1' date='2&3 in the Giro?- not bad).? Consider also Rydon was originally launched in 2003 and is still the best Cycling eyewear in my view - that model has a long list of awards won over the years and the ImpactX photochromic lenses are the best out there in my view.? Also saw these new models on the new www.buycycle.co.za website - really cool!

?

For R1290 (RRP)?with Photo Clear lenses I think it's worth checking out!

20100604_124536_swifty_frozenas.jpg
[/quote']

As mentioned before I do not know the Rudy brands and its either the RB3 or Rydons I. I will actually get another look on Monday/Tuesday when I confirm my purchase.

Also the statement of saying riders came first,second & 3rd because they wore Rudy's is laughable.

I got nothing against the brand, its just funny that at my optom their best selling sports glasses is D'Arcs and Addidas. Considering the LSM market they cater for, its a very interesting thing.

But each his own and I'm not knocking anyone who prefers Rudys.

Expensive glasses are just as overrated as expensive bicycles' date=' expensive gear and expensive supplements...

[/quote']

And the joke for me is that when offered an expensive pair at the budget pairs price, I find the budget pair more comfortable.

Guest Agteros

Yep, sad when cost is confused with quality and when form is chosen above function Ermm

Obviously, there will be times when the cheaper option will not be the right option, but hey start at the least expensive side and work up (function).

Unfortunately fashion (peer pressure - that stuff high school kids have to contend with, and grown ups should know about) makes most people decide from the top to bottom (price)

Agteros about the ego stroking thing, you know for some people getting their ego stroked is better than no stroke at all ;)