Oude Molen MTB Challenge - Grabouw

Stillwater

Wow what a cool race. :clap:

The weather wasn't that bad, in fact I think this area was probably the most sheltered in the Cape.

The route was very cool and had a good mix of everything and yet it wasn't muddy. Gritty and dirty in places but no slosh.

Post race was the best I've seen this side of Sani2C. For a day race to offer free massages, Rehydrate, Pronutro and milk, sweets, Jellies, chocolates, liquorice allsorts and free rusks was 1st class. Yes the entry fees were 150, but one massage will cost that. They has bike wash facilities and stage racing type parking trellises. There were hot showers as well. Advertised distances were spot on too.

Timing was complicated by people ducking on the wrong route for the short distances, but sorted out within 30 minutes and posted on a notice wall and on 42" plasma...

I will be back next year!

Anyone know who took the photo's?

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

enige iemand in vi die een op 18 august 2012? eks in vir di 60km

18 Sat of Son 19? Dog dis Son 19?

Can you please do something about the weather so I can train for this.

I think you've got a snowball's hope in hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the 60km , it was an awesome ride, but **** it was muddy as heck. There were pools of water everywhere even the jeeptrack was hard to ride. The bikes took a beating. Very well organised. My only gripe is why did the organisers insist on the 35km route being merged with our route on a few occasions especially when there was singletrack. Grabouw is technical enough for seasoned mtbers but when you throw 2 fields on the ST when the one field have no idea how to ride it became a slight irritation. All in all though i loved the ride. And to the moaning minnies whining about R160 entry fee to ride that parts of that route on day 2 at w2w you will pay R1500 for your troubles so put it into perspective.

The ride was super muddy. And some of those "puddles" were waist deep. The rocky single track must have been an absolute mess for the back markers. Mud mud and more mud were the order of the day. All the 35km riders I encountered on the 60km single track were most courteous. I asked for track and they all immediately pulled over.

So david george finished in 2h40 - man thats fast :/

The ride was super muddy. And some of those "puddles" were waist deep. The rocky single track must have been an absolute mess for the back markers. Mud mud and more mud were the order of the day. All the 35km riders I encountered on the 60km single track were most courteous. I asked for track and they all immediately pulled over.

So david george finished in 2h40 - man thats fast :/

didn't think it was that muddy - more the pools of water that were a bit kuk. But this is MTB - you've got to take the **** with the sugar. Great route. Only problem is by the time I got to the best singletrack I was too tired to enjoy it. Anyone doing Gravel Travel on Staurday?

didn't think it was that muddy - more the pools of water that were a bit kuk. But this is MTB - you've got to take the **** with the sugar. Great route. Only problem is by the time I got to the best singletrack I was too tired to enjoy it. Anyone doing Gravel Travel on Staurday?

Ive entered the gravel travel the 75km but im a bit kuk scared of the claimed 1850m climbing, oudemoulen had 1450m climbing and i was knakkered. So not sure if i have what it takes to do the 75km.

Ive entered the gravel travel the 75km but im a bit kuk scared of the claimed 1850m climbing, oudemoulen had 1450m climbing and i was knakkered. So not sure if i have what it takes to do the 75km.

I'm also in the 75km and that's going to be 75km of pain.