belt drive & geared hubs...

rudi-h

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting for the final quote, cause they have to fit a chain tensioner etc because it's a full-sus bike. The price on the hub itself is around R13k - R14k...

Eish, that is expensive but very nice

I think something like this might would for you

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37631

oops, I see that one isn't for dual sus

this one is

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37629

they say you add just under 500g to a XT / X9 setup and roughly 350g to a LX / X7 setup. The hub weighs in at around 1.7kg, but you throw out both deraileurs, two chainrings, the casette, the standard hub, one shifter and about 1/3rd of the chain.

Its a very interesting concept and one I've looked at. There are Companies in the US now making frames that allows one to use a belt drive.

jip, there are some very cool stuff out there. Check out Katz bikes (http://www.katz-bikes.com/). It's in German, but Google Translate makes life a bit easier. With these bikes the chain runs within the rear swingarm, thus the entire drivetrain is enclosed.

Don't know why it takes so long for good technology to hit mainstream. Same thing with tubeless rims. Everyone rides tubeless, but 9 in 10 guys still struggle with rim strips and home made conversions. Not even the 40k bikes have tubeless rims standard.

I bit the bullet. My bikes at BRC right now being converted to a "maintenance free rig". I did some calcs based on the rate that I replace / break / wear drive components (Deore / SRAM X7)' date=' and it seems that the "rohloff conversion" will pay for itself in less than 5 years (10000 km)[/quote']

Wow, 5 year payback.  Looking at the bikes standing around at the races, most cyclists buy a new bike every 4 years or so?

In my "company" (read = household budget), your project will never be approved.smiley36.gif

Good luck with the conversion!

For a more affordable option check out the Shimano "Alfine" gear hub. Quite a lot of guys in the UK are using them as they are about 20% of the price of the Rohloff conversion (they'd probably last 20%  as long too....).

On CRC you can buy everything you need for around 3K but would then still need to build it into a rim. It only has 8 gears and I guess comparing it to the Rohloff would be like comparing a Beetle to a Bentley but as an "experiment" it's a hell of a lot cheaper than dropping 15K on a Rohloff.

Apparently they are bringing out an Alfine 11 speed.

Would love to get one, saw one on a Silverback commuter bike last year.

The problem is the Shimano (Coolheat) doesn't have spares for them

Ya Flowta I am def going to build one as a spare / geared wheel for my Inbred 29! Maybe we can pick up some old stock 8 speeds on the cheap then....

I want one where gears change automatically based on wheel speed. (centrifical force) so all I have to do is turn the peddles. no shifters, no cables. and almost nothing to clean

Looking at the cost and the added weight this is certainly one of those "want to" and not a "have to" additions to a bike.

That said, I also like the idea of a DEPENDABLE gearbox/hub and the chain line of a single speed.

Got my bike on Friday, so went for a nice ride yesterday. The instant shifting and the grip shifter takes some getting used to, but otherwise this thing is out of this world.

After one ride it's obviously too early to compare against my old X9 / XT / LX setup, but for now I can't wipe the smile off my face!

post-14749-076347600 1277044098_thumb.jpg

post-14749-040101000 1277044084_thumb.jpg

post-14749-000967900 1277044060_thumb.jpg