Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

It's probably a bit of built in buffer for exchange rate volatility. Takes a couple days for the cash to get to their account, so they have to be assured that the ACTUAL sale price is paid. Since we've seen extreme volatility, and it's well known that our currency is one of the more volatile, it makes sense. 

i dont understand that, they get paid in pounds, you get charged in rands, you carry the exchange risk not them, right?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont understand that, they get paid in pounds, you get charged in rands, you carry the exchange risk not them, right?

They do as well, as it can go either way. If the pound weakens, you win and they lose... Unless I'm completely off the mark and you get charged GBP regardless..

the ZAR pricing on their website is just a guideline, you are still paid the exact GBP as they are asking.

they're just taking advantage of what is hot in certain areas and pushing the price up where they know they can get away with it.

I always compare:  Pounds, South Africa Delivery.  

I have not seen CRC the cheapest on any of the stuff I looked at.  Between Evans Cycles, Merlin and Westbrook I have always found it cheaper than at CRC.  All three those others always deduct the full 20% UK VAT.

She is still going to pay 14% vat + 10 ATV, seeing as its not a ZA bike returning. Don't try and Use a invoice that says its parts. If they see that its actually a Bicycle and not parts, you will also be paying a Heavy Penalty on top of your vat. And that's not worth it. Customs people are very accommodating and reasonable...  

Being blessed...

Eventually I ordered the complete bike for direct shipping via courier to SA.  Was stuck in EMS for c 4 days with nothing happening, but once I got hold of them on the phone it was released in a day, but the amount payable seemed wrong...   :eek:

But I saw that customs classified it as "Other" this morning when I collected, therefore there was no 15% import duty.  

I asked them about it:

"Are you sure the amount is correct, is there no duty payable?"

"What is it?"  

" A bicycle"

"Well, it seems as if if is your lucky day."

"Thank you very much!  Have a blessed day!"

And made sure I get out of there before they changed their minds...    :D  :clap:

Being blessed...

Eventually I ordered the complete bike for direct shipping via courier to SA. Was stuck in EMS for c 4 days with nothing happening, but once I got hold of them on the phone it was released in a day, but the amount payable seemed wrong... :eek:

But I saw that customs classified it as "Other" this morning when I collected, therefore there was no 15% import duty.

I asked them about it:

"Are you sure the amount is correct, is there no duty payable?"

"What is it?"

" A bicycle"

"Well, it seems as if if is your lucky day."

"Thank you very much! Have a blessed day!"

And made sure I get out of there before they changed their minds... :D :clap:

You are one lucky guy... Doesn't seem like they know their Tarrif Codes... If you see a extra charge on your next tax return,it will be for the bike ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ( just joking)

You are one lucky guy... Doesn't seem like they know their Tarrif Codes... If you see a extra charge on your next tax return,it will be for the bike ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ( just joking)

nah, don't underrate them Lexx: i got an LVI blessing on shoes once.... or twice.. :P

They do as well, as it can go either way. If the pound weakens, you win and they lose... Unless I'm completely off the mark and you get charged GBP regardless..

All online shops charge in their home currency. They get the value of the sale and you carry the exchange risk. Plus 3% commission for the bank for using their card.

If a site like CRC offers free delivery it actually means it is coming out of the VAT they don't charge on the export. VAT in UK is 20%, I have never seen them reduce the price by 20% when location is changed from local to export. Normal reduction is around 10% so they are pocketing the additional 10% as margin, less the cost of postage.

Evans tends to reduce the price by 20% and then charge delivery.

• 1 month later...