Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

pity i cant sticky this: but admin, would you be so kind?

Got this from UPS today:

Cycling shorts (classified as clothing): 45%

shoes: 30%

socks: 40 -45% depending on material used

bags: 30%

Gloves: 30%

Helmets (fullface or other): 25%

Knee pads and other protective equipment: 20%

plastic bottles: 15%

whole bicycles: 15%

Goggles, sunglasses: 0%

bike components: 0%

cycling electronics: 0%

Gels, powdered drinks: 20%

How to account for duties, VAT etc (thanks Myles). Note: item price depends upon ruling exchange rates at the time the transaction is completed with the retailer.

Please provide updates/corrections if you have any. Thanks smile.png I will update this post accordingly.

Thanks to Velouria for the find and Edman for bringing this to my attention:

Import Duty Calculator

Any idea what the duties would be on tools? 

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They let me pay the deposit by PayPal, but they get hit 5% of the amount in charges.

Its a large store in Italy and is legit, I think because they are doing me a really good deal there margin is probably pretty tight so they trying to make as much out of it as possible which I can understand and if it wasn't such a mission I would do the EFT route. But I really don't feel like fighting for a month to get the right paperwork in place.

That's why I'm querying if anyone has any bright ideas on how to do this and reduce the charges?

So what happened?

Might have been easier to ask them to add the 5% (or whatever their cost would be for CC) and then pay that amount via Credit Card ? :thumbup:  

Or was there another way out...

Any idea what the duties would be on tools? 

only VAT

Maybe I was just unlucky, but I've previously been charged 20% duty on tools...

Does anyone know what the import duties are on electronics? Specifically looking at getting a Wrist based HRM, but not sure if this counts as cycling electronics or now (which according the threads on the hub does not have any levies/duties, just the regular Bought For price +10% (markup or such) +15% (Vat).

Seems like we are being ripped of big time in SA with these devices if you look at the international RRP in USD/EUR/GBP and ZAR, dont understand why we sometimes end up paying 40-50% more.

only VAT

Good to know thanks  :thumbup:

yeah, pretty sure you were unlucky or there was something in your tools they didn't think was a tool or something.

yeah, pretty sure you were unlucky or there was something in your tools they didn't think was a tool or something.

Most tools pay 20% duty.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that not all tool are VAT only.  Most woodworking and machining tools does not have a customs charge but there are a lot of cycling tools that attracts a 20% customs charge.  Best bet will be to download the Customs & Excise Tariff schedule off the SARS website and search for the specific tool you want to import.

• 1 month later...

If I buy a new bike in Europe and personally bring it back into SA by plane, what duty/charges can I expect to pay at Customs ? Would there be any difference if I only bring the frame back ?

• 1 month later...

Just received this article from EBay regards imports new regs

https://www.gov.za/services/import/individual-or-personal-goods

Do you now need a permit to import tyres??

I believe that bicycle tyres are exempt from this requirement:

http://www.itac.org.za/upload/Gazette%2022%20December%202016.pdf

A friend's bicycle tyre import was held by Aramex because of this, but they let it through after he showed them this doc.

I believe that bicycle tyres are exempt from this requirement:

http://www.itac.org.za/upload/Gazette%2022%20December%202016.pdf

A friend's bicycle tyre import was held by Aramex because of this, but they let it through after he showed them this doc.

Thanks.

Now I need to figure out if there is a way to avoid the 15% duty if I import a recumbant trike from Taiwan which is shipped in one carton with complete parts since it is for use by a disabled person

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know anything about the duties on ebike components?

Very keen to bring in a battery pack and a motor conversion kit (Bafang or similar) but I can't work out if customs will nail me?

Its likely that the motor kit and the battery wouldn't be sent in the same shipment.

Does anyone know anything about the duties on ebike components?

Very keen to bring in a battery pack and a motor conversion kit (Bafang or similar) but I can't work out if customs will nail me?

Its likely that the motor kit and the battery wouldn't be sent in the same shipment.

hard too say...it will be open to interpretation and/or product description on the invoices etc.   Going by the feelings on whether they are bicycles or motorbikes on this forum alone you might have a 50/50% chance lol.

see below:

batteries might also be seen has "hazzmatts" ie hazardous materials?

https://www.sars.gov.za/AllDocs/LegalDoclib/SCEA1964/LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04%20-%20Schedule%20No%201%20Part%201%20Chapters%201%20to%2099.pdf

what is considered "not motorised"?

EDIT: best case free...worst case 25%?

post-64325-0-15282700-1557392223_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-49861900-1557392355_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

• 2 months later...

Thanks MorneS555 this is a massive help! Going to import some Sram groupset and will save 50% on what they are charging over here!

hard too say...it will be open to interpretation and/or product description on the invoices etc.   Going by the feelings on whether they are bicycles or motorbikes on this forum alone you might have a 50/50% chance lol.

see below:

batteries might also be seen has "hazzmatts" ie hazardous materials?

https://www.sars.gov.za/AllDocs/LegalDoclib/SCEA1964/LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04%20-%20Schedule%20No%201%20Part%201%20Chapters%201%20to%2099.pdf

what is considered "not motorised"?

EDIT: best case free...worst case 25%?