CWCycles Wendesday rides

Chris Willemse

I agree with the idea of a slower group but not less distance. As mentioned before - we can handle the distance but the race snakes kill us on pace. Wednesday - it was a tail wind and downhill all the way to silos - so of course all feel strong and go like hell - but the return into the wind - and those bl@@dy hills at full speed - eish. We were going to make our own night group after wednesday - but from other replies - it appears a slower group is required by a few others too - so it would be great if we could get this working better.

My views on the Group ride

We have many riders who want the distance but not the elite race pace.

[With no race snakes, somebody still needs to do the up- front work (into wind etc.) and if the riders are 99% wannabes and wheel suckers the group goes super slow – i.e. they must really be fit enough]

It appears that there may be a shorter time/distance requirement for some newbie / limit time riders / etc. So, we need 3 groups.

[how/can organizers manage 3 groups re routes/backup vehicle?]

It is a problem when the 1 group joins or waits for the other - i.e. join slower with faster riders - because they all take off at full speed again - dropping the slower guys - and instead of two groups we have chaos murder death kill.

[how do we stop riders joining another group – i.e. slower trying to hang on to another group?]

There are always guys who are in the race snake category who go ride in a slower group and push the pace too hard (!@#$%)– and worse, splits up the group too much and in the second half of the ride they just do their own thing and ride away from the others - some guys desperately hang on but eventually it’s a long split group with murder death kill at the tail end.

[How do we keep these snsofbtchs in control ?]

If the groups start only 15 min apart they catch the earlier group too soon.

[Probably not practical to split the depart times further – not many can start earlier than 6 pm (it’s a race from work to ride location) – and will the race snakes start later – say 7pm ?

[Get home too late, wife, girlfriend, anger, your food is ‘in the dog’, murder death kill.]

It is too problematic to try and arrange the times so that all the groups rejoin at a point along the route – the split times are too short.

[let’s forget deliberately trying to join along the route]

Cyclists think only of themselves. They don’t like rules and being told when to wait, when to slow down, when to work in a group.

[All who want to join in the Wednesday rides must be told it is on condition that they are team players – not individuals who do their own thing. The organizers go to great trouble and sacrifice to assist with their safety and support. If they don’t follow the group rules they are not welcome to join in. Example: - if they break a chain, nobody helps or waits and they get mugged or run over on their walk home they will want to accuse the organizers. If you want to join the group, you join the rules.]

So, the suggestion:-

(although I am documenting it, my impression is that this is basically along the original ideas and thoughts of the organizer – the Big C himself )

Before the start (and in web rides notifications)

• All Riders must know that they individually have a group commitment if they want to join the Wednesday parade.

• If riders are not prepared to ride by the rules, they are not welcome.

• If they find they are in the wrong group (example too slow for them) they can work more into the wind and ….Tough Sh!t, they can change next week.

The Groups

6 .00 pm “Short Snort” - 25/30 km for “novice or time limited” riders

6.15 pm – “Determined Donners” - 40/50+ km for slower “iron baldies with boeps” and so on.

6.30 pm “Race Snakes” - 40/50+ km for the “main manne what counts”

AND the Group Control

(1) A Group Captain must be appointed for each group.

The group Captain (and helper if available) will basically:-

• Wear a clear ‘marker’ – best would be a “neon safety vest” over their cycle top.

• Identify himself to the group before start.

• Brief group on their commitment (to stay together), route and pace

• Be responsible to keep the group together.

• Set the general pace

• Tell riders were to regroup (i.e. if some race up / down hills etc.)

• Wait for the group at intervals/regroup points, and confirms all present.

• Monitor (slows pace) when guys fall behind at stops/traffic lights etc.

AND

(2) Groups must be kept Separate• Groups must not stop at the same place at the same time

• If another group catches up – they must pass – no riders swopping groups.

Phew !....

Thanks Mr Lounge Lizard...

I've found the pace vlippin hard the last 2 weeks - it seems that when there are 2 or 3 specific riders there, they try and be "windgat" and just rip the group to shreds. I like your idea of everyone committing to the group, that way if they want to be "windgat" they can go ride on their own.

Thanks for your positive input Lizard. Much appreciated ;)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody.

Please spread the word as far as possible that we will have 2 rides as from Wednesday.

6:00 will be the slow ride and

6:30 will be the fast ride.

Thanks for your committment to these rides, Chris. We all really appreciate you doing this for the sport...

I will be spreading the word...

Thanks Marius and everyone who cares about the ride. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are going to become a major training group. Thanks to all of you. lets get more info. I like the idea of a leader / someone in controll of every group.

The only problem is that soon we will have to get another voluntere with a car to help with backup but I am sure we will cross that bridge when when get to it.

I hope you all will have super weekend and be careful while on the road.

Just a reminder: Tomorrow we will have two rides at two different times.

18:00 Slow and not so fit group leaving at 18:00 from the shop.

18:30 Faster and fitter riders. NB If you want to ride with this group and you get left behind within the 1st 15km then you have to turn around. After 15km we will make sure that you stay with the bunch.

PLEASE spread the word about the 2 bunches. Much appreciated.

I Take it that a lot of you who is taking part in this discussion, is actually doing the rides.

Can you guys give me some input on the lights you use, Chris, if I am hijacking the thread, please post it and then we start a new thread on that.

Thanks guys.

I Take it that a lot of you who is taking part in this discussion, is actually doing the rides.

Can you guys give me some input on the lights you use, Chris, if I am hijacking the thread, please post it and then we start a new thread on that.

Thanks guys.

Hi Scuzzy - i advise you get a decent light for these rides, it is quite dark once we leave durbanville. it seems like most guys use magiclights, and a bright'ish flashing light for the rear. The first time I rode with I used a guppy light up front - NOT recommeneded :blink: - I now use an Owlight from the cwconline (R599) and it works perfect for me (I'm not sure if they have stock at the moment thoui)..

Hope to see you on Wednesday eve.

Will be nice to have you both here plus another few friends.

What do they say? Spread the word and lets have 2 big groups.

Scuzzy. No you do not hijack it . You are more than welcome to ask questions. We have a few different lights.

Magic lights ,Magic shine ,Sigma Karma and Sigma Power Led ect all being fitted on the bars and Black diamond Icon ect that they fit on the helmets.

Please pop in and we can do a demonstration for you.

Chris when Killarny night riding starts up in a couple of weeks time then some guys will be torn between doing one or the other. Would be great if we can have both these rides on alternative days. Killarny Wednseday nights could kill the legs of the fast guys and then on a Thursday night we could have a much more enjoyable CWC ride :-)

Thanks. Will keep that in mind and will chat to the riders although most is MTB riders who does not ride Killarny. Will definitely consider it strongly. Thanks for the info.

It seems like its going to be a perfect evening for our night ride tonight. Remember 2 rides.

18:00 Slow ride and 18:30 faster and fitter riders.

SEE YOU ALL TONIGHT and do not forget to BRING A FRIEND WITH

Hi Tyger.

Lets see how many riders will turn up for the slow group. We can then decide on the distance. If no wind then we can do 40/45km which will mean that the 6.30 group should catch you towards the end. Its going to be many riders. Had quite a few calls as well.

Till later this afternoon

Just popped in Chirs JR and Christof were busy with that fun activity called stock take. ;) can't do the magic light thing this month' so the sales staff on the floor recommended i take a black diamond icon headlamp.

Hopeing it will be enough so i dont do a Chris JR and invest in some earth :D