supplements???

I use a whey protien supplement when I'm training hard. But then I'm not a competitive cyclist and do alot of general gyming and swimming aswell. I just wanted something to increase my protien intake esp when I cant be bothered to cook and eat well. 

I've found it really helps improve recovery and reduce muscle fatigue, as well as gaining lean muscle. I'm pretty suspicious of the general high protein/muscle gain products because they have all sorts of other things in them, but a pure whey product is natural and high quality protein.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can anybody tell me of their experiences with supplementation' date=' just to get an idea for what works and what doesnt. [/quote']

Cytomax!!

More people try copy Cytomax products than any other, they have a full range energy drinks to recovery gels etc.

Quite a few pros sponsored by other brands still by cytomax and put it in there bottles

• 3 weeks later...

Used stuff from ESPI, worked GREAT!!! but apperently their sponsor to the Bulls team wasn't good idea, now they are no more, as far as I know.  I'm using energy dynamics and sometimes Game(works great as well).  Was introduced to Hammer 2 weeks ago, works well, too expensive over here, their "gu" did nothing for me, but the "shake" works like hell.

On the bike: Cadence Nutrition's Revolution

After the bike: Cadence Nutrition's Revive

Cadence is widely available in Cape Town bike shops (Olympic, Engelbrecht, Bowman's). Some Jhb bike shops have it. I don't normally recommend one nutrition product over another, but this stuff really makes an obvious difference. I use some of the other products in the range, but those two are the basics you can start with.

Perc are bringing out a Cycling specific range of nutrition products and supplements.  I have been using their meal replacement, as well as their carbohydrate drinks and energy gels - good results.  They are one of the few companies that have a energy drink with a small amount of protein in it.  I take one bottle of that, and one bottle of pure carbohydrate and it works well for me.

Cadence Prologue works well as a pre-race drink - used it before the Zoo Lake criterium and I felt okay with the very intense start!

• 2 weeks later...

It is very interesting reading what others say about supplements. What is very off putting is the unjustified claims like "Dodgy Ingredients". Angry One cannot make accusations like this without firm evidence. Boeing, i would dearly love to know where you get this from. Have you ever been on to their website to see how their products were formulated? Each and every athlete is different and different supplements work for different athletes. FiT are one of the only locally manufactured products in this country that have not jumped on the Dischem etc bandwagon. They have been loyal to the cycle shops in general and each and every one of their products has been formulated by a cancer survivor. Ring a bell? Yes just like the one and only Lance Armstrong. So do yourself a favour and try as many supplements you want and then make the call yourself.

There really is only one supplemunt/energy drink . APPLE juice . Before , during , after , in the middle of the night anytime ! It is even a nice mix with your Rum !

There really is only one supplemunt/energy drink . APPLE juice . Before ' date=' during , after , in the middle of the night anytime ! It is even a nice mix with your Rum ![/quote']

apple juice and rum. thought i'd seen it all

i did the D2D and was on my own time trialing from the 45km mark. when i got to the finish line i realised i still had my two gu's in my pocket. I had two bottles, one water and one energy drink which i did not finish.

I did not stuff around and rode !@@#! hard... i cannot say i felt any different after the race compared to races where i did take energy gels Confused

i did the D2D and was on my own time trialing from the 45km mark. when i got to the finish line i realised i still had my two gu's in my pocket. I had two bottles' date=' one water and one energy drink which i did not finish.

I did not stuff around and rode !@@#! hard... i cannot say i felt any different after the race compared to races where i did take energy gels Confused

[/quote']

thats prob because  you carbo loaded really well for the race... good sign of fitness. sometimes when u are going all out you cant think of eating

It is very interesting reading what others say about supplements. What is very off putting is the unjustified claims like "Dodgy Ingredients". Angry One cannot make accusations like this without firm evidence. Boeing' date=' i would dearly love to know where you get this from. Have you ever been on to their website to see how their products were formulated? Each and every athlete is different and different supplements work for different athletes. FiT are one of the only locally manufactured products in this country that have not jumped on the Dischem etc bandwagon. They have been loyal to the cycle shops in general and each and every one of their products has been formulated by a cancer survivor. Ring a bell? Yes just like the one and only Lance Armstrong. So do yourself a favour and try as many supplements you want and then make the call yourself.[/quote']

This is just one example, there are many more of these obscure chemicals in supplements.

Read this article http://www.geocities.com/missionstmichael/MSG.html Some of these are found in FiT and probably most other protein/meal replacement supplements as well  = > Glutamate, Glutamic acid, Gelatin, Monosodium glutamate, Calcium

caseinate, Textured protein, Monopotassium glutamate, Sodium caseinate,

Yeast nutrient, Yeast extract, Yeast food, Autolyzed yeast, Hydrolyzed

protein. It all basically contain MSG! I'd say it is dodgy Shocked

the only time a gu has worked for me: the 2000 rhodes challenge. i really sucked. after the last big climb, i took a walk into the bushes where i smoked a joint i'd stashed in my back pocket (i knew it was gonna be a long race - i've stopped this habit BTW). when i came back out onto the course there was a guy who i'd passed/been passed by the whole race. he'd broken his chain. after i fixed it for him, he asked: "what are you on?". paranoid, i wondered: "how the hell did he know?" then he passed me a baggie of corn syrup. my belly musta been empty, cos it was like swallowing cocaine. i flew over the "flats" and down that concrete jeep track.

other than that, i've felt no discernable difference after using gu's or syrups.

i did the D2D and was on my own time trialing from the 45km mark. when i got to the finish line i realised i still had my two gu's in my pocket. I had two bottles' date=' one water and one energy drink which i did not finish.

[/quote']

thats prob because  you carbo loaded really well for the race... good sign of fitness. sometimes when u are going all out you cant think of eating

I had a decent breakfast and I find a decent breakfast makes a huge difference. I noticed when I eat eggs in the morning it gives me a noticeable shot of endurance. I did a bit of research and noted that an egg contains all the vitamins and minerals except for vitamin c.

chow a banana afterwards or mix it all together in a blender and I am sharp sharp!

epoh, that sounds like a lethel concogsion, pitty that i cant get eggs in my stomach.

I only race mtb, prefer endurance races. anyone tried the biogen stuff from ccycle lab. looking for some good stuf to tackle the Epic with. Help pleaseEmbarrassed