Bar ends on riser bars...

Stretched@Birth

tarmac, exhuast fumes, tarmac dodging cars tarmac, tarmac traffic jams, tarmac the smell of bergies and pee pollution, and dirty streets.

Not really a tough choice but thats just me matey.

that's funny, with 18 years of cycling behind me I've only come across two of that you mentioned. Besides, you can not travel at 80-100km/h on dirt.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then what? Put a riser bar and bar ends on it? Dude, the road riders have even more fashion police on patrol than the mtbers...

Dude I've even seen adjustable stems pointing up to the sky....

that's funny, with 18 years of cycling behind me I've only come across two of that you mentioned. Besides, you can not travel at 80-100km/h on dirt.

I have only ever managed 64kph but I am an amateur and was on a cheapish bike, I am pretty sure thats obtainable, maybe the hardcore guys can let us know,

But in reverse to that statement, I would love to see you go down a singletrack with your roadbike, but please tell me when and where so i can get the camera ready. Would be super cool to see that.

I have only ever managed 64kph but I am an amateur and was on a cheapish bike, I am pretty sure thats obtainable, maybe the hardcore guys can let us know,

But in reverse to that statement, I would love to see you go down a singletrack with your roadbike, but please tell me when and where so i can get the camera ready. Would be super cool to see that.

No, I mean you can not go downhill on the dirt on a MTB at the speed you can go downhill on the tar on a road bike.

It's like saying you cant put straight bars on a trail bike...STUPID!

Correct. It will be like putting a bottle cage on a trail bike or downhill bike.

No, I mean you can not go downhill on the dirt on a MTB at the speed you can go downhill on the tar on a road bike.

lol yeah obviously, Moegoe, but it still does'nt come close to the rush of pulling that jump, or staying on your MTB on a rocky patch at speed. Or wondering if you should be riding, swimming or walking the stream. But like i said before its just my humble opinion.

I dont want to start a roadie vs MTB war.

Wasn't the bicycle downhill speed record set on an MTB? :huh:

Guest Big H

Sorry, I was trying to restrain myself. I don't want to be muffed again...

Muffled or muzzled????? :lol:

Guest Big H

Correct. It will be like putting a bottle cage on a trail bike or downhill bike.

Yippppeeeee hy is terug!!!!!!! Welkom!!!!!!!!!

From wiki:

History of downhill records

During the last decade of the 20th century, two Frenchmen, Eric Barone and Christian Taillefer set the speed record on snow several times. On the 21st of April 2000, Eric Barone reached 222 km/h (138 mph) at Les Arcs ski resort, France, still a world record today, using a specially designed prototype bicycle.

If we analyse records using a serial production bicycle, as opposed to prototype bicycles, the record holder on snow is Markus Stöckl, from Austria. He managed to set a world speed record in year 1999, descending at 187 km/h (116 mph) at Les Arcs. On 14 September 2007, Stöckl rode an Intense M6 mountainbike down the ski slope of La Parva, Chile, reaching the current record of 210 km/h (130 mph). He has stated he wishes to beat Eric Barone's record.

The top descending speeds have always been obtained on snow. Apart from that, the ashes of a volcano have been the other surface used. In November 2001, Eric Barone descended on the Cerro Negro volcano in Nicaragua at 130 km/h (81 mph), beating his previous record achieved in Hawaii in 1999. Barone believed he could do more, and returned to the same location on the 12th of May 2002 when he reached 163 km/h (101 mph) on a serial bicycle and 172 km/h (107 mph), on a prototype bicycle, the current record.

From wiki:

What about that Howard dude (I think?) who slipstreamed that dragster in the eighties?

What about that Howard dude (I think?) who slipstreamed that dragster in the eighties?

from the same wiki entry:

John Howard, Olympic cyclist and Ironman triathlon winner, set a 244 km/h (152 mph) speed record also at the Bonneville Salt Flats, on July 20, 1985.

Do a Google Image search for John Howard Bonneville Salt Flats - and look for the pic of the oke in lingerie and the exhaust pipe… :huh:

from the same wiki entry:

John Howard, Olympic cyclist and Ironman triathlon winner, set a 244 km/h (152 mph) speed record also at the Bonneville Salt Flats, on July 20, 1985.

Pretty impressive. And then he went and became president of Australia.

Do a Google Image search for John Howard Bonneville Salt Flats - and look for the pic of the oke in lingerie and the exhaust pipe… :huh:

OMG...