Painting a MTB Frame?

ChristopherJC

Back to city cycles. I think you'll find you needed a crank puller tool. They should have had one there

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I care !

and plenty of others care, thats why its significant enough to be a law in this country.

Theres no point in trying to defend this company, ... they have erred ... BIG TIME

Its not yet a fully enforced law in this country and i doubt it will ever be. Dont think our government has the manpower or resources to go and police this law across the country and at every 2nd bloke with a spray gun in his hand. Trust me im in the trade and its extremly dificult to get these guys to wear their protective gear supplied to them free of charge but at huge cost to the company.

You are ignorant !

Take the time to read the OHSA and the BCOEA.

Spraying involves thinners.

This man is seriously damaging his health. (and possibly the health of others).

He and his employer are contravening the law.

Thinners is not the harmful substance but rather the Iso-cyanides found in the hardener that is mixed with your clear coats and 2k systems. ;) But that is old school. There is pretty nifty new paint systems on the market that is infact waterbased and poses minimal threat if any whatsoever to your health or the environment. Evolution is great! :)

Anal Walk..what a sh*t place to be....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats correct.

Shitty Cycles

Anal Walk

Crap Mechanics?

Something smells.

I'm sure that the old chap is well aware and years later, still stands by his choice. But a valid point none-the-less.

BeOne, you shouldn't do drugs and then post on public forums, you're not doing your public image any good ;)

Shebeen, the pivot is just above the crank. This evening I came right with a little help from ChrisH. There was some light, stratigical hammering involved :) 4 hits max.

I have just come out of the garage after 2 hours, frame suspended from the roof in 2 parts. The Plascom Paint Removal 'Paint' works really well. REALLY well. However, it seems that Raleigh (and I assume a lot of other brands) do not paint their frames evenly.

The areas where you'd expect a lot of stones (under the bottom bracket, etc) have this invisible clear-coat that I'd liken to "God's sweat". Nothing touches this stuff.

A lot of the paint pealed away nicely with minimal effort after a good 30 - 40mins soak. I then cleaned up the frame and got it ready for coat #2. The areas covered with God's Sweat, I brushed viciously with a wire brush. My theory was that the brush would cut through the coat and allow the remover access to the paint underneath and then in turn go under the Sweat and remove the rest. I was right. I was also lazy (did I mention that I have a throat infection..) and ran out of motivation at 23h00 to do a thorough job of the scraping, so now I have a grey and redish frame.

The entire read 'stay' section of the frame is also covered in the God's Sweat so I will attack that tomorrow night with the brush.

All in all, my DIY is going well. I will keep you guys updated and also do a nice how-to post project.

dcalitz93, where-a-bouts are those chaps? I live 500m away from Platekloof and that may save me a lot of hassels when it comes to the actual painting of the frame!

I AM ALARMED.

THIS IS MORE THAN SHOCKING: NO PPE: NO SKIN PROTECTION AND NO RESPIRATORY PROTECTION.

THIS PICTURE SHOULD BE SENT TO THE HEALTH DEPT AND THE LABOR DEPARTMENT.

I WOULD HOPE FOR THE HARSHEST OF PENALTIES TO BE IMPOSED FOR SUCH DISREGARD TO RULES AND REGULATIONS. I HOPE ALL ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES IN THIS ROOM ARE CLASS 1.

TERRIBLE.

I HAVE DELIBERATELY POSTED THIS PICTURE.

post-16982-066108100 1280946265.jpg

Okay, you don't actually see the guy spraying like that. Who says is was just not posed for the photo?

Okay, you don't actually see the guy spraying like that. Who says is was just not posed for the photo?

Now that is a spanner in the works!! :D

Tyrone is going to do the pretty pics as soon as my girlfriend has finished the design! That's tomorrow's mission.

The frame's completely stripped and flatted now.. now I just have to find someone in the CPT area that will actully paint it. I've been turned away by 2 bike shops already and 2 panel beaters :/ ...

Any ideas on CPT?

Tyrone is going to do the pretty pics as soon as my girlfriend has finished the design! That's tomorrow's mission.

The frame's completely stripped and flatted now.. now I just have to find someone in the CPT area that will actully paint it. I've been turned away by 2 bike shops already and 2 panel beaters :/ ...

Any ideas on CPT?

I have sent you a mail already RE BMC and Pure Art.

Or do they not spray Raleighs :D

I have sent you a mail already RE BMC and Pure Art.

Or do they not spray Raleighs :D

Hmmm, can you resend it boet? please send it to either chris@riply.co.za or chrisjc@voxdatapro.co.za B)

I found Pure Art's website and though I couldn't get through on the landline, I went through to the CBD to have a chat with them.

One of the motor bike repair shops in the same street informed me that they have moved to Fish Hoek.. He had their new contact details though so I enthusiastically called them. R1000 to paint the frame one colour.

Sigh..

I think that was his way of saying "I really am not in the mood to paint your bicycle"..

So the search continunes..

I found Pure Art's website and though I couldn't get through on the landline, I went through to the CBD to have a chat with them.

One of the motor bike repair shops in the same street informed me that they have moved to Fish Hoek.. He had their new contact details though so I enthusiastically called them. R1000 to paint the frame one colour.

Sigh..

I think that was his way of saying "I really am not in the mood to paint your bicycle"..

So the search continunes..

1000Z.A.R sounds right based on the panel shops in CT I have been speaking to ... and then I was being quoted that price should I have prepped the frame.

Flat colour paint = about R300.00 ex. clear coat ... rest goes to labour.

What were BMC coming in at price wise?

H

I didn't call BMC :/ Sigh.. demotivated. I am considering doing it myself. The thought of me being able to say - "Ja, I painted it."' "Ja, I know, it's awesome." - appeals ;)

Just to bring you guys up to speed. The frame's being cured and will be primered tomorrow :)

The vinyles have been ordered from our resident vinyl-guy tyrone.

It should all come together in the next week or so.. depending on logistics etc etc..

Then the move of all the parts. Really not looking forward to that!

In the mean-time - here's a taster:

http://riply.co.za/frame/Raleigh%20Frame%20Pics/02082010529.jpg